Team Spanish - TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Re: Team Spanish - TAC 2016

Postby jennybenny25 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:55 pm

hola!

Have ordered first spanish reader for beginners and been on duolingo on and off- slowly getting there but been ill so has not helped :(

X
1 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 pm

It seems like a lot of our forum members were sick in January. That stinks.

I have been doing well. I took a trip last weekend, which was fun. Other than that I have just been working, playing my guitar, and studying Spanish. It's a good life!

I'm totally new to TAC, so I couldn't even guess how many posts in the conversation thread would be good. I'm just happy to be able to have a place for conversations in Spanish. I'll try to have another response in the next couple of days. I can't wait until I can write/speak Spanish without so much effort. I still have to think about how to say what I want to say in Spanish, and I usually have to look up a few words and verb conjugations. That's why I want to practice, though.
1 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Yes, a couple of us seem to have been felled by illness, at least for a little while. And I think it's harder to keep up with language learning while sick when you're in the beginner to low intermediate levels. I look forward to the day that I'm advanced enough that I can, say, watch something I enjoy in Spanish while sick because it's still enjoyable and understandable with my lowered mental energy.

I'm going to make the decision that ... 3 posts in the "Conversación en español" will complete the February challenge. As always, length is up to you, etc. Post in this thread when you've completed the challenge, though, so we can keep track in this thread.

I hope we can convince others to join us in the thread so it's not just the two of us talking back and forth! My weekly class always starts out with a kind of free talk question where we ask each other what we did last weekend, and it's been good to have dependable practice in this kind of conversational talking about yourself and your life. I can say "I watched TV" in my sleep now!
0 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)

Postby Allison » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:43 am

Well, I've completed three posts in the conversation thread. And so have you, Hank, so I'll put us in the first post.
0 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm

¡Hola!

I finally started my Spanish two weeks ago! It's fun, but also humbling. I have finished:
Pimsleur I, Lessons 1-15
Assimil Spanish with Ease lessons 1-7
Destinos Lessons 1-7
Spanish for Reading Chapter 1
FSI (Mastering Baron's)
Notes in Spanish Podcast (Ep1-2)

I am still determining which course will be my core course (Assimil, FSI, or Destinos) going forward. I am hoping to complete all of Pimsleur I and 1/2 of Pimsleur II during the 6 week challenge.

I am also watching the series "El Tiempo Entre Costuras" available on Netflix US with English subtitles. I'm only 6 or 7 episodes in, but I find it amazing, and am looking forward to reading the book in Spanish. Highly recommend!

I am going to sit-out the February challenge. Beyond ordering food or asking where the bathroom is, I'm not sure I could write meaningful posts yet in Spanish without relying heavily on Google Translate. I am cheering on those who can!
4 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Hank
Green Belt

Postby Hank » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Bienvenido, Mohave. ¡Mucha suerte!
1 x
Future travel plans:

Allison
Orange Belt

Postby Allison » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:10 pm

¡Hola, Mohave! It's great to hear your Spanish is off to a good start!
1 x

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49 pm

I've gotten myself stuck watching the 24/7 Gran Hermano USA live feed. I've been watching a single conversation taking place in the kitchen for 30 minutes now and can't pull my self away. Send help :P!

They change the subject so often, you don't notice that when you're in a conversation, but eaves dropping like this makes it really obvious.

Nice variety of accents, no Rioplatense that I've heard yet though :(.
1 x

Allison
Orange Belt

Postby Allison » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 pm

March begins tomorrow! How is everyone doing? Does anyone have any suggestions for a March challenge?

February has been up and down for me, as far as illness and motivation, but overall it's been going pretty well. I am one chapter away from finishing my first adult-level book in Spanish (Como agua para chocolate, for this forum's book club), which is very exciting!
3 x

Hank
Green Belt

Postby Hank » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm

My studies are going well, except that I'm getting bored with Duolingo. I got to the first lesson about Subjunctives and didn't find it helpful at all. I did some study on Subjunctives and I'm going to try the lesson again to see if I can figure it out a little better. I want to finish it, though, so I'm going to soldier on.

I'm suddenly addicted to El hotel de los secretos. My wife makes fun of me for "watching my stories". :lol: Hopefully Univision.com will keep all the episodes on the website until I can watch them. They're bad about skipping episodes for some reason.

I have no ideas for a challenge. There are only two of us really participating in this TAC, so if you wanted to skip a month that would be ok with me. Maybe participation will pick up later.
0 x
Future travel plans:

Return to “Language Challenges”