Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:41 pm

rdearman wrote:I've managed to video myself making "Quick & Dirty Spaghetti & Meatballs" now just need to collate, voice-over, and do subtitles. (The benefit here is I knock out the Output for written at the same time as the recorded!)

Might do some kinda bread making or Kimchi video next.

I look forward to seeing it. :D
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:00 pm

steyyan wrote:I'm on 290 words right now - I just started today if you don't count a small Reddit post I made on the 1st - and I've got a question: Do you have to publish every little thing that you write? I keep a journal and I also paste the Skype messages I write in German into a word document, and I feel it would be pointless to share all that on this forum or lang-8...

No you don't have to share everything, i trust you have done what you say you have done. 8-)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:34 pm

rdearman wrote:No you don't have to share everything, i trust you have done what you say you have done. 8-)

That's good to know, because the first thing I actually wrote this year were five pages of questions for an "application" - I didn't do a word count before handing it in, but when I get it back I would like to add it.
2 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Bao wrote:
rdearman wrote:No you don't have to share everything, i trust you have done what you say you have done. 8-)

That's good to know, because the first thing I actually wrote this year were five pages of questions for an "application" - I didn't do a word count before handing it in, but when I get it back I would like to add it.

It's not like I can come around and check it. :lol:

Like all these types of challenges they are "self-policed" and people who cheat are only cheating themselves.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

I guess I have to catch up next week with my output :D I did some recording just in order to test it (still not signed up for audio). It worked quite well for not having a seperate micro, but using the one in my laptop. I also had not much of a problem of listening to my voice. But I think I just lack the time to speak so much and record it that I stay at writing (which is time-consuming enough)

Any chance there will be mini-challenges this year? Otherwise I might check out the ones from last year :D
2 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Komma wrote:I guess I have to catch up next week with my output :D I did some recording just in order to test it (still not signed up for audio). It worked quite well for not having a seperate micro, but using the one in my laptop. I also had not much of a problem of listening to my voice. But I think I just lack the time to speak so much and record it that I stay at writing (which is time-consuming enough)

Any chance there will be mini-challenges this year? Otherwise I might check out the ones from last year :D

Oh Yes! You've reminded me, I've been slack and should have done a mini-challenge. I'll be right back ... :oops:
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:32 pm

2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

The January Mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:50 am

Thank you rdearman :) That sounds like a fun mini-challenge!
I had the aim this year to get more creative and write some fiction. Now I can combine this with french. Great!
0 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:19 am

rdearman wrote:The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"

Hmm, now you got me wondering how I best should translate those two lines into Russian :?:

I like the idea of mini-challenges, as it gives me some ideas for writing, although I may not always follow your script to the letter ;) . I'll try my best on this one though, sounds more fun than writing the usual boring stuff about who I am, where I live, what my favourite pet is etc.
2 x
Ich grolle nicht

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:46 pm

rdearman wrote:2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

The January Mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

That reminds me a little of an episode of The Big Bang Theory, except their elevator doesn't work.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”