Mimic Method

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AndyD
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Mimic Method

Postby AndyD » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Has anyone else used Idahosa Ness´Mimic Method?

I´ve been using the purchased Spanish (I also purchased a reduced rate Portuguese course as I aim to learn Portuguese from scratch soon) course for 2 weeks now and have already has some breakthroughs - such as realising that with certain words I was pronouncing the Spanish ´i´ similar to the English ´i´or pronouching the spanish ´r´ like the English ´r´... These points may sound fairly obvious but I´ve just not really noticed them before as Spanish people had told me that my acent was fine (perhaps not realising that with my obsessive personality :) fine doesn´t mean good) . I´ve also had times where my mis-pronounciation just meant that I was plain not understood no matter how often I repeated. Noticing these mistakes has made me re-learn the pronounciation for many words - so maybe the course isn´t correcting anything but just good at pointing it out.

It´ll probably take another 6 weeks to finish the course and it´s hard work - but not boring which is what usually makes me quit.

I´m curious as to other people´s experience with this method.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Mimic Method

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:05 pm

-- not relevant --
Last edited by zenmonkey on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

RandomQuotes
Languages: English (native), Japanese (N1), German (Beginner)

Postby RandomQuotes » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I tried the German one, but I found it to be full of mistakes and to be missing information. On top of that, the customer service was absolutely atrocious. I emailed support asking a question regarding the mistakes and missing information and didn't receive a reply for 10 weeks. Luckily, I was able to get a refund.
0 x

AndyD
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby AndyD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Looking at the advertising the method does seem to be more focussed on the romance languages and I wonder if the German was just to try to make a complete set of the most popular languages.

The spanish material is very good but I think about 80% of the value of the course is what I learned from the base materials the first couple of days. The feedback can be quite slow (as much as 3 days but usually 1-2) and sometimes quite vague but usually helpful and positive. I´m actually enjoying the course and sticking with it - which I´ve never managed to do with any written materials or on-line material.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”