Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 pm

2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

I'm leaving all the previous months as a recap, and don't forget you can see last years mini-challenges in this thread too.

The January Mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

The February mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!! Email one to arrive on the first of each month for the rest of the year using FutureMe.org. Write out the challenge in your TL, and hopefully when you get the one in December you'll see how much you've improved!
Audio Challenge: Read / speak your Output mini-challenges, and attach them to an email to the future you! (although I think you'll have to embed a link in the email actually)

The March mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) write a summation of a news story. Doesn't have to be long, but shoot for longer than a tweet!
Audio Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) record a summation of a news story with you speaking.

The April mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Write down your ideas!
Audio Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Record your ideas, and describe the object at the beginning.

I'm sorry I didn't get around to doing a mini-challenge until mid-month. I hope you'll forgive me, and hopefully this mini-challenge will get you writing and speaking!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm leaving all the previous months as a recap, and don't forget you can see last years mini-challenges in this thread too.

Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!! Email one to arrive on the first of each month for the rest of the year using FutureMe.org. Write out the challenge in your TL, and hopefully when you get the one in December you'll see how much you've improved!
Audio Challenge: Read / speak your Output mini-challenges, and attach them to an email to the future you! (although I think you'll have to embed a link in the email actually)

Written Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) write a summation of a news story. Doesn't have to be long, but shoot for longer than a tweet!
Audio Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) record a summation of a news story with you speaking.

The April mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Write down your ideas!
Audio Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Record your ideas, and describe the object at the beginning.

The March mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: COMPLAIN! This month write at least one letter of complaint in your target language to a business, political leader, etc. Make the letter at least 1 page long, longer if you can.
Audio Challenge: COMPLAIN! Do a video or audio where you pretend you are standing at the customer service desk of a company and you have a complaint. Explain your complaint and what resolution you'd like.

Doing the mini-challenge a day early so it will not get lost in the flood of messages when the SC starts. :)
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu May 19, 2016 6:07 am

I bet this had been asked before, but I skimmed around and didn't find it. Do all of our recorded minutes need to be unique? I am working on a couple stories but once I hear my recording, I hear mistakes I want to fix so I record again. I'd like to even record the same thing in a couple months for comparison. Does only the first one count out do I get points for improvement? :)
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Ani wrote:I bet this had been asked before, but I skimmed around and didn't find it. Do all of our recorded minutes need to be unique? I am working on a couple stories but once I hear my recording, I hear mistakes I want to fix so I record again. I'd like to even record the same thing in a couple months for comparison. Does only the first one count out do I get points for improvement? :)

You can repeat the same thing a million times if you want (although it would get boring very fast) so each recording counts.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:31 pm

The April mini-challenge was:

The May mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: COMPLAIN! This month write at least one letter of complaint in your target language to a business, political leader, etc. Make the letter at least 1 page long, longer if you can.
Audio Challenge: COMPLAIN! Do a video or audio where you pretend you are standing at the customer service desk of a company and you have a complaint. Explain your complaint and what resolution you'd like.

The June mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: You've been the victim of a crime! Describe the culprit in as much detail as possible to the policeman taking your statement, answer these questions about the person:
  • Sex
  • Race
  • Weight
  • Complexion
  • Hair colour
  • Eyes/colour of eyes
  • Glasses
  • Clothing : Colour of coat/shirt/pants/shoes
  • Accessories: Hat, bracelet, etc.
  • Tattoos
  • Scars/Marks
  • Additional information
  • Vehicle Description
  • Colour
  • Make
  • Model
  • License Plate Number
  • Direction of Travel
  • Any damage to the vehicle
  • Additional Information
Audio Challenge: Record yourself as both the police-officer and the victim.

EDIT: Corrected the month to June, talk about losing track of time!
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm a bit confused about what month we're in now :lol: Have we had April and March twice?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Radioclare wrote:I'm a bit confused about what month we're in now :lol: Have we had April and March twice?

It was a test to see if anyone is still doing this challenge! :)
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:22 pm

rdearman wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I'm a bit confused about what month we're in now :lol: Have we had April and March twice?

I... thought it was accidental and decided not to comment. I didn't do the mini-challenge, but it inspired me to write 285 words of something completely unrelated and completely fictional in Swedish, which I think counts as a win for you, our fearless leader!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Elenia wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I... thought it was accidental and decided not to comment. I didn't do the mini-challenge, but it inspired me to write 285 words of something completely unrelated and completely fictional in Swedish, which I think counts as a win for you, our fearless leader!

I'll take what I can get. :)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:06 pm

So how are everyone doing? I went a bit overboard over the last few weeks and managed to finish the (writing only) challenge today. 50,000 words of German...
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”