Any Pimsleur Discount?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
prettychloe
Languages: English(N)

Any Pimsleur Discount?

Postby prettychloe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello,

Good day to all of you..
Im new here, and i accidentally bumped into this forum..
im planning to learn a new language but it seems that products out there are pricey..

I have research for awhile about best method on learning new language and i decided to try Pimsleur.

Anyone here have discount or knows website that offers discounts on Pimsleur Method?

Thanks in advance.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Any Pimsleur Discount?

Postby aokoye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. Here's our thread with various discounts. In terms of Pimsleur my first stop would be to see if your local library has it. Barring that I know Audible has various Pimsleur courses and there are a number of Audible discounts out there.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

There used to be a few online re-sellers of the Pimsleur courses who offered discounts/repurchase programmes, most particularly for the CD packages. However, since Simon & Schuster ceased offering the courses in CD format and began offering only downloadable MP3 versions, the online re-sellers seem to have all but disappeared and the prices on any of the remaining re-sellers’ websites are now identical to Simon & Schuster’s prices before discounts.

I am under the impression that Simon & Schuster offers the Pimsleur courses under an “almost permanent” discount programme. That is, the publisher seems to offer discounts of 10% to 17% on such a repetitive basis that they are for all practical purposes “permanent.” From time-to-time, Simon & Schuster announces lower discounts of 25% and even more; however, these are rather rare occasions. You can subscribe to the sales announcements via the publisher’s website.

As far as I understand, the Pimsleur courses are offered at “lower-than-regular-discount” prices on Amazon as “Audible” download versions.

Many large online bookstores have inventories of the Pimsleur courses in CD format, some of which are the enhanced “Pimsleur Unlimited” versions and these are presently at lower-than-regular prices.

Used copies of the Pimsleur courses are available at substantially reduced prices on eBay, Amazon, Alibris, AbeBooks et cetera.

Many libraries have copies of the Pimsleur courses and are quite willing to lend them.

It goes without saying that “bootleg” copies of the Pimsleur courses are available via the Internet; however, discussing specific sources on this forum would be a serious infraction that could result in temporary-to-lifetime banning of members who engage publicly in such discussions.

As far as I understand, with a view to limiting “spam” comments, newly-registered members must post at least three messages on this forum for their “Private Message” privileges to be activated.

By the way, what language(s) are you interested in studying?
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Speakeasy wrote:There used to be a few online re-sellers of the Pimsleur courses who offered discounts/repurchase programmes, most particularly for the CD packages. However, since Simon & Schuster ceased offering the courses in CD format and began offering only downloadable MP3 versions, the online re-sellers seem to have all but disappeared and the prices on any of the remaining re-sellers’ websites are now identical to Simon & Schuster’s prices before discounts.

I'm not sure where you're getting the information that Simon & Schuster isn't offering their courses in CD format. If you go to their website it's pretty clear that they're still selling CD packages. You can also still get the CDs from Amazon and Powells (and I'm sure other booksellers), with Amazon offering a discount. You can also get used copies at both Amazon and Powells. Powells is famous in part because they buy back paper and audio books this isn't of any surprise to me (though I realize I'm one of the few that lives in Portland and thus has Powells as a local bookstore(s)).
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:24 pm

aokoye wrote: .... I'm not sure where you're getting the information that Simon & Schuster isn't offering their courses in CD format. If you go to their website it's pretty clear that they're still selling CD packages. You can also still get the CDs from ...

Simon & Schuster
I just clicked on the LINK that you provided and selected "German" amongst the languages that are presently offered. The formats available are: MP3 and Software. CDs are not offered for sale for this language on the publisher's website and have not been for quite some time. If CDs are available for this language, I would assume that the prospective buyer would have to communicate with the Customer Service department. I did not verify, nor do I have any intention of verifying, the availability of CDs for the other languages.

Amazon and elsewhere
I am under the impression (as I implied above) that the CD versions of the Pimsleur courses available for purchase via the larger online bookstores are inventories that will be depleted and that they will not be renewed.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
aokoye wrote: .... I'm not sure where you're getting the information that Simon & Schuster isn't offering their courses in CD format. If you go to their website it's pretty clear that they're still selling CD packages. You can also still get the CDs from ...

Simon & Schuster
I just clicked on the LINK that you provided and selected "German" amongst the languages that are presently offered. The formats available are: MP3 and Software. CDs are not offered for sale for this language on the publisher's website and have not been for quite some time. If CDs are available for this language, I would assume that the prospective buyer would have to communicate with the Customer Service department. I did not verify, nor do I have any intention of verifying, the availability of CDs for the other languages.

Did you.not see the CD tab here - http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-german#cd
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 pm

aokoye wrote: Did you.not see the CD tab here - http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-german#cd

Now this is odd, Explorer is not directing me to such a tab! However, as I responded to the OP's question concerning "discounts" both honestly and as completely as I could, and as I responded in the same fashion to your assertion that Simon & Schuster continues to offer the Pimsleur programme in a CD variant, evidence of which I have not been able to verify, bearing no malice to you, I will now attend to other matters.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 pm

aokoye wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:

Simon & Schuster

Did you.not see the CD tab here - http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-german#cd

That link only shows software and MP3. There is a third tab where you can compare the two, but no tab for CD's. Maybe you have to be in the US to see it. I see CD's mentioned in the FAQ, but I don't find them for sale on the website.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:31 pm

That's odd, I wonder if it's just a not US (or perhaps North American) thing. I mean the internet explore issue is something I would chalk up to IE being a mess, but if it's not working on various other browsers in other countries it seems safe to assume that pimsleur's website isn't shipping them out of US if not North America.

Edit - a quick look at the shipping policies gave me an answer:
We do not ship physical Pimsleur products outside of the United States.
1 x

prettychloe
Languages: English(N)

Postby prettychloe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks aokoye and Speakeasy, and to the replies above..

ill try to check and follow your tips and see the results,

by the way im looking for spanish and french 1 - 5 modules.. :)

I will try to update this thread if ever i have positive results in finding a good discounts..

again thank you ...... :)
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”