The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:53 am

I need some clarification on the "10 minute rule" in relation to podcasts (and by extension other media).

If I listen to a podcast of 9minutes long, or even 9 minutes 50 seconds long, I understand that I can't count this. However, were I to listen to a 9min 50sec long podcast, let's say 3 times in a row, am I then allowed to count is as 29min 30 sec worth of 'watching', as I believe that is where you register podcasts/audiobooks, under '#watching', right? Or, as it is still a podcast short of 10min long, and I am simply not allowed to count this? (i've never yet registered podcasts or audiobooks, kinda new at this).

Another quick question, television news is not able to be counted, right?
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:36 am

Fine.... grumbles and signs up. Half the time is up so....

LANGUAGE: German
CHALLENGE: half
CURRENT LEVEL: B2 ish
COMMENTS: This should drive input. I'll match out too.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:26 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I need some clarification on the "10 minute rule" in relation to podcasts (and by extension other media).

If I listen to a podcast of 9minutes long, or even 9 minutes 50 seconds long, I understand that I can't count this. However, were I to listen to a 9min 50sec long podcast, let's say 3 times in a row, am I then allowed to count is as 29min 30 sec worth of 'watching', as I believe that is where you register podcasts/audiobooks, under '#watching', right? Or, as it is still a podcast short of 10min long, and I am simply not allowed to count this? (i've never yet registered podcasts or audiobooks, kinda new at this).

Another quick question, television news is not able to be counted, right?

Tiny fragments don't count no matter how many times you listen to them, afaiu. But 10sec is a really minor difference that accounts for, like, one longish pause.

Video news count but the length requirement still applies.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

kottoler.ello
Languages: various
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4801

Postby kottoler.ello » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:53 pm

What's the official policy on opera? :D
Went to see Eugene Onegin here in Dallas last night. Some very particular listening practice... But I figure the language density is comparable to a movie, so I think I should count it at full time value, right? ;)
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Music doesn't count :? Check that with Cristina ;)
0 x
Corrections welcome

enrdbrow
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4934

Postby enrdbrow » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:05 am

LANGUAGE: French
CHALLENGE: Full
CURRENT LEVEL: around A2
COMMENTS: I know the challenge is halfway through but if I aim for the stars (FULL), maybe I’ll reach the Moon (HALF). I’m hoping to boost my level to at least B1 in all areas by the end of the challenge. I’m going to start with graded readers before progressing on to more advanced books.
1 x
Language Log: Un goût du français
Super Challenge (French FULL)
: 0 / 5000 SC: Read
: 0 / 9000 SC: Video / Audio

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Good luck!
You can count everything you've done since May 1st :) And we've not reached the mid-point yet, that would be March 1st.
0 x
Corrections welcome

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Postby hhiusa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:25 am

I have thread a few of threads here and I still don't quite understand what is going on. We are trying to read as many books as possible? How do you register?
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:32 am

hhiusa wrote:I have thread a few of threads here and I still don't quite understand what is going on. We are trying to read as many books as possible? How do you register?

It's a challenge where you try to read 100 books (defined as being 50 pages) and watch 100 films (defined as being 90 minutes) within about a year and a half span. You can also do a half challenge where you only do half that, or a double challenge where you do it with two languages. to sign up you have to post here using the form in the first post, as well as register with the bot in Twitter; the Twitter bot is used to keep updates on what you've done.
0 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Postby hhiusa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:33 am

galaxyrocker wrote:
hhiusa wrote:I have thread a few of threads here and I still don't quite understand what is going on. We are trying to read as many books as possible? How do you register?

It's a challenge where you try to read 100 books (defined as being 50 pages) and watch 100 films (defined as being 90 minutes) within about a year and a half span. You can also do a half challenge where you only do half that, or a double challenge where you do it with two languages. to sign up you have to post here using the form in the first post, as well as register with the bot in Twitter; the Twitter bot is used to keep updates on what you've done.

So I have create a Twitter account? What is meant by current level?
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”