Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby rdearman » Wed May 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Aozora wrote:I'm getting this weird thing where when I tweet my book pages, the bot just tells me I'm not registered for Tibetan :/ I can't find anything wrong with the tweets ("I read 25 pages of "miyama" #book" and "read 25 pages #book") but only barebones tweets like "#read 25 pages" work. Is there something about the hashtag #book?

Bthe bot knows it ia a book if you read it. So just do something like

I #read 25 pages of "my book" in #french
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu May 05, 2016 3:39 am

I hope that everyone is off to a good start.
I have been spending more time on this challenge than I can afford to for the whole 20 months, but I would really love to see what a complete challenge in two languages would do. I registered for half challenges, but I really want my Tagalog to do what my recent personal, "sort of super challenge extensive reading" did for my Spanish...

My reading in both Tagalog and Spanish is too slow, but I guess it will get better as I read more. It still feels very strange to be reading Tagalog. I wish there were more fun things to read. I'll look in Manila for more fun stuff. I'm not sure, but I think I feel the creaking, grinding noise in my ears while I read Tagalog is the sound of my 32 years fossilized Tagalog trying to wake up...

Weird, I can speak Tagalog much better than I can read it, and I can read Spanish much better than I can speak it.

I hope that this Super Challenge can restore some balance.

I love to read, and Frank Underwood sounds even wickeder in Spanish than he does in English.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 am

I've been trying to think about the spirit of the challenge and my Tagalog watching. I watch Tagalog often at home. The idea of the challenge is that you do something more than usual, or so it is as I understand it. I've decided that I'm only going to count the time that I spend watching Tagalog closely or shadowing it. I can't shadow all the time; it annoys my wife, who is usually just trying to watch the show...
It's interesting; I've already noticed some new things about Tagalog that I didn't notice before (mostly new ways of saying "get out!").

I'm not saying that is "the" way to do the challenge, but that's how I'm going to try to do something new to unfossilize my 32 year old Tagalog.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Lorren
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (maintenance/improving), German (intermediate), Russian (upper beginner), Portuguese (N). Dabbling in French, Danish, Irish. Italian (dormant)

Postby Lorren » Fri May 06, 2016 8:32 am

Did the bot change the definition of what a film entails? I logged watching 57 minutes of Russian today and it says that I already completed one film. It seems a little odd.
0 x
SC Russian Reading: 0 / 100 Movies: 2 / 100 100 of each
SC Spanish Reading: 4 / 50 Movies: 1 / 50 50 of each
SC German Reading: 1 / 50 Movies: 0 / 50 50 of each
10000 SRS Cards Challenge: 3322 / 10000

Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Postby Nandemonai » Fri May 06, 2016 9:04 am

Lorren wrote:Did the bot change the definition of what a film entails? I logged watching 57 minutes of Russian today and it says that I already completed one film. It seems a little odd.

57 minutes is more than half a film, so it's probably just a rounding issue/feature on the home page. On your profile it seems to be more accurate.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 pm

The bot rounds up on display, but stores the exact number in the DB and uses the exact number for future calculations.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat May 07, 2016 3:10 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask questions :oops:

I was going to use the "bot" but I'm not a big Twitter fan and prefer to just keep track of things on my own.

Do most people keep a language log of their super challenge, of just periodically post their progress on one of the super challenge threads?

I already have a language log and will probably change the title to reflect the super challenge but just wanted to know how people keep track and share their progress.

Right now instead of counting movies I'm just logging in all minutes from TV shows and movies, and once I hit 150 hours I know I have reached my goal. For books I will just read as many as I can and add the pages up at the end (this is a must since I use my Kindle).

I know I mentioned some of these before and got answers but want some clarification on how people who don't use the bot keep track of things. Maybe I can use the "progress bar" on my signature like other people have done, but I don't even know how to do that.
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Sat May 07, 2016 4:43 pm

NoManches wrote:I know I mentioned some of these before and got answers but want some clarification on how people who don't use the bot keep track of things. Maybe I can use the "progress bar" on my signature like other people have done, but I don't even know how to do that.

There's a lot of people better suited to answer your questions, but I'll give it a go:

1. Non-bot tracking:

You may want to set up some kind of spreadsheet or database with your progress and update it as you go. At least one member did this last time, and he seemed satisfied with the results.

IMHO you need a reasonable level of discipline to do this (and it takes most of the group experience motivation away). Expugnator (the person I recall doing this) has one of the best logs in this forum and he's a tough act to follow anyway. But, hey: if it tickles your fancy...

2. Progress bars:

2.1. Go to the top right-hand corner of any page in the forum and click on your username

2.2. Select "User Control Panel"

2.3. Click on the "Profile" tab (second from left)

2.4. Click on "Edit Signature"

2.5. Fill the empty box with the following text (without the spaces inside the brackets*):

[ progress=SC Spanish books ]0/100[/ progress ]
[ progress=SC Spanish films ]0/100[/ progress ]

2.6. Click on "Submit" (right-hand side button under the box)

2.7. Repeat to update (0/100 » 1/100 » ...)

N.B.: You may use other descriptions, a different ratio, etc. I use pages (5000) and minutes (9000) instead of books (100) and films (100), as I find it to be a more accurate measure of my progress.

Have fun!

* Whenever I wrote without the spaces on this post, it would just draw the boxes :)
5 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 am

Luso wrote:Have fun!

Thanks for your help. You rock!!
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm

For the book part, can I use Assimil if I manually count each word per lesson? Or maybe if five lessons equal one page?

For comic books, was it four or five comic book pages equal one book page?

I missed this challenge the last few months. I've felt my Croatian slipping away even though I've been keeping contact with the language every single day in 2016. Hooray for the Super Challenge! Super Challenge je jako super!
2 x
Corrections welcomed!

Return to “Language Challenges”