Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:15 pm

1 x

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Welcome to the Spanish Group at LLORG! This thread is open to anyone and everyone who is learning Spanish, has learned Spanish already, is interested in Spanish or speaks Spanish as a native language. This group is not a "challenge". People are free to come and go as they please, to "drop-in" and "drop-out" whenever they may wish. First and foremost it is a place to post your questions, ask for help, write about your successes, your setbacks, your joys and your frustrations- all under the banner of Spanish. Tell us what you are enjoying in books, television, music, films and podcasts. Tell us what you are looking for, too. There is no formal membership requirement. All are welcome, regardless of level, to post and share, and I hope that you do so often. This is not my thread... it's your thread... it's your Spanish group!

Hello everyone :) I'm really excited that I found this thread :) Although, I'm not really sure whether I'll be able to contribute something :? But it's definitely motivating :)
0 x

klvik
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3149

Postby klvik » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:28 am

FYI-
Audioteka (http://audioteka.com/es/) has a pretty good collection of Spanish audiobooks and they offer a generously-sized free sample of each book.
2 x
January 5, 2020
2020 Output Challenge speaking: 66 / 3000

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 am

Willow wrote:
Welcome to the Spanish Group at LLORG! This thread is open to anyone and everyone who is learning Spanish, has learned Spanish already, is interested in Spanish or speaks Spanish as a native language. This group is not a "challenge". People are free to come and go as they please, to "drop-in" and "drop-out" whenever they may wish. First and foremost it is a place to post your questions, ask for help, write about your successes, your setbacks, your joys and your frustrations- all under the banner of Spanish. Tell us what you are enjoying in books, television, music, films and podcasts. Tell us what you are looking for, too. There is no formal membership requirement. All are welcome, regardless of level, to post and share, and I hope that you do so often. This is not my thread... it's your thread... it's your Spanish group!

Hello everyone :) I'm really excited that I found this thread :) Although, I'm not really sure whether I'll be able to contribute something :? But it's definitely motivating :)

Hello Willow! I'm sure you shouldn't worry about being able to contribute something. :) I'm glad it's motivating. I've certainly found motivation from this group of people before.

I know there are a bunch of us who are using or have used the Gramática de uso del español books. I own the B and C books (although I have them under the McGraw-Hill Intermediate and Advanced Spanish Grammar titles). I did about five or so lessons in the B book months ago, but I'd like to restart and actually follow through this time.

I was wondering how people handle proceeding through the books. What's a good pace for you? Do you review past lessons? Do you go straight from reading the left page to the exercises on the right? (I found that I should put some space in between, otherwise I'm just remembering what I read two minutes ago instead of recalling what I've learned.)
2 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 am

Allison wrote:I know there are a bunch of us who are using or have used the Gramática de uso del español books. I own the B and C books (although I have them under the McGraw-Hill Intermediate and Advanced Spanish Grammar titles). I did about five or so lessons in the B book months ago, but I'd like to restart and actually follow through this time.

I was wondering how people handle proceeding through the books. What's a good pace for you? Do you review past lessons? Do you go straight from reading the left page to the exercises on the right? (I found that I should put some space in between, otherwise I'm just remembering what I read two minutes ago instead of recalling what I've learned.)

I just read the left side and then worked through the exercises on the right side (and always wrote down the answers and said them aloud). I recall that doing each lesson took me about 20-30 minutes more or less. I was doing about five a week (each weekday morning).
2 x

AK47
White Belt
Languages: English (N) , Russian (N), Spanish (B2), Italian (Beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=5242

Postby AK47 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:57 am

Hello group! Really glad to have found this thread. About my Spanish: I'm an intermediate in Spanish right now, and am simply enjoying large amounts of input at this stage, 1-3 hours per day. I also have output almost everyday with whatsapp conversations, or Skype conversations.

Some resources to share with the group:

Podcast : Hablando con Cientificos - Great science podcast on interesting subjects, interesting guests, and most important of all to me at first was that the host speaks slowly and clearly. Cienciaes.com has other science podcasts as well other than this one.

I found some great, free, and pretty well-done audiolibros on an app simply called : Audiobooks . the icon is a brown book with a picture of a volume button. They have a good selection of free classics available to the public for free, and a larger collection of audiobooks that are paid.

That's all I suppose. A lot of my material is just stuff I'm interested in, in Spanish. Such as books, documentaries, movies, etc. If anything else pops up I'll be sure to let you guys now.
2 x
SC: ES : 48 / 100 Books SC: IT : 7 / 100 Books
SC: ES : 38 / 100 Films SC: IT : 16 / 100 Films

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:52 am

James29 wrote:
Allison wrote:I know there are a bunch of us who are using or have used the Gramática de uso del español books. I own the B and C books (although I have them under the McGraw-Hill Intermediate and Advanced Spanish Grammar titles). I did about five or so lessons in the B book months ago, but I'd like to restart and actually follow through this time.

I just read the left side and then worked through the exercises on the right side (and always wrote down the answers and said them aloud). I recall that doing each lesson took me about 20-30 minutes more or less. I was doing about five a week (each weekday morning).

I also just read the left side and then did the exercises. I always wrote the exercises on separate paper so I can go through the books again if I want. I sometimes did a lesson a day and sometimes took long breaks. I find it best to do the lessons more as a review than as completely new material. I just finished level B and most of the time I already knew the material in the lessons, with maybe just a few details that I didn't know, but doing the lessons was very helpful to solidify and clarify things.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am

My use of GdUdE B:
-I don't go from the first lesson to the last in that order. I started from three points (lesson 1, start of the verbs, start of subjuntivo), to avoid the boredom of spending "too much" time on very similar things. And as well to bring some spaces between learning, to avoid using only the short term memory. And sometimes, I simply just skip to things I need immediately (I used to do this more with the yellow books)
-I read the left side, write down interesting examples, complete the right side, write down interesting examples. I also underline ir circle interesting points, or those not that obvious or simply new to me.
-Those notes are on post-its, I plan to integrate them in a learning notebook, perhaps copy, not sure what else. The act of writing is helpful on its own too, and I can decide the other steps a bit later. Post-its make it very practical and easy to write stuff down anywhere O happen to study.
-How many lessons do I do at once? An interesting question and I am not sure I can generalize. Sometimes one or two, sometimes ten or more, most often four or five. It depends on my time, mood, and the difficulty. The blue book is overall quite easy for me, even though I make a few mistakes here and there, and find interesting examples often.
-Corrections: I correct myself immediately, look up why I made the mistakes, sometimes copy the correct version of the sentence.

The Green book will be different, as I suppose there will be a lot of new stuff. So, I suppose I'll change my style.
-More regular studying and smaller doses. I don't think I'll be able to comfortably go through ten doublepages in a row anymore.:-D
-More work on my mistakes
-no idea about the order of lessons, since I haven't got the book yet. I also don't know exactly how hard is the level gonna be for me.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 pm

This came to me today via twitter from El Cultural in Spain and may interest more advanced learners or L2 speakers of Spanish: Dichos, normas y curiosidades: cinco libros para amantes de la lengua (Sayings, rules and curiosities: five books for lovers of the [Spanish] language).

Image Image Image Image Image
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, now I know where all my Christmas money is going. Thanks for sharing, Iguanamon! :)
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”