Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Re: Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Postby Fortheo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 am

Elexi wrote:LIBERATION!!

I have finished French in Action - all of it. Oh yeah!!!

Well sought of . . . I still have lots of Memrise repeats to go - and some early lessons to enter into Memrise, but that counts as revision, n'est-pas?

I am wondering if the second stage course of Linguaphone French might help my course withdrawal symptoms, until then I might just read a few Jules Verne novels I have kicking around.

This is huge. Congrats!
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Elexi wrote:LIBERATION!!

I have finished French in Action - all of it. Oh yeah!!!

Well sought of . . . I still have lots of Memrise repeats to go - and some early lessons to enter into Memrise, but that counts as revision, n'est-pas?

I am wondering if the second stage course of Linguaphone French might help my course withdrawal symptoms, until then I might just read a few Jules Verne novels I have kicking around.

You're a hero!
For some foolish reason, I have returned to Duoligno German, as it is an easy refresh activity, which I cannot find excuses not to do. So, I would like to finish it as one of my CCC goals. I am at approximately 20 skills out of 80 something.
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Elexi. Congratulations!

I am still in the trenches and slogging on and on and on.... :D
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:24 pm

I hope we are continuing this challenge in 2017!!!
I love it, despite being really late with most goals of mine.

this is the last list I have published. After that, I only postponed the deadlines and I have finished number 4 in December.
Cavesa wrote:New resolutions for October+November,
1. Gramática de Uso del Espanol B (fear me, Brun Ugle! :-D) Finished only 13 units out of 116 so far.
2.Grammaire Progressive, Perfectionnement. Read it almost two years ago. Haven't done most of the exercises. That is the task now.
3.Themen Aktuell. Finish the blue level finally, and at least the first half of the orange one.
4.Gold list, finish the 4000 Wortschatz.

I have finally finished Themen Aktuell 1!!! I am excited about it. But I know I should have finished the 2 by now.
I finished number 4 in December.
I am extremely slow with number 1. By now, I have completed 72 units, which is at least some progress since October.
I am leaving number 2 for now. I'll retake it back at home.

My first list for 2017, from the 16 January, till the end of March:
Spanish:
1.Gramática de Uso del Español B
2.Cvičebnice španělské gramatiky
German:
1.Němčina nejen pro samouky
2.Themen Aktuell 2
3.Themen Aktuell 3
4.Klipp und Klar
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Mista wrote:French:
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 6 / 30
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 2 / 23

Russian:
- Mondly advanced: 7 / 21
- соседи 1 course book: 2 / 27
- Handwriting: 1 / 3
- Азбука: 13 / 56

Turkish:
- Mondly beginner: 3 / 21
- Turkishclass101 Lower beginner: 6 / 25
- Coursebook: 2 / 10

French:
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 8 / 30
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 3 / 23

This is just pathetic :oops: . But I've done plenty of other French stuff, at least...

Russian:
- Mondly advanced: 19 / 21
- соседи 1 course book: 2 / 27
- Handwriting: 1 / 3
- Азбука: 29 / 56

Moving forward at a decent rate - I don't have time to work with all of these daily, and I think it's better to stick with some for a period and switch at convenience. I'm doing such a switch now, from Азбука to соседи. I'll get there in the end.

Turkish:
- Mondly beginner: 10 / 21
- Turkishclass101 Lower beginner: 22 / 25
- Coursebook: 3 / 10

Made some progress there, and it was fun while it lasted. Now it's time for a new 6WC, and a new language:

Portuguese:
- Mondly beginner: 0 / 21
- workbook vocab: 0 / 111
- workbook grammar: 0 / 128
- Duolingo: 19 / 69

Not sure how far I'll get by the end of the challenge. Let's just say that I hope to make some progress in all three languages, and that I hope to use 1 hour a day on Portuguese, and 1 hour a day specifically on the courses mentioned here for French and Russian (combined).
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 am

So after starting and then abandoning this thread, I'll just clarify and say that I am in fact still working on the same goals. It is just that when you keep rotating though courses you never actually finish anything! "Finish something" is my high and lofty goal for this year. Impressive right?

Congratulations to those who are completing their courses and keeping the thread going. It is great motivation to see everyone's hard work.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm starting some courses. It'll be a real challenge, but I'll do my best to finish them all.

Language: Russian
Course Material: Planeta De Agostini (48 lessons) (Russian course in Spanish)
Comments: It provides a huge amount of vocabulary and exercises. I've been studing Russian for more than a year, but my core vocabulary is too small. On the other hand, my knowledge of grammar is good. So I need vocabulary to begin reading and speaking the language.

Language: Romanian
Course Material: Duolingo (24/62)
Comments: Actually I've started this course. Again, my grammar is good, but it lacks vocabulary. I've completed DLI and it helped automatizing the language with the its drills.

Language: Swedish
Course Material: Duolingo (0/66)
Comments: I'll start today. My goal is to stop dabbling and do something for real, focusing on vocabulary and pronunciation. Although Swedish is not a priority right now, I'll take it seriously.
4 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Wow, I just discovered this thread and I think it's a great idea! So, I'm in. I'm just focusing on my two main languages, French and Hindi, and I intend to try to finish the courses one at a time, rather than in parallel. Duolingo is the one exception, as I expect to work on this alongside other courses.

Language: French
Courses (in the order I plan to complete them):
Hugo French in 3 months (completed 7/12)
Assimil NFWE active wave (I have done 30 or so, but will start again. I like this course and it bears regular revision.)
Hugo Advanced (0/ x)
Assimil Using French (0/ x)
Duolingo French (Present 3: 40/80, but my tree needs a lot of work to bring it back)

Comments
Most of my French activity is taken up with using French input: films, podcasts, reading, etc. My goal in using these courses is to improve my grasp of the basic elements of grammar, and to keep reviewing the basics I already know. However, both Assimil books and the advanced Hugo use more immersive techniques, with lessons being built around dialogues. While working on NFWE I intend to work on shadowing the dialogues, something I haven't done in French.
If I ever finish all those French courses, I'd like to fully complete French in Action and FSI French. I'd also like to work on a few workbooks from the Progressive series. But for now, I'm determined to finish the above 4 textbooks plus the one online course.

Language: Hindi
Courses
Assimil le Hindi sans peine (26/55)
Routledge Intermediate Hindi Reader (by Naresh Sharma) (starting over, so 0/20)
Intermediate Hindi Reader (by Karine Schomer and Usha R. Jain) (0/21)
Teach Yourself Hindi

Comments
Since my visit to India in July/August 2015 I've hardly touched my Hindi books, but I'd like to change that.
I have found Assimil Hindi to be an excellent course, and working on it definitely improved my Hindi when I used it about 2 years ago. Shadowing the dialogues was particularly useful in loosening my tongue to speak. Assimil Hindi is only available in a French base, which I've found to be very useful for improving both languages at once. It also gives a rather different angle to problems they expect a learner to face.
I worked on both readers that summer in India, and I'd like to finish them. I use them like Assimil: listen several times, read the story without looking anything up (underlining unknown words), read again looking up all unknown words and any words I think will continue to be troublesome are entered into Anki. I then read again several times (sometimes while listening), and also periodically re-read and re-listen to previous chapters. I found this to be brilliant for building vocabulary because I was always learning new words with context. The Routledge reader has less content, but it easier to read than the Usha Jain reader, so I'll aim to finish the Routledge one first.
I want to finish Teach Yourself Hindi mostly out of stubbornness. It is really too dense a book, but full of useful content. I've worked on it, on and off, since about 2003 or so. One day I will have read every paragraph and completed every exercise. (FYI Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi, aka Get Started in Hindi, by the same author, is much more sane).

EDIT: added current progress to some of the courses. And here's a link to my log: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2612
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I took a major break from French In Action through Autumn and Winter. I have just got back into it, and I still find it a tough slog. One of the problems for me is that I have to keep going between the Study Guide, the Workbook, the Textbook, and the audio lessons. I must admit that I keep getting lost and have trouble remembering what to do next. Part of the problem with age and fatigue. The books are large and I have carpal tunnel syndrome so that adds to my difficulties.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:35 pm

It's been a while, since I posted here. Back then, I was studying Spanish and French. I abandoned both, due to a lack of interest. I just had no real hook..
But now I'm back and learn a new language: Japanese. From scratch. And therefore I follow a course to get into the language. My Japanese hook is Manga and Anime and a friend who is also a bit into Japanese, and some friends who are Japanese. Although I focus primarily on understanding in order to read Manga or watch Anime and less on actually communicating.

Language: Japanese
Course Material: Genki 1 coursebook and workbook
Comments: Besides Genki I also go through Tae Kim's guide, but more as a second source. I also might get more courses but mainly for reading practice and having texts in a good order of difficulty.
1 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Return to “Language Challenges”