How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
AndyD
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby AndyD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 pm

I don´t feel very well travelled - the more I travel the more I want to....

Europe
England (where I´m from)
Scotland
Ireland
France
Spain (almost everywhere here)
Portugal
Netherlands
Italy
Germany

Asia
Turkey
Thailand
Cambodia
Japan

Americas
USA
Mexico
Guatamala
Peru
Bolivia

Afrika
Tansania

Australasia
Australia
New Zealand
0 x

fresh_air
Yellow Belt
Languages: English*, Portuguese

Learning: Russian

Postby fresh_air » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm a fairly new traveler, so far I've

lived in:
The US
Norway

Visited:
Scotland
The Netherlands
Germany
Finland
Czech Republic
Canada

Been in the airport:
England
Ireland
Iceland
0 x

ed_phelan
White Belt
Languages: English (N) & French (A2)

Postby ed_phelan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Lived in:
France
England

Visited:
Scotland
Ireland
Albania
Germany
Italy
Serbia
Montenegro
Czech Republic
Greece
Spain
Holland
Belgium
USA

As you can see, I am yet to travel extensively outside of Europe, apart from America. I have recently done a TEFL qualification and would love to travel around south America for a period with my girlfriend. I am currently looking at various TEFL jobs https://www.theteflacademy.com/tefl-jobs with the hope of finding something over there. Does anyone know if it would be possible for my girlfriend to come with me? Would it be difficult for her to get a visa? She has not done a TEFL/CELTA but would be willing to do one if it would increase her chances. Any advice would be much appreciated or if anyone knows of a dedicated south American job board for teaching?

Thanks all :)
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:04 pm

A lot. But I want more.

North America
USA
Canada

Europe
Spain
France
Denmark
Norway
UK (Cornwall, Scotland)
Ireland
Germany
Cyprus
Russia
Romania
Bulgaria
Italy
Bosnia
Croatia

Asia
Saudi
Afghanistan
Iraq
Kyrgyzstan
Japan
Kazakhstan
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:08 pm

I found this old thread and thought that I would update my last post!

I've been to...

Europe
Spain
France
England
Scotland

Africa
Kenya
Tanzania
Malawi
Zimbabwe
Zambia
South Africa

Americas and Caribbean
Canada (country of birth - have been to all ten provinces, but none of the territories)
USA (31 states)
Brazil
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Guatemala
Belize
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
2 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Just to make everyone who wrote "I don't feel well travelled", and then proceeded to post 20 countries, here's my list to make you feel better.

USA
England
Wales
Scotland

:lol:

When I was a kid we travelled all over the U.S. and one time to Great Britain. My dad had a schedule for every day and tried to pack as much into each day as possible. No free time or really even time to relax. I hated that and really lost my taste for travelling. Since I started learning languages, though, I feel the travel bug. No schedules! My wife and I (and maybe my stepdaughter) are just going to show up and do whatever we want. Even if we just want to sit in a hotel room all day!

My current travel plans:

2018- Take a cruise to Mexico that hopefully also goes to a South American country or two.
2019- Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England
2 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:48 pm

I have always liked to cram as much into each day of my holidays as possible, and I got into that habit already as a kid without help from my family. As I normally say: if you aren't tired and stressed when when you return home you haven't been on a REALLY good holiday. One of the best days in my life as a traveller was day where I started out at one end of the museum mile in Washington in the morning and left the last museum at the other end when it closed. Or the two days in Stockholm, where I had bought an expensive museum card and wanted to get something for my Money - so I visited some 21 or 22 places in those two days.

If something is worth doing it is worth doing it to the limit and maybe a little bit beyond ..
1 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Hank wrote:Just to make everyone who wrote "I don't feel well travelled", and then proceeded to post 20 countries, here's my list to make you feel better.

USA
England
Wales
Scotland

:lol:

When I was a kid we travelled all over the U.S. and one time to Great Britain. My dad had a schedule for every day and tried to pack as much into each day as possible. No free time or really even time to relax. I hated that and really lost my taste for travelling. Since I started learning languages, though, I feel the travel bug. No schedules! My wife and I (and maybe my stepdaughter) are just going to show up and do whatever we want. Even if we just want to sit in a hotel room all day!

My current travel plans:

2018- Take a cruise to Mexico that hopefully also goes to a South American country or two.
2019- Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England

But what about Northern Ireland? :-/ NI is nice too :(
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Iversen wrote:I have always liked to cram as much into each day of my holidays as possible, and I got into that habit already as a kid without help from my family. As I normally say: if you aren't tired and stressed when when you return home you haven't been on a REALLY good holiday. One of the best days in my life as a traveller was day where I started out at one end of the museum mile in Washington in the morning and left the last museum at the other end when it closed. Or the two days in Stockholm, where I had bought an expensive museum card and wanted to get something for my Money - so I visited some 21 or 22 places in those two days.

If something is worth doing it is worth doing it to the limit and maybe a little bit beyond ..

Depends on your style. I'm usually a crammer (try to do lots) but I'm not a box ticker (5-mins each sight, tick done). Although I do take an afternoon or morning to do sweet nothing on the odd occasion. Also, I'm a bit nerdy in that I like to be really thorough in museums. The size of the place comes into as well as what it is. The Louvre for example is so big that I selected areas of high interest and did those quite thoroughly but neglected the rest. Sometimes you have to accept you cannot do everything and enjoy the things you are seeing/hearing/smelling/doing. Really it depends on the place. Paris might never be 'done', Derry on the other hand...
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:56 pm

Rhian wrote:But what about Northern Ireland? :-/ NI is nice too :(
To the rest of the world the 4 parts of the UK aren't even separate countries :D :P
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Travel and Culture”