Book for learning French from Spanish and vice versa

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Book for learning French from Spanish and vice versa

Postby aokoye » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 am

I've known that the book Learning French from Spanish and Spanish from French has been on it's way to coming out for at least a few months now but given that according to the publisher it isn't slated to come out until June I decided to wait on posting about it (mind you a quick Amazon search says March 27th, 2017). Then I saw it at Georgetown University Press' table at AAAL on Saturday and decided that now would be a good time to talk about it.

This is a very preliminary not even overview of it as I only spent a few minutes thumbing through it. I can tell you almost nothing about it but if I am able to get to their booth tomorrow I'll order it as it's 20 or 30% off at the conference. It is explicitly meant for people whose L2 is either Spanish or French and from what I can tell it takes a more analytical approach to looking at the similarities and differences of the two languages. The description on the website says it includes audio but the copy I saw didn't have a CD. I have a feeling there will eventually be mp3 files on Georgetown University Press' website which is how a few of the other books from them that I looked at were formatted. What's interesting is that it appears to be using translanguaging as a pedagogical tool in the form of a rather thin textbook.

I'll try to edit this tomorrow (later today) with more information but it looks very interesting and I'm pretty sure it's unique in terms of being a book that is teaching an L2 via another L2.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Book for learning French from Spanish and vice versa

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 pm

No problem! It turns out the publisher left the day before the conference (which is totally fair) so I'm probably going to order the book from the publisher's website (and maybe ask about if they have a discount for people who went to AAAL this year).
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:58 am

A trick I like is to search for "aprender el francés" and "apprendre l'espagnol". :)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:49 pm

arthaey wrote:A trick I like is to search for "aprender el francés" and "apprendre l'espagnol". :)

Good idea. I've been looking for learning materials for Latin and Ancient Greek in French and Spanish et voilà. Merci et gracias.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:53 am

arthaey wrote:A trick I like is to search for "aprender el francés" and "apprendre l'espagnol". :)

Well yeah - it's pretty easy to find textbooks for various popular/major/globally influential foreign languages in general. I mean I've randomly come across textbooks by multiple major German publishers for learning Mandarin. That said the audience for those books is different than the book that I linked to (and never actually bought - turns out I could have gotten it 50% off if I had gone to their booth that Monday - hindsight is 20:20).
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”