The Duolingo Thread

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760

Re: The Duolingo Thread

Postby getreallanguage » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:56 am

I'm ignacio866002 on there. I'm currently doing Dutch and swedish.
0 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:11 am

I'm doing the Esperanto course. I like it. It's easy and fun. This course is still in beta form, so there are some errors.
I have a Duolingo coffee cup. It cost about two thousand dollars.
(I got it at the Polyglot Gathering for free, but getting to the gathering was not cheap!)
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 am

Esperanto is still in beta, but it's very good. I like that they made such detailed grammar notes. The Spanish course hardly has any, so you really need to do some other course along side it in order to understand what's going on. Esperanto, you could probably learn using Duolingo as your main source.
3 x

kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Postby kimchizzle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 am

I began the Spanish course. I already knew a bit of Spanish, but I decided to start from the beginning since I read it was better to do that and not do the placement test unless you are a much higher level and just plan to use duo for review. I enjoy the course, I'm getting practice activating some conjugations that have been in passive memory too long. I also learned just a few vocabulary words which I was surprised about since I'm still in the beginner levels.

I plan to finish the course and I'll probably give a review of my thoughts afterwards.
0 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 am

I'm spoonary on Duolingo. Anyone is free to add me on there for some friendly competition (although I am not particularly good competition because I don't use the site very much).
0 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Esperanto is still in beta, but it's very good. I like that they made such detailed grammar notes. The Spanish course hardly has any, so you really need to do some other course along side it in order to understand what's going on. Esperanto, you could probably learn using Duolingo as your main source

Yes, we are in the same Esperanto class! Duolingo is my main learning source, and I've also signed up at lernu. The goal is to me conversant by October for the Polyglot Conference. At the gathering everyone seemed to know Esperanto and I felt a little left out of those conversations.
I can't seem to get my Skype to work properly, so I haven't been able to participate in the group conversations. Today is a Duolingo day for me. It's a good day for a review of what I've learned so far.

I only saw a few minor errors, such a marking an incorrect answer as correct and telling me a word was misspelled when I was right. The sentences can be funny, too! "Duo doesn't eat children." That's good to know, I would hate that little green owl if he ate children or kittens and puppies.
I's a cute little owl.
3 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:41 am

I'm on it as gary_bryan, although I'm probably also not great competition. I just use the site for a bit of extra revision/practice when I have a bit of time to spare, every other day or so. That seems to be what it's most useful for; I don't see how it could be used as a main method, except perhaps for something simple like Esperanto as discussed.

I find it a joy to use on a computer (minor bugs aside) but painful on a phone. Typing takes so long and the voice recognition doesn't work as well. I was surprised to read that something like 80% of its use is on mobile devices.
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 am

Typing is very damn fast if you swipe the words, I think even official Google keyboard allows it now. I disliked practising on phone because there were not enough lives for really hard levels, don't know how it works now.
(since everyone is sharing - viadiva9 on memrise and viadiva on duolingo, although I admit I got fed up with the latter and use the first in waves)
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 am

They've gone away from the system with lives/hearts. Now there is just a little line across the top that fills in with color. The color moves back a notch if you get a question wrong, so that just means you'll have to answer an extra question to complete the round. You don't die at least.
1 x

getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760

Postby getreallanguage » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm

I use Duolingo exclusively on my Android tablet, since it is exceedingly slow on my mac. Since one of my students is using the Spanish from English course at Duolingo, I decided to check it out (I'm a self employed Spanish and ESL tutor). After a few tries with the placement test, I managed to test out of 59 out of 64 skills and then individually tested out of those other five skills plus the two bonus skills. I have to say there are quite a few problems with the course, though I can't comment on the voice because I did the whole thing with the app muted. So many, in fact, that I'm considering applying as a course contributor to see if I can iron some of them out.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”