Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Re: Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Postby Elexi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Ok - I have made it to Lecon 49 of French In Action and Lektion 18 of Linguaphone German.

In addition I have started doing Pimsleur German again - I did I-III a couple of years back, but want something that takes about 25 minutes while I walk my dog, so Pimsleur is getting a repeat - up to lesson 15.

I also found the audio to an old BBC course Rendez-vous a Chaviray, which I am working through for fun, as well as a stack of Georges Simenon Maigret novels.
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Mista wrote:I don't want to lose focus now that the 6 week challenge is over, so I've made a list of things I want to do while waiting for the next 6WC to start. My goal is, then, to finish all these things by the end of October.

French:
- Duolingo: 65 / 78 13 skills to go, will finish sometime in October with one new lesson a day
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 5 / 30 Has not been touched for a while, but it is an obvious supplement to Duolingo, so I think it will be very useful for me
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 1 / 23 Started on this today, as part of my strategy to improve my listening and pronunciation skills

Russian:
- Mondly advanced: 2 / 21
- соседи 1 course book: 2 / 27 Did the introductory chapters at the beginning of the 6WC, with alphabet/writing and phonetics, but as I kept working, I soon realized I should have the workbook and CD as well. Got the workbook last week, CD is hopefully on its way... Will redo some chapters once the CD is here.
- Handwriting: 1 / 3 Got 3 booklets to practice handwriting, approaching the end of the second now

We are already a week into the 6WC, so it's high time for an update.

French:
- Duolingo: 78 / 78 Done! :D
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 6 / 30 I keep forgetting about this, so progress has been very slow. But I have certainly not given up on it.
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 2 / 23 Not sure how that happened, I need a good spanking, I think. :oops:

Russian:
- Mondly advanced: 7 / 21 This turned out to be more work that I thought, but I have been working on it pretty regularly, so I just have to be happy with the progress.
- соседи 1 course book: 2 / 27 CD finally came a few weeks ago, but turned out to be only for the textbook, not for the workbook. So I have to order again. Maybe I'll get it in time for Christmas?
- Handwriting: 1 / 3 Has been on hold together with the coursebook.
- Meanwhile, I got another coursebook: Азбука: 13 / 56 This is the one they use for the introductory course at the university. So far it's going fast because it's a bit below my level in the beginning, but it will soon get to the things I really need. It's at the opposite end of the scale from the other book, as it focuses heavily on grammar and basic vocabulary, but this makes it a very good companion to the Super Challenge, and despite its "boring" nature, I find it really motivating at the moment. It's reestablishing the balance in my approach. Plus, if I finish this by January, I may be able to take a course in Russian literature at the university in the spring.

New deadline: Mid-January (start of the new semester, not sure of the exact date yet).

Turkish:
- Mondly beginner: 3 / 21
- Turkishclass101 Lower beginner: 6 / 25
- Coursebook: 2 / 10

This is for the 6WC, so the deadline is December 12th (I think :? )
2 x

enrdbrow
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4934

Postby enrdbrow » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:02 am

I’ve got quite a few courses at my disposal that I am yet to finish (or even start) but I’m going to begin with the following three courses:

Duolingo – Hoping to finish the tree by the end of January with all skills gold
ASSIMIL NFWE – Hoping to finish the passive wave by mid-January and the active wave by mid-March
Hugo French – Hoping to have this finished by the end of February.
1 x
Language Log: Un goût du français
Super Challenge (French FULL)
: 0 / 5000 SC: Read
: 0 / 9000 SC: Video / Audio

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:15 pm

I am editing my goals for the CCC. My new goal is to finish Grund- und Aufbauwortschatz nach Themen: B2 - Übungsbuch Aufbauwortschatz by January 9th which is when the winter term for school starts. It's the B2 workbook for the large vocab book. I can also count part of it for the Super Challenge.

This should be doable if I'm able to stay focused. I'm having a pretty major knee surgery on December 15th so that's going to be troublesome in terms of energy. I'm currently midway through the second chapter. My other goal is to not start any more things until I finish the workbook - in short, just stay the course.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 am

I'm on my last chapter of "Advanced Spanish Step by Step" and will try to finish it by the end of this week.

Edit - I finished it this afternoon.
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:43 am

MCK74 wrote:I'm on my last chapter of "Advanced Spanish Step by Step" and will try to finish it by the end of this week.

Edit - I finished it this afternoon.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

1.I postponed the deadline for my last goals. The new one is the 10th December.

2.I've just completed the first wave of goldlisting Lernwortschatz Deutsch! Finally! I was starting to hate the book! :-D
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 pm

LIBERATION!!

I have finished French in Action - all of it. Oh yeah!!!

Well sought of . . . I still have lots of Memrise repeats to go - and some early lessons to enter into Memrise, but that counts as revision, n'est-pas?

I am wondering if the second stage course of Linguaphone French might help my course withdrawal symptoms, until then I might just read a few Jules Verne novels I have kicking around.
10 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Elexi wrote:LIBERATION!!

Well sought of . . . I still have lots of Memrise repeats to go - and some early lessons to enter into Memrise, but that counts as revision, n'est-pas?

I am wondering if the second stage course of Linguaphone French might help my course withdrawal symptoms, until then I might just read a few Jules Verne novels I have kicking around.

Congratulations! How long did it take you?
All the best,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I reckon I spent a little over 2 years on it. But I think it was worth it - the end gets a bit silly and one seems to be going over basic stuff, but I can say I have improved substantially doing the course.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:42 pm

Elexi wrote:LIBERATION!!

Wow, that's a pretty awesome feat Elexi. Congratulations. I am somewhat envious, with no negative sentiments of course, as I'm honestly happy for your accomplishment- a very decent one indeed. It's not often I hear of people actually having completed the course. If you can complete FIA, you can accomplish a lot in language learning imo, as you're able to stick it out. Well done ;)
4 x

Return to “Language Challenges”