German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: German group

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=758

A very interesting thread on the B2 exam, by Soclydeza. I didn't want to invade it, since I am the exact opposite of what Soclydeza is looking for. I haven't tried the exam, I am gonna take it later this year. So, I am looking forward to hearing all the info and experience, including Soclydeza's :-)

But in general: Who else has got any experience with the Goethe exams? And who else wants to take one? Which level?
0 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:01 am

Jimjam wrote:
M23 wrote:I do not really know how it works either. I imagine it is probably just an extra leaderboard feature, but who knows. I created a club for this group. If anyone here wants to join here is the code to sign up:

EYFAD7

I joined the group but I'm not a huge fan of
Duolingo so I don't really use it much. I did do the placement test to fill in all the gaps that have appeared in my tree from all of the updates the German tree has gotten over time so don't expect me to get 2200 xp in one go too often :lol:
The added competitiveness of the club might get me to use it a little more often though which is good.

I was going to say "this guy studies like a beast" but that make sense if you were testing out of some things. Anyway, glad to have you (and everyone that just joined) on board. :D
1 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 am

Cavesa wrote:I'm using Duolingo only on my computer, as I find the apps not good. So, not joining. And I need to devote myself to other sources anyways. But I am looking forward to hearing of all of you finishing the tree :-)

Btw is there a similar option for the Memrise users? That might be more useful to me

I used to use it on the computer, but now that life has gotten busier I prefer the app. I can open it and do a quick lesson or two when I am on break at work or standing in line (sitting in a waiting room, etc.) somewhere. It is a good way to get a little vocabulary drilling in on days I might otherwise have time for nothing. It is always interesting to see which resources fit the lifestyles of users best.
1 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 am

I remembered one of the reasons I don't use duolingo very often; the big list of languages to be distracted by. I'm not really a fan of romance languages but last night I found myself studying italian on duolingo until about 3am :D
I am rather excited for the swahili course to be released though. I've never studied an african language before! and the korean one could be interesting, though I would have to learn hangul first. The swedish one is very tempting, and so is polish! I wouldn't mind doing some more italian and a bit of french too... You did this to me! :lol:
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 am

I'm probably not taking any of the Goethe exams, or at least not anytime in the next few years, but rather the TestDaF. It's accepted at all of the unis that I'm looking at whereas at most half of them accept the Goethe C1 exams (they all accept the C2 exam). I should probably start preparing now as I'm hoping to take it in September if I'm still in Germany if not in November in Chicago. It really just depends on scheduling and money for me as if I took it in September I'd be spending an extra month in Europe and would have to fly out within a day or two to get back to Portland in time for school. Ideally I'd get all 5s but it's more realistic to expects 4s and 5s.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I took the old GDS exam, right before they phased it out. That's probably not much help, since it was radically different (I think?) from the exams now.

Edit: apparently they call the C2 the GDS now, but it's not the same thing. I remember all of the arguments back when it was getting phased out. The old ZOP was on the C1/C2 border, the KDS was a strong C2, and the GDS was beyond that (at least until whatever pressure got it all changed in 2012).
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm

I also clicked on the Memrise group link and was added to the group. However--and not totally a problem--when I clicked on my courses, it had added all the courses that Walkingalone13 is using to my German list. The majority of them are totally beyond me at the moment and I was planning to add some new ones anyway.

I'm wondering if the main use is for the group of people to all be doing the same courses at the same time? Maybe if we end up with enough people we could have a German A1/A2 group and a higher level group and then doing the same courses would work.

I'm Carly73 on Memrise, probably because my CarlyD was taken already.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Aokoye: I am very sorry about the mix up with your name, my eyes have a tendency to let me down.

Cavesa: No problem at all, if there are any others that you are currently using and wish to add, let me know and I will get right on it. :)
By the way, I added the preposition one for you as well (it makes me do some of them before I can add them) and found it harder remembering how they abbreviated the abbreviations than the prepositions :P

Rumpetroll: I think they do go all the way through to 7, but in all honesty I would not advise using them beyond 4 at the latest. I think I went up to 6, not fully completing 5 and 6, and started to go crazy due to errors in the courses. I think 1 - 4, or even 1 - 3 plus the 1k frequency list would be perfect, then perhaps a textbook course or the next one up in frequency list.
By the way, great profile pic, I feel like getting my bike out and doing some 4x now...if only it wasn't still so cold/damp!

CarlyD: Great to have you with us! I actually thought the same with the groups at first, but now I think it's actually okay that we are doing different courses. The leader boards could actually entice someone to start one of the other courses, or at least gather intrigue once someone sees how often that someone else is using that course. I think you should still be able to delete the courses you don't want from your homepage.

Has anyone else noticed that you can actually choose to review everyone else's "difficult words"? When you click on the stats section, it lists how many difficult words we have per course, but it is hyperlinked - tells you the amount of errors per word, etc, but then lets you "learn" them, by the looks of it. I have no idea why! I do not like my own difficult words, why would I willingly want to do them for other people :D
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:40 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that you can actually choose to review everyone else's "difficult words"? When you click on the stats section, it lists how many difficult words we have per course, but it is hyperlinked - tells you the amount of errors per word, etc, but then lets you "learn" them, by the looks of it. I have no idea why! I do not like my own difficult words, why would I willingly want to do them for other people :D

My difficult words are generally when I'm doing Memrise too late at night and I nod off. The next thing I know it's beeped that I got the answer wrong and there it goes to my difficult word list. Do that twice and it's there forever.

Which is why "el" is still on my Spanish difficult word list.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:Aokoye: I am very sorry about the mix up with your name, my eyes have a tendency to let me down.

Has anyone else noticed that you can actually choose to review everyone else's "difficult words"? When you click on the stats section, it lists how many difficult words we have per course, but it is hyperlinked - tells you the amount of errors per word, etc, but then lets you "learn" them, by the looks of it. I have no idea why! I do not like my own difficult words, why would I willingly want to do them for other people :D

No worries on my name - I figured I would mention it because of how often you did it but it's not the end of the world by any means. In terms of the memrise group, I think you're the only one who can see the stats section. I have a feeling the groups were designed, at least originally, for teachers which is why the creator can see people's difficult words. Obviously they're fun to use the group function even if you aren't a teacher though.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Study Groups”