Any Pimsleur Discount?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Re: Any Pimsleur Discount?

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 pm

aokoye wrote:That's odd, I wonder if it's just a not US (or perhaps North American) thing ... but if it's not working on various other browsers in other countries it seems safe to assume that pimsleur's website isn't shipping them out of US if not North America.
I have purchased most of my Pimsleur courses directly from Simon & Schuster, in most instances from their Canadian website ... where I would be redirected, in any case. I recall having experienced roughly four instances where an item was available on the U.S. website but not on the Canadian one and that, having communicated with the U.S. Customer Service department, either (a) the item was released for sale on the Canadian website, or (b) the transaction was authorized on the U.S. website for shipment to, or downloading to, a Canadian address, or (c) the Customer Service staff advised that sales of the item were restricted to the U.S.A., that they could process my order, but were authorized to ship it to an address in the U.S. only, or to permit similar downloading. The most recent incident occurred when "Pimsleur German V" first became available: I was stalled at stage "c" for about a month, after which, I proceeded directly to stage "a" ... something getting a "get out of jail free" card.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 am

prettychloe wrote: ... by the way im looking for spanish and french 1 - 5 modules ...
I can appreciate your interest in identifying some solid discounts as, at Simon & Schuster's regular prices, the cost of the combined course modules would be about 1,200 $US and even a 10% discount won't get you very far!

Spanish and French are two of the most popular languages studied by English speakers. Given the price of the full five-module Pimsleur programme and -- excuse me -- its somewhat limited scope, you might wish to consider many of the competing, lower-priced, and truly excellent alternative sets of study materials. A second point worth considering is that, as these two languages are very closely related, it is quite common for students at the introductory level to experience "interference" that can be difficult to resolve and that can retard the learning process. For these reasons, ...

Although there is plenty of sound advice to found in the numerous discussion threads of this forum and in the archives of its predecessor, it can be difficult to track down. So then, I suggest that you create a new discussion thread, under the "Practical Questions and Advice" sub-forum, explaining your goals, identifying your experiences to date, your priorities and the restrictions that you must live with (including how much time you can devote to studying/practicing your L2 languages) and either (a) expose your current study plan and ask for opinions on how to improve it, or (b) ask for advice on building a study plan. As this discussion thread has dealt with discounted prices of the Pimsleur courses, I suggest that you not launch your request for advice here.

Good luck with your studies!
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:58 am

prettychloe wrote:by the way im looking for spanish and french 1 - 5 modules.. :)

I agree with speakeasy in terms of the issue of cost. Given that you're looking for the entire series (but times two) I would definintly start with seeing if your local library has it. The packaging will probably look a bit different and the modules/levels might be set up differently, but if your library has it that's going to be your best bet.

I also agree with speakeasy in terms of checking out other options. There are a ton of options for French and Spanish at a wide range of prices (with pimsleur being at the high end for what it is).
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:42 am

I second the recommendation to look if your library has it. If you really want to buy Pimsleur, the best discount you can get is at audible.com. If you become a platinum member, you get 24 credits at once. This will cost $229.5 or approx. $9.5 per credit (plus any applicable taxes). Each level of Pimsleur is 5 credits if bought as a set of 30 lessons. (To get the whole series, you will have to renew your membership, so you should consider what to do with the rest of the credits). This way, each level will cost less than $50, and the whole series less than $250. This is a 55 percent discount compared to Simon & Schuster. But beware: You should not learn French and Spanish simultaneously, especially not using Pimsleur. The programs and prompts are so similiar to each other that you will mix up the two languages constantly.
5 x

prettychloe
Languages: English(N)

Postby prettychloe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm

aokoye wrote:
prettychloe wrote:by the way im looking for spanish and french 1 - 5 modules.. :)

I agree with speakeasy in terms of the issue of cost. Given that you're looking for the entire series (but times two) I would definintly start with seeing if your local library has it. The packaging will probably look a bit different and the modules/levels might be set up differently, but if your library has it that's going to be your best bet.

I also agree with speakeasy in terms of checking out other options. There are a ton of options for French and Spanish at a wide range of prices (with pimsleur being at the high end for what it is).

neumanc wrote:I second the recommendation to look if your library has it. If you really want to buy Pimsleur, the best discount you can get is at audible.com. If you become a platinum member, you get 24 credits at once. This will cost $229.5 or approx. $9.5 per credit (plus any applicable taxes). Each level of Pimsleur is 5 credits if bought as a set of 30 lessons. (To get the whole series, you will have to renew your membership, so you should consider what to do with the rest of the credits). This way, each level will cost less than $50, and the whole series less than $250. This is a 55 percent discount compared to Simon & Schuster. But beware: You should not learn French and Spanish simultaneously, especially not using Pimsleur. The programs and prompts are so similiar to each other that you will mix up the two languages constantly.

neumanc wrote:I second the recommendation to look if your library has it. If you really want to buy Pimsleur, the best discount you can get is at audible.com. If you become a platinum member, you get 24 credits at once. This will cost $229.5 or approx. $9.5 per credit (plus any applicable taxes). Each level of Pimsleur is 5 credits if bought as a set of 30 lessons. (To get the whole series, you will have to renew your membership, so you should consider what to do with the rest of the credits). This way, each level will cost less than $50, and the whole series less than $250. This is a 55 percent discount compared to Simon & Schuster. But beware: You should not learn French and Spanish simultaneously, especially not using Pimsleur. The programs and prompts are so similiar to each other that you will mix up the two languages constantly.

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips you have given me, i really appreciate the help..
but after hours and hours of searching, i managed to find a seller...
I ordered both spanish and french all 5 modules for the price of $220

french 1 - 5 modules is $110
spanish 1- 5 modules is $110

im not sure if this is real since im still waiting for the delivery (download link) from the seller , but basing from the review from previous buyer i think this is legit (i hope so).. the seller also told me that he will send me the "Spanish Plus" and "French Plus" modules.. i dont know what that is but if it will help on my learning then its good..

I will update you guys, if ever i got the course, and check if its legit and complete as the seller told me since was a bit surprise about the price considering its a complete course on each language.

anyway, again thanks for all the help..
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am

Go to your library and ask about "Inter-Library Loan". If they don't have your Pimsleur course, they can get it for you from another library.
3 x

prettychloe
Languages: English(N)

Postby prettychloe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Guys,

I just want to update this..
So the seller finally send me the download link.. and after downloading and checking all the files..
its legit and complete spanish and french1- 5 modules + spanish plus and french pluse + conversational french + spanish and french for little kids...
and i managed to get all these for only $220.. :) im so happy, cant wait to start learning...

im not sure if i can post link here of seller of the products or post it to the discounts thread.. if i can, please let me know, i just wanted to help people who are looking for very low price Pimsleur product..

Again thanks for all the help, this forum rocks..:)
have a nice day to you all guys,
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:16 pm

prettychloe, I am pleased to learn that this all worked out to your satisfaction. As to the matter of publicly identifying the source of the complete Pimsleur Spanish and French courses that you purchased for the total price of $220; whereas Simon & Schuster would normally charge a price of $1200 before discounts, what do you think the probability is that the publisher and holder of the copyrights to these materials would have authorized a re-seller to offer them at such a discount? Hint: In reflecting upon the possible answers to this question, the following colloquial expression might serve as a guide for you: "poser la question c'est y répondre!"

EDITED: typos, comme toujours!
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Pimsleur
Languages: english

Postby Pimsleur » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:52 am

prettychloe wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips you have given me, i really appreciate the help..
but after hours and hours of searching, i managed to find a seller...
I ordered both spanish and french all 5 modules for the price of $220

french 1 - 5 modules is $110
spanish 1- 5 modules is $110

im not sure if this is real since im still waiting for the delivery (download link) from the seller , but basing from the review from previous buyer i think this is legit (i hope so).. the seller also told me that he will send me the "Spanish Plus" and "French Plus" modules.. i dont know what that is but if it will help on my learning then its good..

I will update you guys, if ever i got the course, and check if its legit and complete as the seller told me since was a bit surprise about the price considering its a complete course on each language.

anyway, again thanks for all the help..

Prettychloe, u

Unfortunately, the courses you purchased are unauthorized. We do not have any resellers that sell our courses at such a steep discount. These fraudulent sellers will often throw in out-of-print editions such as Spanish Plus or French Plus as additional incentives. We would greatly appreciate your help in identifying this unauthorized party and would be more than willing to work with you on a special price to purchase our courses legally. You can contact us at pimsleur@simonandschuster.com.
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:11 am

It’s late and I’m waiting for the cat to come in for the night. So, …

This has been truly an interesting discussion thread! It began with a rather thinly-cloaked request to assist in the illicit acquisition of copyrighted materials. In reply, there were some genuinely thoughtful suggestions as to how one might acquire the materials -- legally -- at lower prices. The closing act debuted with (a) a triumphal announcement that an as-yet-to-be-identified source had supplied the requested materials at a price well below what the holder of the copyright would normally charge for them and (b) an offer to share the name of the as-yet-to-be-identified source of the (clearly illicit) materials. The discussion concluded with the Deus Ex Machina appearance of someone purportedly representing the (genuinely) injured party bearing an offer of a pardon in exchange for assistance in identifying the siren whose calls cannot go unanswered. Was this “for real” or was it a “mise en scene” meant to serve as a Morality Play?

Hypothesis 1
Simon & Schuster does not monitor the discussions on this forum; new member “Pimsleur” is a fraud. A regular member of the forum, who is adept at creating new identities, has been behaving mischievously. This was “for real” up to, but not including, the punchline.

Hypothesis 2
Simon & Schuster does monitor the discussions on this forum; new member “Pimsleur” is a legitimate representant of the holder of the copyright to the Pimsleur materials. This discussion thread should be taken as a very serious lesson as to publisher’s willingness to defend its legitimate business interests. We should all familiarize ourselves with the “Forum Rules” pertaining to “Copyright violations” and heed them. This was “for real” up to, and including, the punchline.

Hypothesis 3
As a variant of Hypothesis 2, new members “prettychloe” and “Pimsleur” are one in the same, both working on behalf of Simon & Schuster. This “mise en scene” was organized as a fictitious demand to thwart the copyright holder’s legitimate business interests; the denouement was part of the programme.

Hypothesis 4
New member “prettychloe” was, in fact, the as-yet-to-be-identified source offering to supply the illicit Pimsleur materials! This whole discussion thread was designed as an attempt at finding new customers. It ended badly when someone, real or imagined, jumped in with a reminder that we’re all being watched ... all the time.

Hypothesis n + 1
I invite all conspiracy aficionados to submit their own hypotheses; they don’t have be sound or even remotely plausible.

I'm going downstairs to check for the cat.
7 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”