SRS Challenge Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: SRS Challenge Discussion

Postby Adrianslont » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am

sfuqua wrote:Oh, by the way, I really hit the wall with the 50 cards a day rate I've been doing. The reviews got me yesterday, so I dropped back to 20 cards a day today. It felt much, much better.

I hope that the reviews will eventually drop off with the slowed down input of new cards. I've been through this with other decks.

For selfish reasons I'm glad you have cut back - it makes me feel better about my mere 17 new cards a day.

Seventeen represents a jump for me - I've only been doing 12 new cards a day in recent months.

I love anki. It's effective and I usually enjoy it but more than 20-30 minutes a day and it starts to drag for me.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu May 19, 2016 3:34 pm

I made some cloze cards of some of the sentences I have gone over in the sentence deck. The cloze sentences are all from sentences that I have been practicing already since the first day of the challenge. We'll see how it goes; I've enjoyed cloze cards before, but I never have kept them in the deck for a long enough time to really evaluate their effectiveness.

Looking at the charts in anki, it looks like I have one more day of reviews before my reviews drop below 100 cards a day, a level I can sustain for the long run...
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Thu May 26, 2016 4:01 pm

I continue along nicely with sentence cards. For me srs with sentence cards is a good way to learn to read a language.
Anki has corrupted my deck twice in the past two weeks. It somehow copies the entire deck into fields of a certain card. I've been able to recover easily by re importing the .csv file that I used to create the deck using the "update" setting which overwrites the huge fields being produced by anki's errors. I'm not sure what sets off the corruption, since I do cards on both my android phone and my windows computer.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey peoples,

I have had (like may of us) on ongoing battle with SRS. One minute I hate it, the next I'm passionate about it (no, not passionate, but thinking it's a great thing).

Today I'm thinking I'm sick of it again- it's unnatural, it's this it's that. But I can play the devil's advocate myself and know there's a lot of good points to it as well. BUT I've decided to withdraw from this challenge. I'm going it alone (yet again) to rid myself of my seemingly unhealthy attachment to SRS. I think the thing is I don't know how to use it really well. I enter too many cards in my perfectionist approach and my progress through language learning materials slows down too much. So for now, i'm out. Don't be surprised in the slightest if I return. In truth i'm probably better off staying in the challenge knowing full well i'm 90% likely to return anyway. Still I like make declarations, fresh starts, fresh approaches and all that BS, so for now i'm out ;) Good luck guys! I'll be back in a day or two grovelling for my re-integration ;)
4 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 pm

I've switched from sentence cards to 2 way vocabulary cards. The sentence cards felt like they were doing wonders at first, but after a while it felt like they were taking too long to finish for the value they have.
With the word cards, reviewing the deck goes much faster. I try to pass or fail the card very quickly.
I've used big decks of L2->L1 cards before, this is the first time I'm working with a bunch of L2->L1 and L1->L2 cards. It is pretty easy to score passive direction cards, even if you don't hit the exact word, as a native speaker, you can be sure if you have hit an equivalent. So I put a hint on my cards, a field with the answer with every other letter deleted. So I have a card like this (Tagalog) want n-i- -> nais.

This helps to narrow down which word you are looking for in the L2. Each time I start a new book, I run the text through the text analysis site and make a file of the most common 10000 words from the book. I get the definitions and remove the words where goodle.translate didn't find a definition, I add in the fields I need for my cards and then add the cards to the deck, folding them in by sorting by frequency.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Ive switched back to sentence cards and hace put some French sentence cards un. I really like my multilingual deck; it's more fun when you don't know what's coming next :D
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:48 pm

I just had a look at the statistics of my Cantonese deck - 1238 cards (why it says 1232 reviews, I can't say), but so far only 43 mature cards... I guess (or should I say hope?) that they will eventually snowball, as they become more and more familiar.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ramazzati Tenchú
White Belt
Languages: English, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2716

Postby Ramazzati Tenchú » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:34 pm

I can't find the source but people here might find this chart useful:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 pm

I have continued the challenge, but I did a big purge of my cards yesterday and am back to 1681 cards under review.
I've been adding cards at 20 cards a day recently. For new cards I've been using 2 way sentence cards from Assimil French and Assimil Spanish. Active direction cards can be brutal. I started to do the review card death spiral shown by the diagram in the last post. The context in Assimil is what makes the active wave possible. With no context there are too many possible translation sentences to pick from in the active direction and it can be difficult for a native speaker to decide whether the sentence they have produced is an acceptable alternative...
I have added a hint field to my cards to try to reduce the ambiguity. So an active direction card looks like this:
Spanish
I have gone to the cinema.
Y_ h_ i_o a_ c_n_.

I've deleted every other letter in each word. I may change the hint field if I think it is making cards too easy or too hard. I have 12198 cards in my deck. It is a long way to 12198. I am Intermediate to advanced in Spanish, so these cards tend to be easy. I am a beginner in French, so these cards are hard. I can use the tts to pronounce the French when I am not sure what is going on.

It's working pretty well in that I am racking up mature cards quickly.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm doing OK. I've managed to get 1457 card reviews in, which is an average of 19.42 cards per day. That should see me at 11846 cards at the end of the challenge.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”