Lingvist German now in beta

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Lingvist German now in beta

Postby aokoye » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Soclydeza wrote:I've been waiting for this. I messed around with it for a bit, it'll be a nice addition to downtime vocab learning. I remember they used to have a reading/listening section for the French version when I used to use it but I can't find it for German, was ist los?

The lack of reading and listening is likely because it's still very new (it came out of private beta four days ago). I'm assuming they'll add it with time.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:58 pm

I've not tried Lingvist before so just went and signed up. It was testing on both the word and the gender and each word had audio. I really liked it.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 am

Soclydeza wrote:I've been waiting for this. I messed around with it for a bit, it'll be a nice addition to downtime vocab learning. I remember they used to have a reading/listening section for the French version when I used to use it but I can't find it for German, was ist los?

I read somewhere that they made a change to the French course which made it so one couldn't jump right into reading/listening. You need to have gotten through a certain amount of vocab before it's unlocked.

It may just be the case that they haven't added it yet for other languages, I'm not sure.
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm

I reached the end of the memorise section, apparently there are only 2976 words. Did enjoy it. I dont do enough L2 to L1. Most of the vocab was useful intermediate stuff, although too many cognates, especially as I'm not convinced they were particularly common. (Mission, sponsor, organisator, zentral, etc). Also a few too many "grammatical" words (not sure of proper name: hierzu, somit etc) that sort of depend on sentence structure.

I can't work out how to change language.

Edit: now I think about it, no way have I done that many. Maybe a few hundred. Have to try again tomorrow and see if it offers any new words.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:43 pm

I like LingVist, and I'm glad to see more languages being added! There are some odd quirks with the mobile application, though. For Spanish it tells me I've learned 2000 words, rather than the couple dozen that I've actually learned. The reading and listening sections aren't on the app yet, either - hopefully they'll get those up soon!

I just added German, too, though I've hardly studied the language and I'm not sure how useful LingVist is for total beginners.
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 pm

I was pretty excited about lingvist when it first came out in French. I learned the 4976 words with flash cards, worked my way up to 40 page chunks of French novels and 3 minute chunks of French radio interviews. The only problem was that French wasn't a language I really wanted to learn or maintain. I did the French only because I thought lingvist was cool. I kept waiting for something other than French to be rolled out.

Now ... two years (!!!) later ... a couple more languages have come out with flashcards only, and the read/listen sections for them are going to be released ... whenever.

I don't know about these guys. If you go to their facebook page, they go to a lot of parties, receive a lot of awards, and shake hands with the president of Estonia every three weeks. But the app hasn't changed much in two years (and to the extent that it has changed, seems to be in the way of getting worse).

So in theory I would say lingvist is potentially a one stop shop to catapult you from zero to the intermediate level for receptive skills. But in practice the execution is not happening. Unless they have one hundred years worth of start up capital they will never even get FIGS + CJK + Russian rolled out.
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I think ive worked out the mystery of the discrepancy between claimed and actual vocabulary learnt. The first hundred or so words presented are used to estimate your preexisting vocabulary, and then you are moved forward through the course by that amount, where the actual learning begins. What you then learn is added to your estimated vocabulary.

This seems a bit of a waste of a resource, as the skipped words will probably not be identical to the learner's actual vocab, and you never get the opportunity to view them.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:30 am

sjintje wrote:I think ive worked out the mystery of the discrepancy between claimed and actual vocabulary learnt. The first hundred or so words presented are used to estimate your preexisting vocabulary, and then you are moved forward through the course by that amount, where the actual learning begins. What you then learn is added to your estimated vocabulary.

That makes sense. I just saw my Spanish numbers readjust to words I've actually studied. I should have paid attention to the transition point, though it was definitely under 250 flashcards.
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:54 am

They said they'll be adding 5,000 words for the final course, but it might take a couple months for the rest of the sentences to appear. They've also added some more grammar notes.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”