The Duolingo Thread

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: The Duolingo Thread

Postby CarlyD » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm Carly73 at Duolingo (and Memrise). I don't think I'd consider it a primary learning source but I think it's a great reinforcement. I've used the German (to level 11) and am currently doing the Spanish.

To go along with it, on Memrise there's courses on Duolingo Vocabulary for most of the offered languages. I run through all the vocabulary either before or after going to Duolingo and find it very helpful.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm Expugnator at Duolingo, though I'm not doing anything atm. I'm waiting for the newest courses to be released from beta, especially the Norwegian one. I've already been through German and Italian, and trying to translate articles that are already translated isn't my cup of tea.

I no longer use Memrise or any SRS tool.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:58 am

I followed you, tangleweeds, yesterday, after accidentally following and then having to unfollow someone named tangleweed.

I'm Brun_Ugle on Duolingo and Memrise. (Like my name here, but with an underscore.) I've finished the Spanish course on Duolingo and I've been going through Norwegian a little to see if I can help catch the mistakes since I already know the language. I'm also working my way through the Esperanto course. I like Duolingo quite a bit, though I didn't at first. So, I'll probably do more courses eventually, but I think I should finish what I'm doing now first.

I joined Memrise a long time ago, but didn't really see the point at the time. Now, I've just started using it again and I'm addicted already.
0 x

Hypatia
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2/B1), Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby Hypatia » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am

Has anyone tried Duolingo Turkish?

I can't get on with Memrise as my brain doesn't go for mnemonics, but I found Duolingo German really useful, minor quibbles aside.
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 am

Hypatia wrote:Has anyone tried Duolingo Turkish?

I tried it for a while, but I gave up after passing the first checkpoint because it was too hard for me. I think the course was fine, but the language is just too complicated for my little brain to figure out :?
0 x

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Hypatia wrote:Has anyone tried Duolingo Turkish?

I ran through the course when it first came out in beta. It was... OK, i guess. I mostly used it as review, not really a learning resource, though.

At the time, there was a substantial number of errors with the translations, but the team was quite responsive to suggestions for improvements. I dont really know if the course has changed much since then, but I imagine it's only improved.

R.
==
1 x

Hypatia
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2/B1), Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby Hypatia » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks, both! I may give it a go, but will bear in mind that it may not be 100% accurate.
0 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks! to everyone who's found and friended me, and Hi! to those I found and friended, at both Duolingo and Memrise. It's motivating to know there are others out there to who can "see" me. I started out doing Duolingo Spanish a few years ago with my brother, and it was nice having a companion.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 pm

I gave it another try. These tests are really frustrating, I'm stumbling over minute things, mostly in English :mrgreen:
But wasting my time at level 4 or 5 is frustrating too. I know all the vocabulary, I know all the grammar of those units. I would like to pick modules based on their content, not based on where on the tree I am. There seem to be some useful modules in there, like computer stuff, but they remain grayed out. Can they get unlocked - without doing stupid tests?
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:48 pm

I gave up on using Duolingo to brush up on my French because the tests depended so heavily on the specific vocabulary they had chosen, so I kept failing the tests, in contrast to being able to comfortably enjoy so many other easy French resources on the web.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”