Spoken Language Services - Courses on FSI Languages Website?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Spoken Language Services - Courses on FSI Languages Website?

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Yesterday, under the discussion thread "Spoken Language Services - Ceased Operations", I advised that I had received the following Email from the owner of the business:

"Spoken Language Services ceased business as of January 1, 2017, and the website was taken down shortly after that. We are no longer accepting or processing orders. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes. All the best."

This morning, I sent Emails to ericounet and to the owner of Spoken Language Services containing a proposal that the "Spoken xxx" courses be hosted on the FSI-Language-Courses website as has recently been done for the Cortina language courses. Frankly, I see this project as a "long shot" that, even if approved, would require the contribution of many volunteers ... still ...

EDITED: typos, formatting
8 x

n_j_f
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying: French (B1), Persian (beginner), Irish (beginner), Latin (A2)

Up Next: Watch This Space

Flirting With: Turkish

On the back-burner: Russian, German, Brazilian Portuguese

Bucket List: Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Sanskrit, Modern Greek, Tamil, Singhalese, Malayalam

Re: Spoken Language Services - Courses on FSI Languages Website?

Postby n_j_f » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 am

Speakeasy wrote:Yesterday, under the discussion thread "Spoken Language Services - Ceased Operations", I advised that I had received the following Email from the owner of the business:

"Spoken Language Services ceased business as of January 1, 2017, and the website was taken down shortly after that. We are no longer accepting or processing orders. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes. All the best."

This morning, I sent Emails to ericounet and to the owner of Spoken Language Services containing a proposal that the "Spoken xxx" courses be hosted on the FSI-Language-Courses website as has recently been done for the Cortina language courses. Frankly, I see this project as a "long shot" that, even if approved, would require the contribution of many volunteers ... still ...

EDITED: typos, formatting

Great idea! I found the Spoken Russian course fantastic for getting to grips with the Russian case system and declension. Arguably, any well-constructed audio-lingual course (e.g. Modern Russian, Cortina Conversational Russian, etc. would have achieved the same effect, but it would be a shame to see these texts disappear. My understanding is that the SLS courses played a role in the development of the FSI and similar programmes (like DLI, etc.); for this fact alone, it is worth preserving for its historical value.

Thanks, Speakeasy for contacting Spoken Language Services for the update and here's hoping we get a positive response. I'll be glad to help acquire some of the courses and digitise the audio. Perhaps someone more adept could assist with converting the books into searchable PDFs (definitely NOT my forte).
0 x
: 25 / 113 Assimil French With Ease (active)
: 79 / 160 Pimsleur French I-V lessons
: 1713 / 5000 Anki French Frequency Dictionary 5000

Speakeasy
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Re: Spoken Language Services - Courses on FSI Languages Website?

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Subsequent to my initial post, I have twice requested whether or not there has been any progress on the proposition that permission be granted for the hosting of the “SLS Spoken …” course materials on the FSI-Yojik website. Alas, my Emails have gone unanswered ... I fear that this parrot is dead. Bereft of life, it rests in peace.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”