Publishers of reference editions in non-English languages

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
zgriptsuroica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Advanced, especially reading), Spanish (Advanced), Brazilian Portuguese (Advanced), Japanese (beginner), Icelandic (just starting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17372

Publishers of reference editions in non-English languages

Postby zgriptsuroica » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:01 am

I was wondering if anyone was aware of publishers of references editions of books in other languages, as I thought they could be useful as sources for finding "the classics" or other well known works in a given language. I suppose my go to example would be something like la Bibliothèque de la Pléiade for French. They've published titles in translation, but you can search by nationality or language to narrow things down and get quite the list of great works in French. What similar publishers are out there for other languages? I'm particularly interested in Spanish and Portuguese, but I'm sure other languages would be helpful to others who enjoy reading. I must confess I haven't looked too much into the Portuguese side of things, though.

Spanish has the Biblioteca Clásica de la RAE, but it's much more limited in its scope than what I'm looking for. I suppose the closest would probably be something like the "Letras hispánicas" collection of Ediciones Catedra. I thought someone else would probably know better than I on this topic, or at least have greater success with the right search terms to come across such a publisher.

What other publishers do you know that might fit this description?
2 x
Genki I: 0 / 12

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Publishers of reference editions in non-English languages

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:51 pm

Which languages in particular did you have in mind? And Wikipedia occasionally has information of the kind you seek.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Travel and Culture”