HypLern Reader App

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

HypLern Reader App

Postby Keys » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:04 am

Hi All!

Back again, one year after introducing the free software for Windows PC for reading stories with pop-up translation and integrated SRS, found
here.

We have now upgraded the Windows PC software to a cross platform App for Windows 8 & up, Android and iOS.

The reason for this material that has been created is that there's no 100% correct literal + idiom word-for-word translated texts out there, only google translated material or paragraph by paragraph. This material has been manually translated with correct and in context meanings, and audio added. The size per e-book is kept to 8000-12000 (there's some exceptions) English words equivalent of text in a foreign language for manageability reasons.

The idea is that you can read and re-read a text and/or practice low frequency words and master reading and listening relatively fast because there's no look-up time and word practice is fast as well. The word-for-word thing is to keep you focused on the original text (no dual language paragraphs, but explanation in English idiom at best).

The difference with readlang and bliu-bliu and other sites is that every word has correctly conjugated and manually added translation. Most texts also have audio. The idea is to add audio everywhere (when funding is available).

Specifics

* The translation is immediate through word for word interlinear or mouse-over, correct, in context and in conjugation, if you have to look up 21,000 words (3,000 words on average seven times, as a wild example), it'll save you hours of study just by efficiency.
    * The interlinear or pop-up is literal and idiom if needed, and can include whole idiom meaning sentences if the original sentence is difficult to understand. There's infinite space in a pop-up for explanation.
    * The software calculates the frequency of the words in the text and makes you practice them less if they're more frequent, so your time is spent more efficiently.
    * Flash cards are made immediately upon clicking, they also contain a link to the paragraph, again both saving you a lot of time if you have a lot of them.
    * Each book has the equivalent of about 10,000 English words. Some more some less. The idea is to create books for every language, not just the big ones, once there's enough people donating funds or helping out with the material :-). Since we're using actual translators, peer reviewers, and people getting paid for audio, there is a need for funding so apart from giving it away we're selling it as well.
    * The e-books have around 1,200 to 3,000 "unique" words to learn. In reality part of these are headwords so once you recognize different forms of words in your target language you know a lot more.

Free

PM me for a free version of the App or specific pdf's (with mp3's if already funded), I'm going to add links as well. For questions please contact me, or read the info pages in the software accessible via the Bermuda Word logo or the pop-ups on the settings page, or reply my post. If we don't get feedback we can't fix anything of course, however thanks for the people that mailed me their feedback up to now! Thanks Mercutio for the interlinear-on-demand option, and hopefully there'll be an update soon with a bigger button.

Help

You can help by buying the material and in doing so funding translators and audio people, or contact me if you want to create material like this yourself.

Interlinear paperbacks and e-books
Reader App with interlinear or pop-up format for Windows
Reader App with interlinear or pop-up format for Android
Reader App with interlinear or pop-up format for iOS

Funding is currently paying for:
    *Polish Short Stories + audio
    *Basque Folk Tales
    *Georgian Folk Tales + audio
    *Indonesian Short Stories
    *English stories to Mandarin word for word translation
Last edited by Keys on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: HypLern Reader App

Postby MamaPata » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:58 am

This looks really cool! Can you tell us a bit mire about which texts you have included? As I understand, users can't read their own texts? So I would be quite keen to know what I would be reading.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 pm

The idea is that if you read (and listen to) tons of books in a language it'll reflect on all your language skills. But most language learners don't even get to the level of reading one book. Since all words are translated we don't have to use cheesy graded reader texts so it's just folktales and literature that we include.

For French for example these texts, sorry for the format, it's almost straight from the App code, last number is number of words. Some novels have been divided in chapters for practicability:
"Lemaitre_ABC" = "Jules Lemaítre_ABC_Level AB, 836"; (these are beginner stories, one for each letter in the alphabet)
"Lemaitre_DEFG" = "Jules Lemaítre_DEFG_Level AB, 567";
"Lemaitre_HIJK" = "Jules Lemaítre_HIJK_Level AB, 628";
"Lemaitre_LMN" = "Jules Lemaítre_LMN_Level AB, 777";
"Lemaitre_OP" = "Jules Lemaítre_OP_Level AB, 543";
"Lemaitre_QRS" = "Jules Lemaítre_QRS_Level AB, 765";
"Lemaitre_TU" = "Jules Lemaítre_TU_Level AB, 428";
"Lemaitre_VXYZ" = "Jules Lemaítre_VXYZ_Level AB, 746";
"Maupassant_WalterSchnaffsI" = "Guy de Maupassant_Walter Schnaffs I_Level BC, 1052";
"Maupassant_WalterSchnaffsII" = "Guy de Maupassant_Walter Schnaffs II_Level BC, 1565";
"Balzac_DrameAuBordDeLaMerI" = "Honoré de Balzac_Drame Au Bord De La Mer I_Level BC, 2338";
"Balzac_DrameAuBordDeLaMerII" = "Honoré de Balzac_Drame Au Bord De La Mer II_Level BC, 2108";
"Balzac_DrameAuBordDeLaMerIII" = "Honoré de Balzac_Drame Au Bord De La Mer III_Level BC, 2863";
"Guerber_LesTroisOurs" = "Hélène Guerber_Les Trois Ours_Level AB, 835";
"Guerber_LesTroisSouhaits" = "Hélène Guerber_Les Trois Souhaits_Level AB, 818";
"Guerber_BlancheNeige" = "Hélène Guerber_Blanche Neige_Level AB, 629";
"Guerber_LaRoseMousseuse" = "Hélène Guerber_La Rose Mousseuse_Level AB, 826";
"Guerber_LeChatEtLeRenard" = "Hélène Guerber_Le Chat Et Le Renard_Level AB, 745";
"Guerber_LaVilleSubmergee" = "Hélène Guerber_La Ville Submergee_Level AB, 1460";
"Guerber_LesQuatreSaisons" = "Hélène Guerber_Les Quatre Saisons_Level AB, 1866";
"Guerber_LesTroisCitrons" = "Hélène Guerber_Les Trois Citrons_Level AB, 3455";
"Maupassant_LeBonheurI" = "Guy de Maupassant_Le Bonheur I_Level BC, 843";
"Maupassant_LeBonheurII" = "Guy de Maupassant_Le Bonheur II_Level BC, 1160";
"Maupassant_LaConfession" = "Guy de Maupassant_La Confession_Level BC, 1636";
"Zola_LeCarnetDeDanse" = "Émile Zola_Le Carnet De Danse_Level BC, 2007";
"Maupassant_Souvenir" = "Guy de Maupassant_Souvenir_Level BC, 2139";
"Zola_UnBain" = "Émile Zola_Un Bain_Level BC, 3194";
"Balzac_LAM01LInconnue" = "Honoré de Balzac_L'Inconnue_Level BC, 1732";
"Balzac_LAM02TroisSemaines" = "Honoré de Balzac_Trois Semaines_Level BC, 943";
"Balzac_LAM03LesConditions" = "Honoré de Balzac_Les Conditions_Level BC, 1101";
"Balzac_LAM04LaLettreFinale" = "Honoré de Balzac_La Lettre Finale_Level BC, 1339";
"Balzac_LAM05TristeExil" = "Honoré de Balzac_Triste Exil_Level BC, 1291";
"Balzac_LAM06UneFille" = "Honoré de Balzac_Une Fille_Level BC, 1652";
"Balzac_LAM07UneAffaireMeurtriere" = "Honoré de Balzac_Une Affaire Meurtrière_Level BC, 1170";
"Balzac_LAM08Confidence" = "Honoré de Balzac_Confidence_Level BC, 1316";
"Balzac_LAM09LeMalade" = "Honoré de Balzac_Le Malade_Level BC, 1365";
"Balzac_LAM10LaPassion" = "Honoré de Balzac_La Passion_Level BC, 1256";
"Balzac_LAM11NouvelleRencontre" = "Honoré de Balzac_Nouvelle Rencontre_Level BC, 1248";
"Balzac_LAM12Bonheur" = "Honoré de Balzac_Bonheur_Level BC, 553";

Of course the idea is to grow the content considerably for each language.
2 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:54 am

This looks really great. Especially happy you are offering an iOS version.

It may be a good idea to also offer a demo version for each language. Another possibility would be to have just one free reader app with a few demo texts inside, and to offer each language as in-app purchase.
0 x

Keys
Yellow Belt

Postby Keys » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:32 am

If people like to support but want to try it out, it looks like at least for Microsoft Windows (phone, tablet or PC) you can get the HypLern Dutch Reader or the HypLern French Reader and check out the example stories in the other language libraries in the Wanderlust section.

I think the same goes for Android!

If you just want the total version for free, just PM me!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”