Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Output Challenge 2015 Discussion

Postby Radioclare » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 pm

It kinda feels like there is no point though? Because I'm so far behind I can't even pretend I'm going to hit 50 000 words if I recommit today. The challenge has been a great idea but personally I have found the target quite overwhelming :(
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:13 am

Radioclare wrote:It kinda feels like there is no point though? Because I'm so far behind I can't even pretend I'm going to hit 50 000 words if I recommit today. The challenge has been a great idea but personally I have found the target quite overwhelming :(

Brings up a good point. Should I start the Output Challenge for 2016 on the 1st of January? Or run concurrent with the Super Challenge schedule? :?
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:04 pm

It would be good to get lots of other people's views, but I think a 1 January start might be good. It would enable us to get off to a flying start when we're still full of enthusiasm for our New Year Resolutions :)
3 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:33 pm

rdearman wrote:The November Mini-Challenge is to write/record a speech. Use this link: http://www.ratespeeches.com/t=Speech-Topics to generate random topics for a speech. Write and/or record a 5 or 10 minutes speech based on one of the topics. Speech must be in your target language!

As always if this months challenge doesn't float your boat, then you can always return to one of the other mini-challenges and either do it again, or try some of the example exercises from the first post of this thread. Good luck everyone!
Come on people! I know you are doing output challanges out there! Lets see some. Show us the YouTube video, or the lang-8 link to your writing.

Should we post the links to our projects here ? I have a very short essay that I will record tomorrow on Soundcloud.

It took me all yesterday afternoon to write it because I first wrote it in English and then translated it to French. I'm not at a point where I can think in French first and then put it down on paper.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:49 pm

tomgosse wrote:
rdearman wrote:The November Mini-Challenge is to write/record a speech. Use this link: http://www.ratespeeches.com/t=Speech-Topics to generate random topics for a speech. Write and/or record a 5 or 10 minutes speech based on one of the topics. Speech must be in your target language!

As always if this months challenge doesn't float your boat, then you can always return to one of the other mini-challenges and either do it again, or try some of the example exercises from the first post of this thread. Good luck everyone!
Come on people! I know you are doing output challanges out there! Lets see some. Show us the YouTube video, or the lang-8 link to your writing.

Should we post the links to our projects here ? I have a very short essay that I will record tomorrow on Soundcloud.

It took me all yesterday afternoon to write it because I first wrote it in English and then translated it to French. I'm not at a point where I can think in French first and then put it down on paper.

Yes please, post away!!!
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Radioclare wrote:It would be good to get lots of other people's views, but I think a 1 January start might be good. It would enable us to get off to a flying start when we're still full of enthusiasm for our New Year Resolutions :)

I definitely agree with this. I always think if something is going to be a year long, why not start in January and end in December? It just feels more logical.

I hope I have the courage to try again next year. I really think the output challenge is a great idea and goodness knows I need the practice.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:00 am

I also think that a January start would be great. I started the challenge late any way, but a January start would give more flexibility.
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Here is my very, very short essay. I have not recorded it yet because when I read it out loud I sound horrible.

Jour du Souvenir
Ce mois nous célébrer l’armistice de 1918 (mille neuf cents dix-huit). À la onzième heure dans le matin le onzième jour, du onzième mois, l’Allies et Allemande ont signé un armistice.
Au Royaume-Uni et Canada, il est connu comme Remembrance Day.
Dans de nombreuses parties du monde, les gens observent un moment de silence à 11h00 en signe de respect pour les quelque 20 millions de personnes qui sont morts dans la guerre.

Armistice Day
This month we celebrate Armistice Day. On the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, at 11 o'clock in the morning an armistice was signed between the Allies and Germany. This ended hostilities on the Western Front.
In the United Kingdom, and Canada it is known as Remembrance Day.
In many parts of the world, people observe a moment of silence at 11:00 a.m. as a sign of respect for the roughly 20 million people who died in the war.

I had a hard time writing this. First of all, I had to fight the temptation to use an automatic translator. Get behind me Google! Then, I tried to write in French of the top of my head. That didn't work, so I wrote it in English and slowly translated with the aid of a dictionary and grammar book. It was an all day project. My head was spinning by the end of Friday.

This is one of my greatest challenges, thinking and writing in French. When I use programs such as Duolingo I'm pretty good at translating the French to English, but not so good the other way around. Often when I see a French word in a lesson I will think, that's something I should use. Then when I sit down to write French I never get beyond, "Je m'appelle Tom. Je suis au Massachusetts."

If I practice reading this out loud this afternoon, and get my courage up, I may record it and add it to this post. :D
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm

I'd prefer a January start as well, that would mean ~1000 words per week instead of ~1250 words. I intend to focus on German next year (to even out the huge gap between my active and passive skills), and this would be a good way to do so.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Sorry if I'm butting in here; I'm not a part of the current challenge.

What if the Output Challenge were changed to something like this:

10 000 words written, 100 100 word essays (about the right size for lang-8)
5 000 minutes speaking, 100 50 minute output sessions.

Maybe this suggestions shows that I'm lazy or that I don't like writing. Please ignore my suggestion if it is unwelcome. I suspect some of you are much more hardcore than I am :)
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Return to “Language Challenges”