Short term challenges?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Short term challenges?

Postby Soclydeza » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 am

I remember there being short term challenges on the old forum (the 6 week one, maybe others if I recall).

Are any of these going on/coming up? If not, who would be interested in doing one (probably input based, reading and listening/watching)?
0 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Short term challenges?

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:16 am

Soclydeza wrote:I remember there being short term challenges on the old forum (the 6 week one, maybe others if I recall).

Are any of these going on/coming up? If not, who would be interested in doing one (probably input based, reading and listening/watching)?

The 6 Week Challenge 6WC has never stopped. Feb May Aug Nov. Towards the end of this month, someone will start a new thread about it.

I've been thinking about starting a new challenge to take place in Jan Apr Jul Oct when the 6WCs are not on, but it won't be input-based.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 am

6wc is not input based, as far as I remember. It often includes coursework (that's what I had been using it for, till the moment I temporarily stopped participating), input, output, anything in the language.

I am looking forward to the February one. :-)
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I took "not input based" to mean not inputting into the 6WCBot, rather just tracking in a thread or your log.

I'd love to participate in 2 or 3 week challenges in between the 6 week challenges. I generally take a week off after the 6WC, then review or plug along without any clear goals until the next challenge anyway.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Watching cartoons and soccer matches counts, if you're paying full attention. Pure "input" counts until further notice. The original idea was to compare methods and results.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Would your challenge still be for beginner languages? I love the idea of the 6 week challenge, but haven't taken part because I really want to push further with the languages I've already started.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 pm

MamaPata wrote:Would your challenge still be for beginner languages? I love the idea of the 6 week challenge, but haven't taken part because I really want to push further with the languages I've already started.

Your target language for the 6WC can be as high as B1 level. And you can count your time for all other languages too. So, if the levels in your profile are correct, you could still join. It just started today, so you aren't really behind if you want to join in.

Something like the 6WC for B2 and higher languages would be really cool though. Maybe running alternately with the 6WC.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:49 am

Brun Ugle wrote: Your target language for the 6WC can be as high as B1 level. And you can count your time for all other languages too. So, if the levels in your profile are correct, you could still join. It just started today, so you aren't really behind if you want to join in.

Something like the 6WC for B2 and higher languages would be really cool though. Maybe running alternately with the 6WC.

I have thought about it. But I always figure I should err on the side of caution, so haven't yet. This month isn't great, but maybe next time.

If a higher level challenge was started, I'd love to join that! (And the prospect of it might help me push my langauges up to B2!)
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:41 pm

I also love the idea of a challenge for intermediate/advanced languages. I don't think counting hours 6WC style is necessarily the way to go - for example, it doesn't make sense to be able to "win" by watching a lot of TV when you have already reached a point in your studies that it's part of your lifestyle anyway.

I think some kind of short term challenge where you aim to solve a particular problem, which will be unique to each participant, could be both interesting and helpful.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 pm

gsbod wrote:I think some kind of short term challenge where you aim to solve a particular problem, which will be unique to each participant, could be both interesting and helpful.

Like a 2 or 3 week "Mission" where you state what you want to accomplish, how you're going to do it, then check in to stay accountable. That would be great.

I'd love to see ongoing 3-week Missions, year round, open to everyone regardless of level. I'm not sure the current "winning" part of the 6WC is really that helpful--at least to me. When I've scored higher, it's generally because I've pushed past the point where I'm actively learning just to up my hours and end up having to re-do it later anyway.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Language Challenges”