The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Radioclare wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Iversen wrote:I have signed up now

Me too... still have to pay though! :)

rdearman - now you will have an opportunity to practise Esperanto ;)

Yeah, I can add that to my poor French & Italian along with the non-existent Mandarin. I'm seriously considering putting "English monolingual" on the name badge!
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:46 pm

tastyonions wrote:Anyone want to pay for my plane tickets? I would love to go.

If you're serious, or if anyone else is in a difficult financial situation and thinks they might qualify, they are trying to work out a donation program to help young polyglots who can't afford the trip. They are also looking for people to contribute.
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Oh, I am hardly in financial straits and would feel guilty accepting help like that. It's just that I couldn't justify the expense. I was mostly joking. But I really would love to attend, all the same.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:

If you're serious, or if anyone else is in a difficult financial situation and thinks they might qualify, they are trying to work out a donation program to help young polyglots who can't afford the trip. They are also looking for people to contribute.

Really? Tell me more. Though I don't qualify as young as per European standards anymore. Last year I was in Germany about one month before the gathering, had I known about it beforehand I'd have planned the trip accordingly.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Expugnator wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

Really? Tell me more. Though I don't qualify as young as per European standards anymore. Last year I was in Germany about one month before the gathering, had I known about it beforehand I'd have planned the trip accordingly.

This is what Judith posted in the Facebook group:

For the Polyglot Gathering, it is very important to be affordable to the broadest possible range of polyglots - that's one of the reasons we keep returning to the A&O and the reason we have a large discount for students. However, even if we reduce their fees to zero, there are some talented young polyglots who still cannot afford to attend because of lodging/food/travel costs. For them we are launching a special fund, "Gathering All Polyglots", which will cover part of their costs.

If you are in an advantageous situation, please think about donating to this fund in order to bring more talented young polyglots to the Gathering this year and give them an experience that will change their lives. You can be acknowledged or anonymous - up to you. Email me directly at judith@polyglotberlin.com .

If you would like to be considered for this program, please send a letter of motivation to the same address.

Thank you!
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Thanks Brun Ugle, I've just mailed Judith!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Expugnator wrote:Thanks Brun Ugle, I've just mailed Judith!

Actually it is a pity that they didn't have it as a tickbox on the registration for to give a €10 donation for this, I'm sure people would have just ticked the box since they are already paying anyway.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:56 pm

You're right, that'd be a convenient way to do the funding.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 pm

rdearman wrote:
Expugnator wrote:Thanks Brun Ugle, I've just mailed Judith!

Actually it is a pity that they didn't have it as a tickbox on the registration for to give a €10 donation for this, I'm sure people would have just ticked the box since they are already paying anyway.

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me too. I just suggested it to her.
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:This is what Judith posted in the Facebook group:

For the Polyglot Gathering, it is very important to be affordable to the broadest possible range of polyglots - that's one of the reasons we keep returning to the A&O and the reason we have a large discount for students. However, even if we reduce their fees to zero, there are some talented young polyglots who still cannot afford to attend because of lodging/food/travel costs. For them we are launching a special fund, "Gathering All Polyglots", which will cover part of their costs.

If you are in an advantageous situation, please think about donating to this fund in order to bring more talented young polyglots to the Gathering this year and give them an experience that will change their lives. You can be acknowledged or anonymous - up to you. Email me directly at judith@polyglotberlin.com .

If you would like to be considered for this program, please send a letter of motivation to the same address.

Thank you!

Thanks for posting this Brun Ugle. It had passed me by on Facebook, but I'm going to investigate whether the Esperanto charity I help run can make some sort of donation or sponsorship to help out with this :)
2 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”