The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed May 03, 2017 5:24 pm

In case you haven't noticed, the preliminary program is now available. I'm busy preparing my spitball shooter and paper airplanes for Rick's lecture and trying to decide which other ones I want to go to. It's a little hard to know what some of them will really be about without a more detailed description, so hopefully that will come soon. There are a few lectures that look pretty interesting, but judging from this preliminary schedule, it doesn't look like it will be quite as good as last year. But, hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

For some reason, Norwegian and Esperanto seem to be the "in" languages this year. I could have used that five month study plan for Norwegian about 19 years ago. It's a bit late now. If only they had a five month plan for Finnish. Though, Gareth's "Fluent in 3 Decades" is probably more my style.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:In case you haven't noticed, the preliminary program is now available. I'm busy preparing my spitball shooter and paper airplanes for Rick's lecture and trying to decide which other ones I want to go to. It's a little hard to know what some of them will really be about without a more detailed description, so hopefully that will come soon. There are a few lectures that look pretty interesting, but judging from this preliminary schedule, it doesn't look like it will be quite as good as last year. But, hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

For some reason, Norwegian and Esperanto seem to be the "in" languages this year. I could have used that five month study plan for Norwegian about 19 years ago. It's a bit late now. If only they had a five month plan for Finnish. Though, Gareth's "Fluent in 3 Decades" is probably more my style.

Luckily my thing is day one, so everyone will forget how awful I am, and I can get down to some hardcore beer drinking and cookie eating. I thought there were more LL doing speeches, or do I just know know anyone’s actual name? Yeah, probably that.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Singing in Swedish dialects (don't they always sing?) ... I suppose booze is cheap in Bratislava :)
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd be interested in attending an asian version of one of these things. Taipei would be practically ideal imo.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu May 04, 2017 5:45 pm

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:In case you haven't noticed, the preliminary program is now available. I'm busy preparing my spitball shooter and paper airplanes for Rick's lecture and trying to decide which other ones I want to go to. It's a little hard to know what some of them will really be about without a more detailed description, so hopefully that will come soon. There are a few lectures that look pretty interesting, but judging from this preliminary schedule, it doesn't look like it will be quite as good as last year. But, hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

Luckily my thing is day one, so everyone will forget how awful I am, and I can get down to some hardcore beer drinking and cookie eating. I thought there were more LL doing speeches, or do I just know know anyone’s actual name? Yeah, probably that.

I am doing the one on gender and pronouns
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Who else is doing to the Slovak challenge? I might have overcommited to it. By my preliminary calculations, I should have done the B2 level on slovake.eu by the begining of the event, only starting learning this month no less.

The lectures don't sound as interesting as I imagined, but it could have been a lot worse. In particular I'm quite interested in those visitbait lectures of the type "Learn more with less effort.". Maybe they'll do some magick for me. :)

Looking forward to meeting some of you. Pity that we didn't come up with any secret handshake though. ;d
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Finally registered and booked accomodation! I went with airbnb in the end, as I've massively overspent this month :? I'm excited! Now i need to figure out where I'm going to find the money to book flights...
3 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Elenia wrote:Finally registered and booked accomodation! I went with airbnb in the end, as I've massively overspent this month :? I'm excited! Now i need to figure out where I'm going to find the money to book flights...

I went with wizzair. Was lucky enough to get like what, about 15 euro for one of the directions. I've heard some not so assuring things about budget airlines, but wizz is allegedly the best of them. Oh well, I guess I will learn the hard way.

Still need to confirm my registration at the dorm hotel, but am only willing to do that after my finals are successfully over. There dropout period is only 48 hours before the checkin they said, I really hope they hold on their word.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Vedun wrote:
Elenia wrote:Finally registered and booked accomodation! I went with airbnb in the end, as I've massively overspent this month :? I'm excited! Now i need to figure out where I'm going to find the money to book flights...

I went with wizzair. Was lucky enough to get like what, about 15 euro for one of the directions. I've heard some not so assuring things about budget airlines, but wizz is allegedly the best of them. Oh well, I guess I will learn the hard way.

Still need to confirm my registration at the dorm hotel, but am only willing to do that after my finals are successfully over. There dropout period is only 48 hours before the checkin they said, I really hope they hold on their word.

Everything is suddenly super expensive for me. Apparently no one but ryanair flies to Bratislava from London :/ I think I'm going to have to borrow money from myself. I knew I should have done this way back when in January!
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Elenia wrote:
Vedun wrote:

Everything is suddenly super expensive for me. Apparently no one but ryanair flies to Bratislava from London :/ I think I'm going to have to borrow money from myself. I knew I should have done this way back when in January!

Look into flying into Vienna and then the short bus ride.
It is a much cheaper method of getting there.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Travel and Culture”