Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Postby Ani » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:06 pm

solocricket wrote:I hope this counts as completing a course for this challenge??

Yes it counts, if that is what you want out of the course. :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I just realized it has been 9 months since I posted my intention to do.all.the.french. Unsurprisingly I haven't completed that yet. I did decided to drop Assimil forever (and then burn it and dance on it's ashes). I'm making the most progress in the CLE xxxxxxx Progressive series although I am not where I had hoped I'd be. Life got in the way of formal course work for about 5 months of those 9.

In the 3 months that will push me to the 1 year mark, I'm going to complete as much as I can of the original plan and then make a full report.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

-JM-
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (C2), French (B2)

Postby -JM- » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:25 am

Language: French

Duolingo: 38/80 (May)
Pimsleur: 44/150 (July)
Grammaire Progressive Intermédiare: 14/52 (May)
Teach Yourself French: 10/32 (May)
Michel Thomas: 10/14 (April)
Assimil FWT: 16/119 (June)
Assimil NFWE: 18/97 (June)

Woody Allen Movies: 34/50
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm

MamaPata wrote:Russian:
Colloquial Russian 2 - I would really like to finish this by about February. It's not a perfect textbook, but it's currently useful for me (and it's what I have!)
Russian in Exercises. - No end date, just keep plugging at it! For me this is the only way to make the noun endings more automatic)
I know and love Russian verbs - Same as previous!

French:
Colloquial French 2 - Again, I want to finish this by February
Alter Ego B1 - Hopefully aiming to finish this by next summer.

I have finally finished Colloquial Russian 2! Far far later than planned, but life got in the way. :lol: I am planning to continue with the others (as I haven't really been working on them, and to add Intermediate Russian: A Grammar and Workbook
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 pm

MamaPata wrote:I have finally finished Colloquial Russian 2! Far far later than planned, but life got in the way. :lol: I am planning to continue with the others (as I haven't really been working on them, and to add Intermediate Russian: A Grammar and Workbook

Yay ! Congratulations, good job :)
2 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Just finished lesson 5/12 of First Year Polish! Almost halfway there. I decided to drop the Hebrew for now-- I'm just not enthusiastic enough right now, so I'm going to focus on Polish for the time being while I don't have too much wanderlust :)
2 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Linguaphone German is complete - although I realise from the last three lessons that I need to do a lot more work on both the Konjunctiv I and II. I enjoyed the course - but I think it needs to be done with a grammar book as the notes only point to where to go. The same, I suppose, could be said for Assimil.

Anyway, I had intended to used the second level of Linguaphone course, but I think I am now going to go backwards a bit in language level and finish off the BBC's Deutsch Direkt course - a video/audio course I started but never progressed with. It has two levels of following on courses (Deutsch Express and Ganz Spontan), so I intend to use these for the foreseeable future.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun May 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Language: Spanish
Gramática de Uso del Español A : : 107 / 107
Gramática de Uso del Español B
FSI Spanish
Gramática de Uso del Español C
Practice Makes Perfect: Advanced Spanish Grammar*
Practice Makes Perfect: The Spanish Subjunctive Up Close*
Behind the Wheel Spanish 3*
Macanudo : español lengua extranjera para el Río de la Plata*

Updated deadlines:
GdUdE A & B, FSI + GdUdE C December 2017. Practice makes Perfect Advanced + Subjunctive & BtW 3 & Macanudo May 2018.

I have finished GdUdE A much earlier than expected, since I found it much less soul destroying than most grammar books. Not sure whether it's actually the book or my increased motivation to improve my Spanish! I'm even looking forward to GdUdE B. So, in proper PM style and in admiration of PM's B2 exam production scores I finished one course and added 4 to the list :D A few more advanced courses focussing mostly on my weak areas and a course on Argentinian Spanish! Next up: GdUdE B.

I also adjusted the deadlines for my Spanish grammar mission, since I dropped my Russian course mission to focus on reading.
5 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm now back at home and have a better choice of course options, so I figured I should rethink my priorities:

Russian
Russian in Exercises.
I know and love Russian verbs

Schaum's Grammar Outline (I am nearly done with this so should be able to tick it off soonish)
Penguin Russian Course (ditto)

Once I have finished these second two, I will probably investigate some other courses, as I can't handle more than very short amounts of time with the first two!

French
Grammaire Progressive du Français (Avancé) - I may also try to get hold of some of the lower levels for this.
Schaum's Grammar Outline - I am sure I have a copy of this somewhere, though I admit that I can't put my hand on it right this second...
CLE International DELF B2 200 activités
Le Nouvel Edito (B2)

That ought to keep me busy for a while! :D I work through courses extremely slowly as I just don't have much patience for them, so this will definitely be a marathon not a sprint. I will also be given an Amazon voucher sometime soon for work I did, so if anyone wants to PM me with suggestions, please do!
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm

MamaPata wrote:French
Grammaire Progressive du Français (Avancé) - I may also try to get hold of some of the lower levels for this.

The avancé book is the shortest of the 4. If you don't want a lot of course material because you work through slowly, that might be a great choice on its own. I actually really liked the débutant, which I did as a really great solidifier/review last summer when I was probably B1. The intermédiaire book is the longest of the series (so best value page wise if your are going for that) but a real slog. That book and I didn't really like each other although it is still good. The perfectionnement book is also a thick one -thickest of the four after intermédiaire and looks to be really good but I haven't done more than read through some sections.

I'm working on A Comprehensive French Grammar by Price. It is published in the same series as the Russian grammar by Wade that neofight just recommended in the Russian study group and its a really excellent book.
4 x

Return to “Language Challenges”