The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Re: The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Postby kunsttyv » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 pm

First time contestant here!

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CHALLENGE: Full
CURRENT LEVEL: A1
COMMENTS: Even though I haven't challenged myself with native materials solely in Spanish thus far, I've been obsessed with Latin American literature in the Norwegian/English translation for some time. Actually, it's the main reason why I have begun to teach myself Spanish, in order to some day read Bolaño, Borges, Aira, Pizarnik, Cortázar and many others in the original. In that regard, this challenge couldn't be more timely. However, as I'm still a poor novice (halfway through the Spanish Assimils at the moment, all three generations), it sure is going to be challenging. I have my copy of Los detectives salvajes waiting for me on the shelf. It's way above my level for any foreseeable future, but I have read it twice in Norwegian and really love the book, so maybe that love will make up for my lack of skill.

LANGUAGE: English
CURRENT LEVEL: C2
COMMENTS: I already do most of my reading and nearly all of my movie watching in English (foreign movies with English subtitles, a few American/English movies), so this challenge shouldn't be hard to complete. As I've been reading novels in the English translation for many years, I've experienced first hand the effects of extensive reading on my command of the written language. It's hard to say to which degree it has improved my speaking skills, but if it hasn't made me more fluent, at least it has helped me to express myself more eloquently.
Last edited by kunsttyv on Sun May 01, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 am

What is the rule on word count per page? I'm reading primarily on my Kindle and past records show my average word count per page is 165 given the font that I use.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun May 01, 2016 2:12 am

rlnv wrote:What is the rule on word count per page? I'm reading primarily on my Kindle and past records show my average word count per page is 165 given the font that I use.

If I remember right (and it's 3am, so bleurgh) the average count people settled on was 250 words per page. But with 99.9% of kindle books you just have to look at the amazon website and it tells you how many pages the book is under a heading called "print length". That should be fairly accurate.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun May 01, 2016 2:24 am

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CURRENT LEVEL: C1?
COMMENTS: I won Spanish in the last Super Challenge. Yay! I want to bring my Spanish to a solid C1 level, so that I no longer waffle when describing my level. Maybe a formal test is in my future?

LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: Half
CURRENT LEVEL: A1? (Although I feel that my Spanish makes me a bit of a false beginner)
COMMENTS: I think that I'll be focusing more on native materials in 2017. But that will still leave me with a lot of time! In the meantime, I do plan on reading some children's novels, so I can get started.
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun May 01, 2016 2:40 am

jeffers wrote:
rlnv wrote:What is the rule on word count per page? I'm reading primarily on my Kindle and past records show my average word count per page is 165 given the font that I use.

If I remember right (and it's 3am, so bleurgh) the average count people settled on was 250 words per page. But with 99.9% of kindle books you just have to look at the amazon website and it tells you how many pages the book is under a heading called "print length". That should be fairly accurate.

I'm going to be reading a number of transcripts and other things on Kindle that don't have print length, plus I keep word count records in my spreadsheet. So if 250 is the settled count, I'll divide my reading session count by it to come up with pages per session. Thanks and have a good SC!
0 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Postby Longinus » Sun May 01, 2016 3:20 am

OK, this is my first time doing any sort of challenge, log, etc., but here goes:

LANGUAGE: Russian
CURRENT LEVEL: B1

LANGUAGE: Albanian
CHALLENGE: Half
CURRENT LEVEL: A2
0 x

Solfrid Cristin
White Belt
Languages: Norwegian (Native), English (C2), Spanish (C2), French (C1), Italian B1, German (B1), Russian (B1)

Postby Solfrid Cristin » Sun May 01, 2016 6:44 am

I have by the way made two modifications to the rules:

I have officially included a double challenge as an option, and where podcasts previously needed to have a minimum length of 15 minutes to count, I have shortened it down to 10 minutes.

May I add that you guys make me feel possibly under accomplished with just one challenge, :D but I remind you all that you can add languages or modify the challenge along the way.

And please remember that your only competitor is yourself. The rest are just partners in crime :lol:

Lots of love

Cristina
5 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun May 01, 2016 7:14 am

I will fire the first shot and register for a double helping of Spanish and anything else I can think of. I will not use Twitter. I am only worried about being my own competitor given that I'm my own biggest problem...
Last edited by reineke on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 am

Solfrid Cristin wrote:I have by the way made two modifications to the rules:

I have officially included a double challenge as an option, and where podcasts previously needed to have a minimum length of 15 minutes to count, I have shortened it down to 10 minutes.

May I add that you guys make me feel possibly under accomplished with just one challenge, :D but I remind you all that you can add languages or modify the challenge along the way.

And please remember that your only competitor is yourself. The rest are just partners in crime :lol:

Lots of love

Cristina

61 minutes to go ... should I wake up the other Pacific Islanders and tell my partners-in-crime to get ready?

Meanwhile, should we actually register double challenge on the bot, or is it just a thing that we'll talk about here?
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 am

Solfrid Cristin wrote:I have by the way made two modifications to the rules:

Lots of love

Cristina
Does this apply to any content or only podcasts?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”