If you could build any app for language learning, what would you build?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: If you could build any app for language learning, what would you build?

Postby crush » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Cavesa wrote:The "simplest" app of this kind that would still upgrade my study planning (nd more importantly actually following the plans) considerably:

1.I tell the app: I want to get through "bookname" with 26 "chapters" (or another one unit, such as page, minute, not two units) in 15 days.
2.App tells me ok, that is 1,7 chapter per day. And it adds "bookname" to the list of goals. To keep it simple, no need to combine it with stuff without deadlines (I could simply invent a "deadline" for those and place it in more distant future).
3.I would enter my daily progress.
4.App would recalculate my new daily target, according to how much or how little I've done.
5.Saving a list of past achievements would still be nice.

THanks! Even if you choose to do something totally different, it is nice to hear my idea is not completely stupid. And therefore there is a chance someone will make such an app. :-)

You'd have a task (read a book, watch a movie, watch a tv show, study your textbook) split into units (pages, chapters, minutes, lessons, etc.) and a time limit you want to finish the task in? The current project i'm working on for my Android course is very similar to this, i could probably put something like this together :)
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:19 pm

crush wrote:
Cavesa wrote:The "simplest" app of this kind that would still upgrade my study planning (nd more importantly actually following the plans) considerably:

1.I tell the app: I want to get through "bookname" with 26 "chapters" (or another one unit, such as page, minute, not two units) in 15 days.
2.App tells me ok, that is 1,7 chapter per day. And it adds "bookname" to the list of goals. To keep it simple, no need to combine it with stuff without deadlines (I could simply invent a "deadline" for those and place it in more distant future).
3.I would enter my daily progress.
4.App would recalculate my new daily target, according to how much or how little I've done.
5.Saving a list of past achievements would still be nice.

THanks! Even if you choose to do something totally different, it is nice to hear my idea is not completely stupid. And therefore there is a chance someone will make such an app. :-)

You'd have a task (read a book, watch a movie, watch a tv show, study your textbook) split into units (pages, chapters, minutes, lessons, etc.) and a time limit you want to finish the task in? The current project i'm working on for my Android course is very similar to this, i could probably put something like this together :)

That sounds great!

But the most important part is the counting. I want the app to adapt my plan, according to my progress. Noone has problem to divide a number of chapters by a number of days. But it's the dynamics, that makes it difficult. The recounting, planning whether I can take a day off or not, or how much should I intensify my work.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Cavesa wrote:But the most important part is the counting. I want the app to adapt my plan, according to my progress. Noone has problem to divide a number of chapters by a number of days. But it's the dynamics, that makes it difficult. The recounting, planning whether I can take a day off or not, or how much should I intensify my work.

That shouldn't be an issue, though i'm a bit unsure how you'd measure how much of a chapter you read if you needed to read 1.7 chapters. Would you give the number of pages you read + the number of pages in that chapter (a bit more cumbersome) or just "guesstimate"? Perhaps we could add a few other stats, for example to see how taking a day (or two) off would affect your required daily targets.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:51 pm

I could use a tool that tracked every content-heavy minute of a youtube-video/a podcast/streamed radio/audiobook+every word/minute I wrote in any language (including posts like this), auto-detect the languages and save everything into different columns in a spreadsheet which could then generate some pretty diagrammes/graphs.

What about auto-generated Anki cards from an FSI-course (including everything from the drills), plus added cards in case the drills don't cover all of the possible options?

Cainntear's software looks interesting:
"I wrote a simple program to teach myself Corsican through English-to-Corsican translation"

"The program was really straightforward. It uses a simple algorithm to track the difficulty of prompts and to introduce new elements to be learned. In a text window, it throws question after question at me, and I type in the answers and get immediate feedback. The more I used it, the quicker I got."
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:50 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Cainntear's software looks interesting:

Parts of that may be revived in my masters portfolio project.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:58 am

Cainntear wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:Cainntear's software looks interesting:

Parts of that may be revived in my masters portfolio project.

Actually, I was interested in that too and looked at doing something with the substudy or subs2srs tool and strip out the sub-titles and create a web-page and DB that would randomly select a sentence in French and make me translate and then match the appropriate English sub-title. I figured it would be the quickest way of grabbing a lot of pre-translated sentences. This took me down a path of looking at EMK's substudy program, then off on yet another tangent with gradint and pimsluer like prompt generation.

Lot's of wormholes to fall into here. :)
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Like many others I've played with the idea of creating Anki cards from subtitles. I ended up creating decks for Spirited Away and Die Welle while failing to find good subtitles for another 60 movies/TV series. It killed my interest and I haven't tried since.

At the same time Audible claims to have more than 200 000 audio books. In theory, you can sync them with the e-book and deliver a translation with Google Translate. The result would look a lot like Subs2srs (without image) but avoid the algorithm in Anki and just deliver the story in order so you can enjoy the progress. I saw someone doing this with Alice in Wonderland and uploading decks (German, Spanish, Italian and French) to AnkiWeb but unfortunately with text-to-speech.

The three main points should be:

1) Divide it into sentences so that you don't have to bother with start/pause and finding yourself in the text.

2) Automatically give a translation without having to click on separate words.

3) Deliver the story in order and not like unsorted flashcards.

Say you pick a book series such as Harry Potter. That's 115 hours for the German edition read by Rufus Beck.

2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:33 pm

rdearman wrote:I figured it would be the quickest way of grabbing a lot of pre-translated sentences.

What doesn't Tatoeba do that makes it unsuitable? Or is just about getting the right volume or material?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Cainntear wrote:
rdearman wrote:I figured it would be the quickest way of grabbing a lot of pre-translated sentences.

What doesn't Tatoeba do that makes it unsuitable? Or is just about getting the right volume or material?

Either would work. But it would only take 5-6 DVD's to generate thousands of sentences. :)
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 pm

crush wrote:
Cavesa wrote:But the most important part is the counting. I want the app to adapt my plan, according to my progress. Noone has problem to divide a number of chapters by a number of days. But it's the dynamics, that makes it difficult. The recounting, planning whether I can take a day off or not, or how much should I intensify my work.

That shouldn't be an issue, though i'm a bit unsure how you'd measure how much of a chapter you read if you needed to read 1.7 chapters. Would you give the number of pages you read + the number of pages in that chapter (a bit more cumbersome) or just "guesstimate"? Perhaps we could add a few other stats, for example to see how taking a day (or two) off would affect your required daily targets.

I wouldn't put in info like "I read precisely 1.6 chapters", there is no way to measure 0.1 chapter meaningfully. Half chapters yes. (Ok, than there are the hyperlong chapters you could divide in a hundred pieces :-D )

I would see "hey, 1.7, that means I need to push myself more than 1 and a half chapter". I would do and put in 2 chapters. Than I'll get a new number, like 1.2 and would know 1 and a half chapter are ok from now on.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”