Questions about "Say Something In Welsh" and others

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Questions about "Say Something In Welsh" and others

Postby Xmmm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 pm

1. I've read SSIW is "similar to Glossika". Is that really true? I listened to the first SSIW lesson and you learn "I want" + "to learn" + "to study" and start mixing and matching the pieces based on English prompts. Whereas in Glossika, you are recalling entire canned sentences. So at first glance SSIW looks better, but maybe by the end of both courses the results are the same? Any thoughts?

2. Upon completion of SSIW, what sort of level would one be at? A2? B1?

3. I think I understand why Welsh, Cornish and Manx, but why Spanish, Dutch, and Latin? I'm guessing they are just the languages the founders happen to know?

4. I was under the impression that Latin (if not Manx as well) was a dead language. If one uses SSIL, who does one speak to?
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Questions about "Say Something In Welsh" and others

Postby Cainntear » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 am

Xmmm wrote:1. I've read SSIW is "similar to Glossika". Is that really true? I listened to the first SSIW lesson and you learn "I want" + "to learn" + "to study" and start mixing and matching the pieces based on English prompts. Whereas in Glossika, you are recalling entire canned sentences. So at first glance SSIW looks better, but maybe by the end of both courses the results are the same? Any thoughts?

I'm afraid I haven't tried the new course -- just the old one -- and I've never tried Glossika. However, I'm surprised by the comparison, because Glossika (as I understand it) has a lot of written material, and a lot of presentation of target language, whereas SSiW focuses primarily on the spoken mode, and is built on English-language prompts for translation to the target language.

3. I think I understand why Welsh, Cornish and Manx, but why Spanish, Dutch, and Latin? I'm guessing they are just the languages the founders happen to know?

That and the fact that they're accepting material from their "community". Spanish was one of the founders' other languages. I think Dutch might have been a volunteer one... not sure.
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I've tried out three "challenges" in SSiW. I would say it's awesome -- much better than Glossika. It seems better to me than FSI Spanish, too. In fact, it seems like the perfect replacement for Italki at the beginner + intermediate levels. Instead of having to shop around for a qualified tutor, you just get drilled efficiently on core elements of the language and learning vocabulary is left as an exercise for the student.

Of course, "Say Something In" is clearly being run as a hobby and not a business. There's no time for them to finish Spanish or even the new Welsh levels let alone add other popular languages, but there is time to work on the Polish->Welsh and Arabic->Welsh language bot. And there's time to think about adding Asturian to the Manx-Cornish-Latin language line-up.

So I guess there will never be a SSiRussian or SSiTurkish. I'm tempted to sit and copy out the transcripts from the Welsh course and try to find a Russian freelancer to record them ...
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Xmmm wrote: I was under the impression that Latin (if not Manx as well) was a dead language. If one uses SSIL, who does one speak to?

Manx is not a dead language! :o :( :x
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Montmorency is a fan of SSIW which he has used for Welsh. I suggest searching his posts and log.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:03 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:Manx is not a dead language! :o :( :x

It depends on how technical you want to get, I guess. But, Xmmmm does have a point. Latin is dead (though not in the same way Manx was), as it survived with descendants.
2 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 am

Dw i’n mwynhau "Say Something in Welsh" achos dwi’n meddwl bo hi’n ddiddorol, ond well i mi stopio dysgu Cymraug rwan. ;)
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”