2024/25 Super Challenge Registration Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Carl
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Re: 2024/25 Super Challenge Registration Thread

Postby Carl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 pm

Nice progress sheet. I especially like the visualization of the progress.

I copied it and added some formulas on the first tab to automatically add up the pages or minutes from the other tabs. E.g., I changed the first challenge to German, changed the tab names appropriately, and in cell C6 of the first tab inserted this formula:
=sum('DE Books'!D2:D500)

I can use the sheet not only to record progress but also to list planned books and films--I just won't put anything in the pages or minutes columns until I actually start them.

I'm not yet ready to commit to the challenge. I've been planning to increase my production work in German and Spanish, so I'm hesitant to sign up for even a half-challenge based on comprehension. But now I have a tracking sheet, so I'm one step closer to committing!
12 x
2024/2025 Super Challenge (half challenges)
Germanic books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Germanic films 4500 minutes: 0 / 4500
Spanish books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Spanish films 4500 minutes: 0 / 4500

robokey
Languages: English (native), Japanese (intermediate), French (beginner)

Postby robokey » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:22 pm

Carl wrote:

Nice progress sheet. I especially like the visualization of the progress.

I copied it and added some formulas on the first tab to automatically add up the pages or minutes from the other tabs. E.g., I changed the first challenge to German, changed the tab names appropriately, and in cell C6 of the first tab inserted this formula:
=sum('DE Books'!D2:D500)

I can use the sheet not only to record progress but also to list planned books and films--I just won't put anything in the pages or minutes columns until I actually start them.

I'm not yet ready to commit to the challenge. I've been planning to increase my production work in German and Spanish, so I'm hesitant to sign up for even a half-challenge based on comprehension. But now I have a tracking sheet, so I'm one step closer to committing!

Thank you! Adding a formula to automatically track pages/minutes is a great idea, I'll do some modifications to add that to my own. I also understand the hesitations to commit to the challenge; I almost didn't include French. My French is still very basic and I wonder if I can find books/films that are both interesting and comprehensible (it's a popular language so I'm sure there's material, I just have to go digging). If you do sign up, I would love to see what books and films you choose. German and Spanish are both on my radar of languages I would like to study more. Either way, glad you found the spreadsheet useful.
9 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:46 am

Language: Ancient Greek
Challenge: full
Current level: advanced
Comments, links: I'm taking the audio seriously this time (if only there were movies to watch in ancient Greek!). Also, perhaps this will spur me on to accomplish my goal of reading through Plato's works before the end of 2025. Additional comments at my log.
19 x
Ancient Greek SC 2024–25
reading : 1 / 100
listening : 1 / 100

squirrel
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20183

Postby squirrel » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:26 pm

Language: German
Current level: A2
Comments, links: Hoping this will encourage me to get back into studying. Fell from B1ish to A2 after a bit of a break, so hoping to work back up to B1 and then hit B2.
15 x

Ayrossi
White Belt
Languages: French ( C2 )
Dutch ( C2 )
English ( C1 )
Arabic ( B2 )

Postby Ayrossi » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 pm

Language: Arabic
Current level: B2
Comments, links: At the same level for way too long. I do procrastinate my reading a lot but have access to plenty of books. Hopefully I will finish this time.
15 x

haziz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:26 am

Language: Spanish
Challenge: Half
Current Level: A2
Comments & Links: I have been in a rut and sliding down the wrong end of a plateau for a very long time. I am not sure this is the way out but it is worth a try. I hate social media and avoid it, so don't expect me to post my progress on social media, but posting to my log should be OK.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722
15 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 FSI
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos
: 3 / 2500 24/25 Super Challenge Reading
: 161 / 4500 24/25 Super Challenge Watching

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:16 pm

Challenge: Full
Current Level: I'd guess a weak-to-mid B2
Comments & Links: I'd like to finally move my Spanish past this intermediate plateau that it's been on for years, and I think a good dose of input would help with that. My listening is mostly native films, TV, and podcasts, and my reading is a mix of original and translated books.
16 x

dabedu
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Japanese (C2), French (B1), Chinese (beginner)

Postby dabedu » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 am

Language: Japanese
Current Level: C2

Language: French
Current Level: B1?
Comments: Estimating my level is difficult because I grew up speaking it as a kid but then moved and pretty much haven't used it for 20 years.
15 x

Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Postby Severine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm

Language: French
Challenge: Double
Current level: Advanced
Comments, links: The French language is a fixation of mine, and I already take in a huge amount of French content (books and podcasts, and series to a lesser extent), so this is more about tracking something I'm already doing than changing my habits. I have never tracked pages read or hours viewed before, so I'm keen to see the data.

Language: Russian

Current level: Intermediate but getting rusty
Comments, links: A couple of years ago, I moved across the continent, and the resulting decreased exposure to my Russian-speaking in-laws is slowly undermining my previously serviceable Russian. My partner and I speak to each other in English; Russian is a heritage language for him and he only speaks it with his family. My main goal here is to keep in contact with the language and stop the degradation. Bonus points if it inspires my partner to get some exposure to Russian other than calling his mom, as he's worried he's going to lose it.

Language: Latin

Current level: Advanced
Comments, links: I have a BAH in Latin and Ancient Greek language and literature, and once upon a time I left a PhD program in Latin philology to go to law school. I still read (and translate) Latin works for fun, but I haven't done as much of this in the past few years as I wish I had. I would like to work my way through my to-read list. Not yet sure how I'll tackle the films requirement, but I'll figure that out as I go.

Language: Mandarin

Current level: Beginner
Comments, links: Mandarin is a delight, but I am still very much a beginner and have a long way to go. I am keeping it to a half challenge so that it feels less daunting. Even if I don't succeed numerically, any forward progress would be welcome.

I'm going to set up a language log to track my challenge progress, so I'll post the link to it once it exists.

UPDATE! Here is the link to my challenge log.
Last edited by Severine on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
20 x
French ..... Read : 0 / 10000 Watch : 0 / 18000
Latin ........ Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 0 / 9000
Russian .... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500
Mandarin .. Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500

stell
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 72#p240671

Postby stell » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:22 am

Current Level: C1(ish)
Comments: I did a full Super Challenge in Spanish in 2014, and it supercharged my learning. My Spanish level is high enough that I can safely neglect it completely for a year or more and then pick up a novel and start reading. I haven't done much productive Spanish over the past several years, so my speaking and writing skills have deteriorated. I can't confidently say that I could successfully sit a C1 test without any preparation, although I do feel that it would be attainable with some targeted practice. My plan is to amp up listening, mainly with podcasts because I like to walk a lot (or at least I did before I sprained my stupid foot last week!). I would also like to watch some TV series. For the reading side of things, I plan on reading a variety of novels. I don't really care if they're translated or originally in Spanish.

Language: Russian
Challenge: half
Current Level: A1/A2?
Comments: This is honestly a bit silly of me. Starting a Super Challenge at an A2 level in Spanish felt pretty natural to me, but Russian is a whole other beast! I'm not even sure how to count the pages of things that I read, because I'm only reading short texts at this point. Oh well, can't hurt to try! I plan on reading graded readers with full audio so that I can internalize the stress and "music" of the words, reading the same text several times until it feels smooth. The listening component will almost certainly be mainly YouTube videos. I would like to be at a solid B1 level at the end of the Super Challenge. I also want to have more fun with the language, because I've gotten a bit bogged down in learning materials.

I may decide to start a new log for the Super Challenge. Undecided!
15 x
Super Challenge Progress:
Spanish Reading - 5000 pages: 8 / 5000
Spanish Listening - 9000 minutes: 70 / 9000
Russian Reading - 2500 pages: 13 / 2500
Russian Listening - 4500 minutes: 27 / 4500

Return to “Language Challenges”