Ways to spend a summer in Germany

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Ways to spend a summer in Germany

Postby Random Review » Sat May 21, 2016 7:10 am

I really want to spend this summer focussing on German again.

Does anyone know any realistic ways to spend a summer working in Germany on a very limited budget?
I currently work as an English teacher in Spain, but appreciate that it's much more competitive in Germany, also I'd ideally like to work in a German-speaking environment if possible (English teaching is usually an "all-English" environment). I worked as a Kitchen Porter for 8 years and in the UK there were a lot of foreign KP's with only basic English, would this be possible in Germany too (i.e. work with only basic German)? I'd be willing to go back to being a KP for a summer in a German-speaking environment . I guess there are probably a lot of seasonal jobs in an English-speaking environment (to take advantage of the tourist season) but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance
1 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Ways to spend a summer in Germany

Postby IronMike » Sat May 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Random Review wrote:I really want to spend this summer focussing on German again.

Does anyone know any realistic ways to spend a summer working in Germany on a very limited budget?

Hey Random Review,
My son just learned about helpx.net which is a work exchange where you work for room and board.

There is also http://www.talktalkbnb.com/ which is basically air bnb for language geeks: you get free board for agreeing to speak to your hosts.

I've done neither of these, but I'm dying to hear more about them, so if you do, please report back!

Good luck
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sun May 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Random Review wrote:I really want to spend this summer focussing on German again.

I currently work as an English teacher in Spain, but appreciate that it's much more competitive in Germany, also I'd ideally like to work in a German-speaking environment if possible (English teaching is usually an "all-English" environment). I worked as a Kitchen Porter for 8 years and in the UK there were a lot of foreign KP's with only basic English, would this be possible in Germany too (i.e. work with only basic German)? I'd be willing to go back to being a KP for a summer in a German-speaking environment . I guess there are probably a lot of seasonal jobs in an English-speaking environment (to take advantage of the tourist season) but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance

Are you an EU citizen?

But perhaps that's not necessary for casual work.

How about bar work? And actually, the less upmarket (and more "shady" or "louche") the bar, probably the more exposure to real German you might get (and they might be willing to bend the rules for people who are not normally eligible to work in Germany). I was thinking of places like Hamburg, or of course, Berlin. If you went with enough money to survive a couple of weeks, or better, a month, perhaps you could just go round the bars, asking. (That in itself might be an interesting experience).
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 am

Based on the location in his profile I assume that the citizenship should not be a problem to work legally.

If you want to speak as much German as possible, don't go to one of the large, multicultural cities. Everyone goes to Berlin (or Hamburg, Munich etc.), because those are the first places everyone thinks about. So you will meet foreigners there (and not all of them speak German) and therefore you might not learn as much German as you could somewhere else.

On the other hand there are of course advantages of these cities, like having many places where you can find work, or that most people are used to foreigners already, and for practicing foreign languages these cities are definitely a good choice. But if you want to make sure you have a German-speaking environment another place might be better.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon May 23, 2016 10:58 am

IronMike wrote:Hey Random Review,
My son just learned about helpx.net which is a work exchange where you work for room and board.

There is also http://www.talktalkbnb.com/ which is basically air bnb for language geeks: you get free board for agreeing to speak to your hosts.

I've done neither of these, but I'm dying to hear more about them, so if you do, please report back!

Good luck

I should probably be clearer. The TalkTalkbnb hosts provide free room and board.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Unless the OP has an EU passport, he may want to put his plan into motion on the double now... :o

I also want to spend three months in Germany, I would need to somehow cover food and rooming. I have seen how immersion can immensely help with oral language once you have good listening skills and a basic fluency, it turbo-charges things, and you get invaluable cultural insight. Next year I would like to go to Germany for a couple of months as part of my final push to get my German into a comfortable C1 orbit.
1 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Return to “Travel and Culture”