What to do in Moscow

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Crispin
White Belt

What to do in Moscow

Postby Crispin » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 pm

My husband and I are planning a trip to Moscow this summer, and his father will be joining us for part of the time. We haven't really put much thought into what we'll do while we're there. Does anyone have any good ideas/suggestions?
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: What to do in Moscow

Postby Serpent » Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 pm

what interests do you have? how active/mobile are the people taking the trip? (especially your husband's father) will you be the only person with some Russian knowledge?
Meanwhile I direct you to Solfrid Cristina's log. the link goes to the posts about her trip in September 2014, and later there are posts about three more trips :) She's had some awesome typically Russian experiences.
Depending on the timing I'd also be happy to meet you if I can, and also help with arranging stuff. Feel free to PM me :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Out of interest, what did you end up doing? Did you all have a nice time? I will be leaving for Moscow this week, so would appreciate any ideas!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Dang, wish I had seen this post back in May.

For MamaPata, what area of town are you living in? You of course have to do the Red Square/Kremlin. Go into any museum you find, even the small ones; you'd be surprised what you find in them. Try out the restaurants, lots of great food here.

Join the FB group Moscow Interacts for some links to good food and events. Ride the metro and stop at various stations and take a look around. Ride the new outer ring metro; it's still free I think till the 10th of October. It's above ground, so more to see than the "normal" metro.

For shopping, go out to Izmailovo/Измайлово. (Stop at Partizanskaya metro station and follow everyone else walking to Izmailovo. Do not stop at the metro station named Izmailovo.) Lots of good stuff there from the typical Russian gifts to actual antiques. Be careful of the foreigner discount, though. ;)
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

abr
Languages: Russian (N), English (Ok), Spanish (Beginner)

Postby abr » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:08 am

If you understand Russian and you are interested in languages and you are in Moscow at the end of an autumn - beginning of a winter, you should go to Moscow Language Festival. For exact date you should check their site http://www.lingvafestivalo.info/ 1 or 2 months in advance.
Or, if you aren't in Moscow, there are festivals all over Russia on different dates. May be you'll get lucky.
https://lingvafestivalo.org/
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm

I love the language festival but most presentations definitely require a pretty high level of Russian. Of course there are also opportunities to practise your English and FIGS languages (maybe not all), or to help people practise if you speak one of these languages natively :) And there's also a tea ceremony during the day and a multilingual concert in the end.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Travel and Culture”