Multilingual audio parallel text multilevel - Learn with Oliver

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Multilingual audio parallel text multilevel - Learn with Oliver

Postby tommus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:08 am

"Learn with Oliver" is quite an amazing site. I just discovered it and so far have done about a half hour of audio with parallel Dutch - English texts.

It supports Chinese, Danish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai and English.

You can select Very Basic, Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, Very Advanced. The audio quality is excellent (native speakers). You can do words, sentences, random short texts, writing, etc. The site has a pleasing format. You have to sign up but it is very basic and easy. It keeps track of your progress. I don't yet know how comprehensive (in terms of quantity of words, sentences, texts, etc) it is. But so far, it has been great. Even some of the texts are funny.

https://www.learnwitholiver.com
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: Multilingual audio parallel text multilevel - Learn with Oliver

Postby tommus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 am

I thought that "Learn with Oliver" was a bit too good to be free. And I was right. I just got a nice email summary of my account and my first session, etc. Very professional. But then it told me that the audio would only be free for a week. After that, a subscription is required, as follows:

"The price is 7.00 USD/month if you pay one year in advance (or 8.00 USD if you pay on a monthly basis)."

I will try it for a week. If the quality and quantity continue, I think it will be worth a subscription. However, I find it difficult to believe that they have a year's worth at this quality and quantity. We shall see.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 am

Yeah it's very much not free in terms of anything with audio but I think if I were to actually use it consistently it'd be well worth the price. I could have sworn there were already threads on here about Learn with Oliver but searching didn't find bring many results. I'd assume there's at least one thread on the old forum but searching that is a bear.

That said, Learn with Oliver is great. I've used it off and on in the past and was very impressed. As with all things, my issue is staying motivated to keep using a specific resource which is why I stopped using it (there are very few online subscription services that I will use with any regularity and I'm not using any subscription based language product at the moment). That said, from what I understand all of the recordings are from native speakers and it looks like they have a ton of vocab. If I remember correctly the sentences were, at least for German, pretty good as well.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am

Aokoye, good catch! I just conducted a G-Search of the HTLAL using "Learn with Oliver" as my criterion. The search yielded only one discussion thread. In July, 2015, Random Review commented: "... I started doing to the Antosch and Lin (now known as "learn with Oliver") SRS programming and so far have accumulated over 720 sentences in just over 2 weeks...."

Here is the LINK to the HTLAL discussion thread:
German Summer Window
http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40599&PN=4&TPN=2

Addendum: Out of curiosity, I Googled "Antosch and Lin" and the first item listed was the link to the "Learn With Oliver" website: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Antosch+and+Lin&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=fKLbWPejB8eh8wfmibKQDQ#spf=1

EDITED:
Addendum: Antosch and Lin
2 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Yes, it's a great site and IMO well worth the money for the major languages (for which they have a lot of material). Unfortunately my use of their site was ridiculously ill starred as I could never use it for more than a couple of months at a time: when I had money, i had limited internet access and vice versa. :cry:
It's something I certainly want to go back to when I return to German.
0 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”