Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby Woodsei » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 am

Happy to coordinate, AiyaLianxi :)
Goals for January 17: Finish one episode each of FMA:B, and Ichi Littoru no Namida (using subs2SRS). I plan on looping those repeatedly. Listening to 40 dialogue-only tracks of Jpod101 (over and over again). Finishing a manga volume (Noragami). Shadowing as much as I can that which I'm listening to. Review at east 250 RTK kanji.

Challenge: Taken! Should be easy with all of the above listed.

I know I didn't say so before, but I'm liking this weekly bumps:)
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:18 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:
Haha 认识你我也很高兴!I definitely don't use that as sentence as much as I used to anymore. :P

Also hello fellow Vienna friend! I'm actually working as an English Language Assistant in Lower Austria (Baden and another teeny village) - I work in two Gymnasiums, just helping with classes and stuff and I'm originally from the UK. Where are you from/what are you doing in Vienna? I think I saw you mention it earlier in this thread (??) but I've read so many posts on here since then haha.

Yeah, I was looking at the ÖSD exam - I don't know if that's just what they call the C2 exam here? Because even on the Goethe Institut website, it seems to be an exam designed for people who are wanting to study at uni in Germany/another German-speaking country or who are working. But that's why I'd been looking at it originally anyway, because I'd had half a plan to study here until I found a course that looked better for me in the UK - so I might end up taking the exam when I'm back there, which would be done through the Goethe Institut.

But yes - it does look like they only offer the Wirtschaftssprache exam, though if you're planning on studying in Vienna that would work out in your favour. Also, it does say this, which I just saw and it made me laugh for like a minute: "Für die Prüfung C2 dürfen Sie ein einsprachiges Wörterbuch (Deutsch-Deutsch) benutzen." So yeah, might not be too bad. ;)

The ÖSD exams are pretty much all the Austrian exams for each CEFR level. I'm assuming they have some sort of deal with Goethe so that Goethe won't offer their exams in Austria because there appear to be none in the entire country.. But anyway this is a bit annoying for me because Wirtschaftssprache is about as far out of my strengths as you can get. Tbh I don't think I could do a C2 WS exam in English :lol: :lol:
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:25 pm

AiyaLianxi wrote:Week 2: Goals What's your focus/target by Sunday Jan 17, 11:59 pm?
So this is a day late, but I want to know--what are you guys focusing on or targeting this week? Also, can you believe it's already the second week?! I am so not ready.

I'm focussing this week on powering through my beginner textbooks (assimil & NPCR2) and vocab with anki, so hopefully by sometime in Feb I'll be finished with both of them and I can move onto some more advanced things!
0 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Rotasu wrote:I read this has if a young child was saying this lol. I thought you already signed up for TAC here xP

maybe I wrote it that way :D I too thought I'd signed up, but I'm not on the list yet.

Anyway, new prescription specs are here so I'm going to see if reading うたかた becomes magically easier!
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

PolyglotMaya
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N3), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1861

Postby PolyglotMaya » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:55 pm

AiyaLianxi wrote:Week 2: Goals What's your focus/target by Sunday Jan 17, 11:59 pm?
So this is a day late, but I want to know--what are you guys focusing on or targeting this week?

My goal for the next 4 days (including today) is to add 60 new kanji to Anki, or about 15 a day. And at least 80 new sentences/cloze deletions, but I expect to easily meet or exceed that (latter) target.

AiyaLianxi wrote:Challenge! Optional
Devote 20% of your study time this week to passive input. Listening to music or news, watching tv or movies, skimming a magazine or book, or if you are so lucky, sitting in an area where you can eavesdrop on people speaking your target language!

That's not much of a challenge for me, since I always get a lot of passive input in :) But challenge accepted, anyway.
0 x
: 9 / 200 French active listening

: 464 / 2000 Japanese kanji

PolyglotMaya
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N3), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby PolyglotMaya » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:56 pm

dampingwire wrote:maybe I wrote it that way :D I too thought I'd signed up, but I'm not on the list yet.

Anyway, new prescription specs are here so I'm going to see if reading うたかた becomes magically easier!

Is this a reference to the Banana Yoshimoto book?
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

PolyglotMaya wrote:
dampingwire wrote:maybe I wrote it that way :D I too thought I'd signed up, but I'm not on the list yet.

Yes. I have a copy of that book published together with サンクチュアリ.

FWIW I don't know if it is the specs or that the book is getting easier or I'm more used to it or even whether I'm drifting from intensive reading to extensive reading, but I'm now managing 4 pages every 30 minutes rather than 2. I'm still missing stuff and failing to understand stuff ,but at least I'm making sure that I know each word before I move on.
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

PolyglotMaya
Yellow Belt

Postby PolyglotMaya » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:20 pm

dampingwire wrote:
PolyglotMaya wrote:

Yes. I have a copy of that book published together with サンクチュアリ.

FWIW I don't know if it is the specs or that the book is getting easier or I'm more used to it or even whether I'm drifting from intensive reading to extensive reading, but I'm now managing 4 pages every 30 minutes rather than 2. I'm still missing stuff and failing to understand stuff ,but at least I'm making sure that I know each word before I move on.

I also have a copy with both うたかた and サンクチュアリ!

I read the first few pages and found it manageable. My reading pace in Japanese is a bit slow (though I didn't count how long it took me per page etc), but I seem to be understand what's going on so far (only about 4 pages in).

I'm currently obsessed with a manga series, but once I finish that, I want to go back to うたかた / サンクチュアリ.
0 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:52 am

@AiyaLianxi: Did you get any of my pm's? Been trying to get in touch for a couple of days over coordinating tasks. Hope all's well on your end.
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:06 am

So this is a day late, but I want to know--what are you guys focusing on or targeting this week? Also, can you believe it's already the second week?! I am so not ready.

Ha, I am super late on this! But anyway:

Mandarin: Get through the first text from NPCR 5. It'll take about 45m/1 hour I think, it's just sitting down to do it.
Japanese: Finish up to the fifth lesson of Easy Japanese (from NHK World). I've done up to half of lesson three; they're not too long, but again, it's sitting down and focussing that's the issue.

I don't know how we're two weeks into the year and I'm already being so flighty, tbh...
0 x
pronouns: she/her

Return to “Language Challenges”