Recently published book about language learning (in German)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Recently published book about language learning (in German)

Postby neumanc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 am

Dear fellow language learners,

I am a long-time daily reader of HTLAL and this new forum. I have already learned a lot from you about different leanguage learning strategies, and I have put much of it in practice for my current French studies. I myself am a German native speaker. Up to now, I did not really know what to contribute that not anybody of you did already know better than me. However, I have something relevant to share now:

I would like you to know about a recently published book about language learning which I think is an excellent resource and could give us much to discuss for months to come. I have already read anything about language learning on the market. But this book is different. It is written by a scholar who seems to be an avid language learner himself and who researches and teaches at university level about language learning. The book has several hundred pages and presents in a very systematic way a complete strategy of language learning for beginners and advanced alike with an emphesis on self-learning. The only downside for some of you is that it is written in German.

The book I am speaking of is this one: "Fremdsprachenlernen mit System" by Hans Krings, ISBN 978-3-87548-783-1. As paperback it weighs a kilogram, so it might be better to consider the kindle version which costs around 25 dollars. If you don't speak German yet, this book may be a reason to start learning it :D

Needles to say, I am not the author himself, I do not know him, and I don't get paid or given any reward for this book recommandation.

Enjoy!
9 x

michal
Languages: Czech (N), fluent English, competent German, French, strong intermediate Spanish, Russian, Hebrew, Latvian, bits and pieces of Portuguese, Polish, Hungarian, Greek; learning Mandarin

Re: Recently published book about language learning (in German)

Postby michal » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for the tip, the book seems quite interesting. For anyone else considering getting it: it is published by Buske, a trustworthy German publisher of language textbooks and linguistics books. A longer description with a sample of the book including the table of contents is available at:
https://buske.de/studienbucher/fremdspr ... ystem.html
4 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Postby Longinus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 am

I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome! I'm only about 200 pages in, just now getting to the meat of the book. You could skip around and just read sections you're interested in, but I'm reading it all since for me it's also language practice.

The title is not really a good description. The author is not proposing a unitary system, but rather the book is just a very thorough guide to all aspects of language learning, targeted to the self learner.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 am

This is definitely going on my "to read" list. Thanks for letting us know about this book.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Buske had a table at last years' gathering in Berlin, and it seems they have specialized in books about topics which are too exotic for most other publishing houses. I hope they will be represented in Bratislava too.
0 x

Aeryn
Languages: Native: Norwegian
Speaks: English
Studies: German (intermediate), Hungarian (beginner)

Postby Aeryn » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks for the tip. I have ordered the book, and am looking forward to reading it. I already own a different book published by Buske (Lehrbuch der ungarischen Sprache by J. Graetz) and it is very good and well made. One of my favorite language books.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”