SC 2016-17 Discussion of Books/Films/audio

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

SC 2016-17 Discussion of Books/Films/audio

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:28 pm

We've had a thread before to discuss learning materials for the SC, and I've really enjoyed discussing old and new favourites. I think if you make a useful suggestion it would also be helpful if you could add it to the wiki (note to self as well).

To make your suggestions even more useful, give the page numbers or time so that people know what they are getting into.

I'll start by mentioning a few books I've looked into while prepping for my German SC:

Tintenherz has been really popular among German learners here. In the UK I can get it in book form or for Kindle, and there is an unabridged audiobook on Audible (which says it lasts 17hrs 59mins... that looks like a lot!)

Rico und Oskar There are three books in this series, which appear to be directed at young teens. The books look fun, have high reviews on Amazon, and are also available in the UK on Kindle and Audible. There is also a film.
The three books are:
1. Rico, Oskar und die Tieferschatten (224 pages, 3hrs 59mins)
2. Rico, Oskar und das Herzgebreche (272 pages, 5hrs 17mins)
3. Rico, Oskar und der Diebstahlstein (336 pages, 6hrs 36mins)

If anyone could give a review or further comments about any of these books, I would appreciate it! :)
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: SC 2016-17 Discussion of Books/Films/audio

Postby reineke » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Children/youth/teenagers
Ppoular authors: Michael Ende, Erich Kästner, Otfried Preußler, Felix Salten (Bambi), Johanna Spyri, Akif Pirinçci (Felidae).
Serialized books/audiobooks TKKG, Bibi und Tina, Die 3 Fragezeichen.
0 x

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:43 pm

I haven't been collecting much stuff for my own challenges (I guess I'll start watching all those films I have at home which have French or Spanish audio). I am always looking for original Spanish novels or films. For films I just don't seem to know any, but I also haven't searched much. If anyone has any suggestions...

I do have some suggestions for original German films though. I guess some of them might not be available in other languages as german, so they probably aren't that popular in other countries (though they are in germany...), so I thought to mention them here.
  • Films by Til Schweiger (Honig im Kopf, Keinohrhasen, Zweiohrküken,...)
  • Fack ju Goethe 1+2
  • Türkisch für Anfänger
  • Vorstadtkrokodile *
  • Die Wilden Kerle *
  • Schloss Einstein * #

* Films/series for children, but still original German and probably funny for some people.
# This is a children/youth series which until now has around 800+ episodes from which many are available on youtube.
2 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

German Films

Postby Montmorency » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:46 pm

On the subject of German films, one film that I think didn't get quite the attention it deserved was "Barbara", the story of a doctor in the former GDR (DDR) who is in semi-"exile" in a remote part of the country for displaying dissident qualities (well, she has a western boyfriend).

In a similar vein there is also of course the perhaps more well-known TV series, "Deutschland 83".
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun May 01, 2016 6:39 am

For B1 level French, L'avis de Marie is a list of about 150 podcasts from a native speaker. Each podcast has a full transcription available. For me they have been a good bridge between book audio and shows, being somewhere in between on the difficulty scale.

I've listened to the first 30 +, and I plan to continue with more. At times they are a bit slow, but they make up for it by covering a wide range of topics and offering insight on life in rural France. That's kind of cool for me since I'm on the other side of the globe. A great intermediate resource.
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun May 01, 2016 2:15 pm

rlnv wrote:For B1 level French, L'avis de Marie is a list of about 150 podcasts from a native speaker. Each podcast has a full transcription available. For me they have been a good bridge between book audio and shows, being somewhere in between on the difficulty scale.

I've listened to the first 30 +, and I plan to continue with more. At times they are a bit slow, but they make up for it by covering a wide range of topics and offering insight on life in rural France. That's kind of cool for me since I'm on the other side of the globe. A great intermediate resource.

Thanks for mentioning those! I've listened to about 50 of the episodes of L'avis de Marie, and I agree it is a brilliant bridging resource. Marie stepped down at the end of 2015 and now the same website is offering another series in French called Balades (http://www.podclub.ch/sendungen/balades-f). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm glad they're still producing new podcasts. The same website also offers podcasts in German, Swiss German, English, Italian and Spanish, all aimed at "A2 to B1". All the podcasts also have a script online, and if you listen online the script highlights as each sentence is said (this doesn't happen for older podcasts). All in all, one of the best bridging resources I have found.

And now they count for the Super Challenge! :D Previously the lower limit for the film half was 15 minutes, but Solfrid has lowered it to 10 minutes minimum. (EDIT: looking back at the discussions and infographics, it was video for learners which had the time restriction, not podcasts, so I suppose they would always have counted).
Last edited by jeffers on Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun May 01, 2016 2:50 pm

jeffers wrote: Marie stepped down at the end of 2015 and now the same website is offering another series in French called Balades (http://www.podclub.ch/sendungen/balades-f). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm glad they're still producing new podcasts. The same website also offers podcasts in German, Swiss German, English, Italian and Spanish, all aimed at "A2 to B1". All the podcasts also have a script online, and if you listen online the script highlights as each sentence is said (this doesn't happen for older podcasts). All in all, one of the best bridging resources I have found.

And now they count for the Super Challenge! :D Previously the lower limit for the film half was 15 minutes, but Solfrid has lowered it to 10 minutes minimum.

Thanks for mentioning that there's an italian podcast! Notes in Spanish was a huge boost to me, and I was hoping to find something that would provide the same benefit in Italian. I'll definitely give these a try!
0 x

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Postby zhuzilu » Sun May 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Komma wrote:I am always looking for original Spanish novels or films. For films I just don't seem to know any, but I also haven't searched much. If anyone has any suggestions...

Hi Komma, maybe I can help you with Spanish film recommendations. You can start checking Filmaffinity (Spain's IMDB), and use the search engine to find films within whatever decade/genre/country/film-tv series-documentary that are interested in.

And also the TOP search, the same as above but with the best films in the area that you search.
http://www.filmaffinity.com/es/topgen.php?genre=&country=ES&fromyear=&toyear=&nodoc

If you want personal recommendations... I don't really like Spanish cinema... (the Almodovar type :lol: )
But I enjoy a lot of TV series among them:
- El ministerio del tiempo (so good scifi involving time travel secret police that need to watch out for history to remain the same, you can watch it online on the TVE website
http://www.rtve.es/television/ministerio-del-tiempo/capitulos-completos/
- Los misterios de Laura. Also police Tv series, this is more regular but it is quite funny. Also in the TVE web page.
- 7 vidas. This is a little bit "old", but excellent! Seriously best tv series ever done in Spain. Lots of political, satirical jokes (maybe some are outdated, but still so funny). It's like Friends, but the "friends" are diverse.
- Vaya semanita. It's a sketch type of program, really good as well, it's from Basque county, so they'll talk about maybe some especific things like ertzaintza which it's "police" in Basque.

And right now, I don't remember any more that I really enjoyed. But I guess the TVE website it's a good place to start, has it has subtitles for deaf people, it would be quite useful.

Good luck! :)

Ps: now that I reread my post, all I talked about was police lol, it's just a mere coincidence hehe
5 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun May 01, 2016 6:26 pm

jeffers wrote:Thanks for mentioning those! I've listened to about 50 of the episodes of L'avis de Marie, and I agree it is a brilliant bridging resource. Marie stepped down at the end of 2015 and now the same website is offering another series in French called Balades (http://www.podclub.ch/sendungen/balades-f). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm glad they're still producing new podcasts. The same website also offers podcasts in German, Swiss German, English, Italian and Spanish, all aimed at "A2 to B1". All the podcasts also have a script online, and if you listen online the script highlights as each sentence is said (this doesn't happen for older podcasts). All in all, one of the best bridging resources I have found.

And now they count for the Super Challenge! :D Previously the lower limit for the film half was 15 minutes, but Solfrid has lowered it to 10 minutes minimum.

Hey, thanks for pointing out the new Isabelle: Balades podcasts! I'm definitely going to add them to my list of audio.
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 pm

For Italian I have MHz Choice which is available in the US for about $8 per month. There are also shows/films in German and French as well as other European languages. US Amazon is carrying a lot more eBooks in Italian and other languages. Unfortunately there is also a lot of garbage available from wannabe writers so I first search on http://www.mondadoristore.it/ to find Italian authors I want to read and then check on Amazon. I imagine that one can find online book stores for other languages as well.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Language Challenges”