Rosetta stone

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: Rosetta stone

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 am

Cainntear wrote:
coldrainwater wrote:One is the online program seems to have a built in slowness to it since the website simply moves from one screen to the next at a snails pace (again compared to Duolingo where I could move as fast as I my hands could type). You can circumvent this partially by skipping some of the repetition, but you still have the slow screen loading.

Until I read this, I'd completely forgotten that I'd tried it again when they moving it online and marvelled at how they'd managed to make RS even worse. When did you try it out? I'd hope they'd be using a more sophisticated architecture by now so that the browser preloads the next question, but that might be a vain hope....

I made the purchase in either June or July of 2016. The web application has a polished look with little regard for speed. I also don´t expect this to change soon.
2 x

ed_phelan
White Belt
Languages: English (N) & French (A2)

Postby ed_phelan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

I have always been sceptical regarding method schools and have not heard anything positive about Rosetta Stone.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:00 pm

ed_phelan wrote:I ... have not heard anything positive about Rosetta Stone.

Well here's something positive -- revenue, profits, market share and stock prices have fallen steadily since the company went public. :D
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 pm

I think Rosetta Stone is great for people who are starting out with their first language and are nervous about speaking. You can practice all four elements on your own embarrassment free. The online tutoring sessions are highly structured with super supportive tutors that make it easier to take those first steps. It got me started in Russian and got me hooked into learning in a way other materials wouldn't have done - for that I am forever grateful. It's actually not that expensive these days. The main downside is the lack of grammar instruction, so I think the first level makes for a nice introduction before diving off into other resources.

I've found in previous discussions that there is too much built up prejudice against the product for a reasonable discussion about it's merits and shortcomings which I think is a shame.
5 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 pm

neofight78 wrote:You can practice all four elements on your own embarrassment free. ....

I've found in previous discussions that there is too much built up prejudice against the product for a reasonable discussion about it's merits and shortcomings which I think is a shame.

There are more than four elements involved in learning a language. The problem with Rosetta Stone is that the core techniques used haven't changed since the first version 20 years ago, when they were designed by someone with very little understanding of how to teach a language. They've added on various bits and bobs over the years, but they've never revised the core of the course. It's not prejudice, because it's what they do.
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Interestingly enough, libraries in my state are increasing their digital content, and they now include free access to RS via their websites. I confess that I never tried it, mainly because almost every successful language learner that gives his review of the program hates it, so I never gave it an objective attempt.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Xenops wrote:Interestingly enough, libraries in my state are increasing their digital content, and they now include free access to RS via their websites. I confess that I never tried it, mainly because almost every successful language learner that gives his review of the program hates it, so I never gave it an objective attempt.

Between Assimil and FIA, you've got everything you need. About halfway into Assimil -- if not sooner -- you'll be ready to jump into easy reader novels, newspaper articles, and "journal en francais facile".
2 x

datsunking1
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (B2/C1) German (B1) Portuguese (A2) French (Beginner) Russian (Beginner) Italian (Beginner)

Postby datsunking1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Personally, I'm not a fan at all.

You don't know what you're saying, there's no grammar.

I was very impressed with Rocket Languages, it's very good for idioms and every day conversation, paired with Assimil I think is a fantastic resource. I'm not knocking Rosetta Stone either, it simply didn't work well for me.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Jean-Luc wrote:Have you tried this language learning course? Based on a listening only method, I am a little disappointed with the free trial.

Most of us here have tried a free trial, and most of us hate it.
Rosetta Stone (RS for short) is generally considered pretty poor teaching, and extremely poor value.

Yep. The problem is not just the price. There are pirated copies floating around. It is just not worth wasting the harddrive space.

Jokes (truthful though) aside: a few forum members have had positive experience with RS in languages with very few resources. This pack of flashcards with good quality audio can be valuable to beginners, when they have little else to draw from (but of course they need to get their grammar elsewhere). From what I've read from these users, they rather liked the tutoring sessions, except their rigidity. They were so closely tied to a strict schedule based on the main content, that there was very little or no space for real practice of the matter and questions.

I tried the trial, read about it, and really didn't like it. The more that all those "success stories" presented are very fishy. None of the people in the videos actually speaks the languages on camera. None of the "content users" mentions any real level or exam, that would prove their claims. It is very different to lie "I learnt to talk in most everyday situations" and "I passed an official B1 exam" as the latter one could be verified, therefore I don't trust the vague claims.

So. If you are learning a language with few resources and don't mind the content being totally cdifferent from the target culture, go for it. It may be a helpful tool. If you are learning a langauge with a choice of resources, avoid this waste of money, buy standard good quality courses and good quality supplements. 600 dollars, that is actually a price of not too luxurious holiday in many target langauge countries, that is just an example of what sort of money we are discussing.
5 x

ed_phelan
White Belt
Languages: English (N) & French (A2)

Postby ed_phelan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Cainntear wrote:
ed_phelan wrote:I ... have not heard anything positive about Rosetta Stone.

Well here's something positive -- revenue, profits, market share and stock prices have fallen steadily since the company went public. :D

hahaha! Thank you for brightening up my day, my friend! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”