Assimil mp3 CD "lyrics" metadata?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Assimil mp3 CD "lyrics" metadata?

Postby schlaraffenland » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm

How exactly have people managed to display the putative "lyrics" metadata for Assimil mp3s?

I see that this has been touched upon in this thread, but only while using Windows, it sounds like.

I bought the mp3 CD for Assimil Norsk (ISBN: 978-2-7005-1741-5, version 1.1). I conventionally copied the contents of the disc to my Linux Mint desktop, since the disc also contains html and pdf files. According to the multilingual PDF manual that comes on the disc, the id3 tags for the mp3 files contain a "lyrics" field and pertinent audio transcription. I've examined the id3 tags using VLC, Banshee, and EasyTag, but nothing resembling a "lyrics" field is to be found. The mp3 files' id3 fields in general seem to be populated with the conventional information - copyright, author - so I know that the data came over OK during my copy. But there's nothing in the comments field or the extended metadata that hints at a transcription. I've examined the id3 tags of the mp3 files directly from the disc, as well as from the copies on my desktop.

I know that a lot of players don't provide robust id3 support, but I would've thought that using the Linux-based versions of the above applications would've been my best shot at uncovering the transcriptions. That is, if they exist... perhaps this is a case of shoddy packaging and marketing? The pdf user's manual shows an example of id3 metadata for Assimil New French. Perhaps id3 lyrics metadata is not added equally to all newer Assimil mp3 CDs, even when they ship with a manual claiming otherwise? ;)

Incidentally, the files themselves play just fine, whether on my laptop or on my Sony mp3 player. The various players are able to pull the album art metadata, too. I just really wish I could have the lyrics metadata and feel that getting to it ought to be platform independent. I would've liked to pull the transcriptions and generate a vocabulary list for the course. It's been too tedious entering things manually into Anki from the accompanying paper text.

Thanks in advance for any personal experiences you may be able to share...
0 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Re: Assimil mp3 CD "lyrics" metadata?

Postby Ingaræð » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am

The lyrics are stored in the 'unsyncedlyrics' tag.

Exaile will display the lyrics, which you can easily copy/paste into something else. Only have the 'Lyrics Viewer' plugin enabled, otherwise it automatically searches online first and slows things down.

Puddletag will display the lyrics in 'stored tags'. To copy, paste or edit them, look under 'Extended tags'.

I have no idea about batch extraction - a search brought up some java stuff like myid3.

(Tested with Perfectionnement Russe. Assimil has labelled the lyrics 'english'. :roll: )
3 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:27 am

Ingaræð wrote:The lyrics are stored in the 'unsyncedlyrics' tag.

Exaile will display the lyrics, which you can easily copy/paste into something else. Only have the 'Lyrics Viewer' plugin enabled, otherwise it automatically searches online first and slows things down.

Puddletag will display the lyrics in 'stored tags'. To copy, paste or edit them, look under 'Extended tags'.

I have no idea about batch extraction - a search brought up some java stuff like myid3.

(Tested with Perfectionnement Russe. Assimil has labelled the lyrics 'english'. :roll: )

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. It never occurred to me that some tag-editing programs would not only not display all the id3 information appended to a file, but would also not even offer an option to enable viewing of this extended info. I guess I'll be moving away from EasyTAG. I'm glad to know that there are more robust options out there.
0 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

No worries. Personally, I prefer EasyTag - I find it more flexible and more user-friendly for manipulating common tags, amongst other things. I doubt that there are any universally perfect programs in Linux, particularly for multimedia. In my experience, it usually a case of having program X, which has the features that you want 95% of the time, and then program Y for the infrequent 5%.
1 x

dan
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Spanish (A2)
Persian (Beginner)

Postby dan » Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 am

On my android phone, using Rocket player, I am able to display "lyrics" for assimil russe (mp3 version) but unable for assimil arabe (mp3 version)?

Using puddletag (thanks Ingaræð), I can see that the "lyrics" are stored in the 'unsyncedlyrics' tag.
Could it be a problem with Rocket player and arabic font?
Does someone use another android mp3 player with success with assimil arabe (or assimil persan)?

Also, even when it works (for russian), it appears as a big chunk of static text (unsynced) instead of a flowing text (sync), like a karaoke. Is it normal? Is it the only way to display the lyrics?

Thanks
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am

dan wrote:On my android phone, using Rocket player, I am able to display "lyrics" for assimil russe (mp3 version) but unable for assimil arabe (mp3 version)?

Using puddletag (thanks Ingaræð), I can see that the "lyrics" are stored in the 'unsyncedlyrics' tag.
Could it be a problem with Rocket player and arabic font?
Does someone use another android mp3 player with success with assimil arabe (or assimil persan)?

Also, even when it works (for russian), it appears as a big chunk of static text (unsynced) instead of a flowing text (sync), like a karaoke. Is it normal? Is it the only way to display the lyrics?

Thanks

Rocket Player is the only free player on Android I could find that would display these lyrics. Contact customer service (or tech support, I can't remember which) if you have an issue. I had a problem and they replied within a day.
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

dan
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Spanish (A2)
Persian (Beginner)

Postby dan » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Ok, thanks. I have followed your advice and sent an email to JRT support. I will post the solution, if any ...
0 x

u_u86
Languages: Tatar (N)
Russian (2ndN)
English (B2)
Turkish (B1)
Arabic (A2)

Postby u_u86 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm

dan wrote:Ok, thanks. I have followed your advice and sent an email to JRT support. I will post the solution, if any ...

Hello, dan. If you recieve any answer? you can try to open mp3s with mp3tag (www.mp3tag.de) and right click on file and extended tags and can see is there any lyrics physically on mp3s..

I'm personally very intrested in Assimil Arabic mp3s lyrics if any there.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”