Solo español
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Highly Experimental Spanish Only Sub-Forum

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am

Hola!

Welcome to another Highly Experimental section of this board. We want to try and encourage the use of languages other than English to allow people to interact in either their target language, or native language. So as a trial we've decided to open a Spanish Only forum. The rules here are the same as the rest of the forum, with one additional rule. You need to post in Spanish.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Highly Experimental Spanish Only Sub-Forum

Postby Expugnator » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Just one thought: what about marking differently posts written by native speakers?
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Expugnator wrote:Just one thought: what about marking differently posts written by native speakers?

In what way? Could you elaborate a little?
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Expugnator wrote:Just one thought: what about marking differently posts written by native speakers?

Would people marking that Spanish was their native language in their profile (were lots of us have our languages listed) make that redundant?
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm not learning Spanish right now, but it would help if, for example, native speakers here at the Spanish subforum put their texts in italics. It would be easier for the trained eye to focus on the native content. I'd still read the posts of other learners, of course, but I would know where to base my learning on.
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

aokoye wrote:

Would people marking that Spanish was their native language in their profile (were lots of us have our languages listed) make that redundant?

That's what I was thinking, but I haven't yet filled out my languages on my profile, and I'm probably the norm, at least until the future of the forum gets sorted.

R.
==
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 pm

I love the idea of sub-forums for using other languages. It gives those learning the languages a good chance to practice and makes the forum more accessible for those whose English is not yet very strong. I see this sub-forum is already off to a good start, so I hope there will be other sub-forums in other languages in the future.
5 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Expugnator wrote:I'm not learning Spanish right now, but it would help if, for example, native speakers here at the Spanish subforum put their texts in italics. It would be easier for the trained eye to focus on the native content. I'd still read the posts of other learners, of course, but I would know where to base my learning on.

Ooh natives must write in italics in language-specifc subforums, I like this idea!
2 x

anamsc
Yellow Belt
Languages: English, español, català, français, Deutsch
Learning: italiano, (Malti, ру́сский)

Postby anamsc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Has there been any thought about allowing other languages in all the forums? I stopped using the old HTLAL because it was almost entirely in English, and the non-English forums weren't really active because people only had conversations specific to those languages. I don't think it would be unreasonable to do something like WordReference used to do in their cultural forum (I haven't been there in a while, I'm not sure if it's still like this): anybody can write in any language they want, basically. If I come across something in a language I don't understand, I have no problem running it through an automatic translator.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 pm

anamsc wrote:Has there been any thought about allowing other languages in all the forums? I stopped using the old HTLAL because it was almost entirely in English, and the non-English forums weren't really active because people only had conversations specific to those languages. I don't think it would be unreasonable to do something like WordReference used to do in their cultural forum (I haven't been there in a while, I'm not sure if it's still like this): anybody can write in any language they want, basically. If I come across something in a language I don't understand, I have no problem running it through an automatic translator.

There is the multilingual room. At the moment this is the only dedicated room.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Español”