Glossika Daily Life and Travel modules

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
eamon0989
Languages: English (N) Spanish (C1) French (B1) Portuguese (Conversational) Italian (conversational) Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6208

Glossika Daily Life and Travel modules

Postby eamon0989 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Glossika and I've used the fluency modules in 3 languages and find it to be very useful. My question is, I've seen that they have daily life and travel modules now, but there is almost no information about them online (that I can find), has anyone had any experience with them? What kind of topics do they cover, is it practical and useful?

For example, if you're moving to a different country, would the Daily Life modules be very useful?
1 x
Language Enthusiast, Spanish (B2/C1), French (Conversational), Portuguese (Conversational), Italian (can get by) Twi (A1)

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: Glossika Daily Life and Travel modules

Postby Axon » Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 am

I've completed a Business module, I've played around with a Daily Life module, and I'm currently halfway through Travel.

In short, the Fluency series is about sentence patterns and the actual vocabulary is secondary to that goal. The additional modules seem to be much more like phrasebooks, in that they have sentences and vocabulary clearly meant for specific purposes instead of slowly teaching you grammar. They also have a ton more variations for expressing the same concept in different words.

The Business module doesn't have a ton of specific vocabulary like acquisition, merger, stock price, taxes, etc. Instead it's a lot more about the kind of everyday conversations you'd have in a workplace setting. Lots of stuff about using the phone. Here are some examples (these are all different numbered sentences, the slashes just show how many variations there are):
Today I'll be in the office all day.
I'll be waiting for you at ten./I'll be expecting you at ten./I'll expect you at ten./I expect to meet you at ten.
He's in but he's not at his desk right now. / He's away from his desk now.
I had yesterday off. / I decided to take yesterday off.
Is there anything scheduled for Tuesday?
I'm transferring your call to extension 104.

The Daily Life module has sentences for arguing/talking back or discussing feelings alongside things like going to the doctor, looking for a house, paying bills, using technology, and going out to eat:
I'm absolutely shocked, I'm speechless.
Everything will work out!
Sorry I'm late.
I think I'm going to vomit. / I'm going to barf. / I think I'm going to be sick. / I think I'm going to lose my cookies. / I think I'm going to toss cookies. / I think I'm going to lose my lunch.
Don't give me onions.
There's a cockroach!
I don't want to have to spend any more money on a new computer.
I feel that she's purposely putting me on the spot.
Please sign at the bottom.
It's a little far from downtown, but the rent's cheap.
Are you covered by medical insurance?

The Travel module is essentially any Berlitz or Lonely Planet phrasebook plus stuff that you would say to express yourself while traveling (train, metro, bus, car, plane). It covers both interaction with officials and interaction with fellow travelers:
Sorry, no knives of any kind are allowed on board.
Are there seats in the noon flight to New York?
That line looks the shortest.
What's the exchange rate for dollars to euros?/ What's the exchange rate for dollars to baht? / What's the rate for dollars to yen?
At Times Square you transfer to the cross-town subway.
That'll be another twenty bucks.
I'm stuck in traffic. / I got caught in traffic.
Better call home and tell them we'll be late.
Could I have a look at the menu again?

Which three languages have you completed Fluency 123 in? How did you study, and what were your results?
6 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”