Spanish Courses/Books w/ ALL Translations?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Spanish Courses/Books w/ ALL Translations?

Postby jsega » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm wondering if there are any Spanish course books, grammar workbooks, etc. that include the translation for literally everything (even when it isn't a translation exercise). If you've come across this let me know!

Thanks
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Speakeasy

Re: Spanish Courses/Books w/ ALL Translations?

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Jsega, when you say "Spanish course books ... that include the translation for literally everything" do you mean that you are looking for English-language course books -- for which the explanatory notes relative to the dialogues, the notes on grammar, any additional instructions to the student, et cetera, all of which are written in English -- include word-for-word translations of said notes, instructions, et cetera in Spanish; that is, a truly bilingual course book for absolutely all of the printed text ... hence, "literally everything"? If not, could you please elaborate?
1 x

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Jsega, when you say "Spanish course books ... that include the translation for literally everything" do you mean that you are looking for English-language course books -- for which the explanatory notes relative to the dialogues, the notes on grammar, any additional instructions to the student, et cetera, all of which are written in English -- include word-for-word translations of said notes, instructions, et cetera in Spanish; that is, a truly bilingual course book for absolutely all of the printed text ... hence, "literally everything"? If not, could you please elaborate?

Sorry for being unclear, I prefer all explanatory notes and instructions solely in English.

I'm referring to all the exercises, short stories, dialogues, etc. all having english translation, regardless of the specific goal of that section.
1 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:49 am

Easy Spanish Step by Step (followed by Advanced Spanish Step by Step probably has the most translations I've seen so far, but still falls far from the mark.

I totally agree with what you're looking for. "Here's the dialog for you to learn but we won't bother to tell you what it says" just doesn't always get it.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:00 am

Great thread. I hope we get good answers and that the answers transfers to other languages as well.

I started my cramming-thousands-of-words-in-the-first-few-months thing precisely because my textbooks didn't give enough translations, and I couldn't understand the example sentences and thus the grammar explanations :shock: If a beginner's textbook doesn't give translations, then I might as well begin with native material?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”