Free epub addon with TTS support for Windows 10 Edge Browser

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Free epub addon with TTS support for Windows 10 Edge Browser

Postby Doitsujin » Sun May 21, 2017 2:27 pm

I just found out that Microsoft added an epub addon to the built-in Edge Internet browser during the latest Windows 10 Creators Update. It allows users to read epub2/epub3 books in the Edge browser. If you haven't installed any epub app, you can simply double-click an epub to read it in the Edge browser.
The epub add-on also has a built-in TTS option. The default Windows voices aren't bad though still not as good as the macOS voices. By default the TTS feature only supports the current system language(s) but other languages can be installed, too.
0 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Re: Free epub addon with TTS support for Windows 10 Edge Browser

Postby mcthulhu » Sun May 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks, I hadn't discovered that yet, and just tried it out. It looks nice. It looks like you have to switch to a different TTS language manually, and only after it starts playing with the default system language (it was kind of funny listening to French read aloud by an English voice), but that's not really a problem. The voices menu only lists installed Mobile voices, though, not the Desktop ones.

It doesn't seem to have an integrated dictionary per se, at least as far as I could tell. If you highlight a word and right-click, there's a Bing menu option, so you get Bing search results in a sidebar, where some links may lead you to dictionary sites in a separate tab. It's a lot more indirect than I would like, but sort of usable if you don't mind extra steps. I didn't do it for too long, though, and maybe switching tabs constantly might get old.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”