Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby Zireael » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:58 am

Can I join the team? I started Japanese around a week ago and I'm hooked!
0 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Zireael wrote:Can I join the team? I started Japanese around a week ago and I'm hooked!

You sure can! I'm not sure if the team leader is on much these days so it might not be official for a little while but in the meantime, just put TAC in the title of your log and link it here. It'll be nice to see a little more activity around here again!

I'm finally getting back into japanese after a little while of inactivity and i've already got my eye set on tackling my vocab problem. For the amount of time i've been studying japanese (though in my defense, not actively the whole time), i should know a lot more vocab than i do. I would estimate it to be around the 3000-3500 word area which sounds like a fair bit but it really shows how lacking it is when i'm trying to actually speak the language.
I've tried several times to use anki, but always end up getting bored with it pretty quickly, despite the positive results. Now i've got my hands on a copy of schaums japanese vocabulary which looks very promising with filling in holes in my vocabulary. I'm not sure how long i'll stick with it but it's worth a shot!

Hope to hear from the rest of you soon!
0 x

Hanaji
Languages: Japanese (B1)
Chinese (A1~2)
Korean (A1)

Postby Hanaji » Mon May 02, 2016 4:46 am

Hi everyone!

I've only just discovered this forum! I'll be starting the Super Challenge and the SRS Challenge as I'll be going to Japan through JET from July. So I've also signed up for TAC to get back into my Japanese.

I've been learning Japanese through classes for seven years but the past year I have been stumbling over self-studying and want to work on getting into good language habits.

I'm also in my third year of studying Mandarin, and I've been dabbling in Korean on the odd occasion.

Nice to meet you :)

~Hannah
1 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt

Postby Jimjam » Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 am

Welcome to the team, Hannah!
Once you've set up your log, link it here and then you're good to go!
So what level are you at with your Japanese at the moment? Do you have any specific goals or just to improve proficiency?
1 x

anna.darnley
Languages: English (N), Chinese (HSK 6), Korean (TOPIK 6), Japanese (JLPT 3), Spanish (B2 level), French (B1 level), Farsi (Beginner), Russian (Beginner)

Postby anna.darnley » Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 pm

I'd like to sign up too! So I studied Korean and Chinese with a minor in Japanese at university (SOAS, London).
I'm keen to make sure my skills don't slip!
1 x

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Postby zhuzilu » Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi! Can I also join the team? This is my log http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618
I'll be doing Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Thanks!!
1 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

uncreativity
Languages: German (N), English(~C1), Spanish (~B1-B2), Italian (conversational), Japanese (~A1), Persian (A0)

Postby uncreativity » Tue May 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi! I'm studying Japanese and I'm keen on improving it that's why I wanted to join your team. I want to reach (at least) a conversational level. You can find my log here:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2819&p=35707#p35707
1 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt

Postby Jimjam » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 am

It's a little sad how quickly this TAC team has died out. I just looked through some of the members profiles and many of them haven't been online for months, and the activity in this thread reflects that. I honestly didn't think I would be one of the last "survivors" as I thought i would be one of the first to fall off the bandwagon. I guess this is just how TAC goes.
For those of you still here, I hope your studies are going well! And if you do still visit the forum somewhat frequently, it would be good if you could leave a comment here at least every few months, just to see how you're going and to keep this team alive.
1 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Jimjam, All,

I apologize for not showing up in months. I had to deal with some very serious health issues a close family member of mine is suffering from, three close relatives passed away, and it was overall a very, very difficult time for me.

I believe the team leader has asked for my help, but I wasn't sure how to proceed as I didn't know how the team felt about that. You're more than welcome to continue contributing for the team, Jimjam. We still have quite a bit of time for the rest of the year. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to do so.

I'm slowly getting back in the language groove as I have some employment decisions to make that may require the JLPT, and I'll hope I'll continue posting on a regular basis.

Looking forward to finishing the year with you all.

-Woodsei
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Jimjam
Yellow Belt

Postby Jimjam » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:18 am

Woodsei wrote:Hi Jimjam, All,

I apologize for not showing up in months. I had to deal with some very serious health issues a close family member of mine is suffering from, three close relatives passed away, and it was overall a very, very difficult time for me.

I believe the team leader has asked for my help, but I wasn't sure how to proceed as I didn't know how the team felt about that. You're more than welcome to continue contributing for the team, Jimjam. We still have quite a bit of time for the rest of the year. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to do so.

I'm slowly getting back in the language groove as I have some employment decisions to make that may require the JLPT, and I'll hope I'll continue posting on a regular basis.

Looking forward to finishing the year with you all.

-Woodsei

There is absolutely no need to apologise for your absence! It sounds like you have perfectly valid reasons to do so. I hope that things start to turn around for you and your family soon! I am also interested in seeing how your employment situation pans out as working in a job where I get to use languages is a goal of mine.
Also I would be very happy to have someone lead the team! It might spur some of our missing members to return or even some new faces to appear.
I can't promise that I will be posting here very much as my japanese studies have to take a backseat to my german as I am going there for exchange from february but I will still be studying it a bit as I am majoring in it at university.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”