Assimil German 2011 and 2014

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ibrahimovic
White Belt
Languages: Malay (N) English (C1) German (A2)

Re: Assimil German 2011 and 2014

Postby ibrahimovic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 am

Speakeasy wrote:Identifying the different generations of the Assimil courses represents quite a challenge. The publisher has adopted the practice of issuing "new editions" along with new ISBN's for changes in recording media (records, cassettes, CDs, mp3), packaging, title, et cetera. I am under the impression that the "generations" go backwards in time as follows:

The Current Generation
Of the two that you mentioned, the second one, ISBN-13: 978-2700505535, published on November 6, 2014, was authored by Maria Roemer. I have several "editions" of this book. My earliest copy dates from 2004, but it might have appeared earlier. The dialogues are titled:
1. Viel Gluck!
2. Im Hotel
3. Das Foto
et cetera

The Previous Generation
Of those that you mentioned, the first one, ISBN-13: 978-2700505276, published on May 17, 2011, was authored by Hilde Schneider. I have several "editions" of this book. My earliest copy dates from 1984, but it might have appeared earlier. The dialogues are titled:
1. Im Café
2. Im Restaurant
3. Im Park
et cetera

An Earlier Generation
I suspect that the generation preceding those noted above was published under the name of A. Chérel . It was published in several editions during the period circa 1949 through the early 1970's. The dialogues are titled:
1. Erste Lektion
2. Zweite Lektion
3. Dritte Lektion
et cetera

It is quite possible that I am missing a generation. As many other forum members have reported, when comparing the different generations, one discerns a definite trend towards simplification (dumbing down) of the dialogues.

EDITED:
text, typos
"and etcetera" replaced by "et cetera" at the request of Josquin

By any chance you have the book by Pfeiffer? What is the difference between it and Maria Hoemer?

I had both by Hilde Schneider and Maria Goemer. In Hilde's, the story is longer, better with great voice acting compared to Maria. But it definitely riddle with poor translation and little explanation.

I almost finish with Hildes but I think I just go through quickly for the newer edition if it is any better
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 am

Pfeiffer is the English translation of Roemer - the course is no different save a few English specific explanations.

As to the differences between Scheider and Roemer, I suppose it takes all sorts - but I don't agree with you on the voice acting in Schneider being better - I find it to be distinctly worse. To me the Roemer course is a pleasure to listen to, with engaging actors and far more modern German voices.

But as they say, horses for courses...
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:12 pm

English Editions (First-Level Courses)
Putting aside the changes to the titles of the Assimil German series, the pairing of the French and English editions is as follows:
Current Generation -- Maria Roemer -- Kerstin Pfeiffer
Previous Generation -- Hilde Schneider -- A. Stettler
Earlier Generation -- A. Chérel -- not indicated by the publisher

English Editions (Second-Level Courses)
There are numerous discussion threads on the Internet and on the HTLAL suggesting that Assimil published a English-based version of their second-level German course entitled “Using German” circa 1991. Although Amazon lists two editions of this work, along with ISBN’s, a discussion thread on the HTLAL in July, 2010, contains the following clarifications:
Elexi: “I am probably wrong but I think it never came out - It doesn't appear in the library catalogue of either the Bibliothèque nationale de France, the British Library or the Library of Congress which theoretically should between them have every book published in France, England and the US.”
t123: “It seems they started it but it was never completed, see the thread here for the petition for them to finish it …”
Andy E: “Well, I got a reply back (from Assimil): Hello, Unfortunately our method "Using German" doesn't exist : a few years ago, we decided to edit it, that's why an ISBN number was created, but it could'nt be finished. Presently, there are not enough requests from readers in order to create a new one. Best regards."

Horses for Courses
I like all three editions of the Assimil German courses. As to the German voices being “more modern” in the latest version, as I will be turning 70 in a few months, I will refrain from making further comments.

EDITED:
Formatting
Text (Current Generation, Previous Generation, Earlier Generation)
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Prospective happy birthday! :D

To be fair to all, by 'more modern' I mean the voices in the Roemer course sound like those I hear among Germans in my daily life (admittedly in London - but the part of London where Germans live) and in the local German Saturday school where my son goes. But I would agree - all three Assimil courses are good, I just don't personally get on with the Schneider one.
1 x

ibrahimovic
White Belt
Languages: Malay (N) English (C1) German (A2)

Postby ibrahimovic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Elexi wrote:Prospective happy birthday! :D

To be fair to all, by 'more modern' I mean the voices in the Roemer course sound like those I hear among Germans in my daily life (admittedly in London - but the part of London where Germans live) and in the local German Saturday school where my son goes. But I would agree - all three Assimil courses are good, I just don't personally get on with the Schneider one.

That's good to hear that it is more similar. It sounded less 'energetic' in my ears compared to Schneider but then again, I never heard a real life person talking in front me

To be honest, you are one of the rare comments that said the new one is better than the old one. Almost everyone in the Internet have a different opinion than you. Maybe it is just echo-ing.

Nevertheless, I'm excited to start the new Assimil course next month and hopefully I'll be able to finish it before Christmas comes

@Speakeasy I didn't know a 70 year old couple use the Internet. I hope I'll be as enthusiastic as you in learning when I hit 70!
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:29 pm

I am normally a 'the old courses were better' kind of person. In my view not for the Roemer German compared to the Schneider. I would still say that German Without Toil trumps them both, but it does make a substantial jump at about lesson 55. I would also go out on a limb and say I got more out of New French With Ease than French without Toil (but I still loved both of them).

However, there is perhaps a discussion of 'old course fetishism' to be had - but not now :D
2 x

YGNB
Languages: English (N) German (A2) Spanish (Beginner)

Postby YGNB » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:23 am

Would anyone happen to have the mp3s for the 1987 Schneider Course?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:21 pm

YGNB, I have sent you a Private Message.
0 x

YGNB
Languages: English (N) German (A2) Spanish (Beginner)

Postby YGNB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi Speakeasy - thanks for your PM. I don't seem to be able to respond via private message, can you PM me your email address?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm

YGNB wrote:Hi Speakeasy - thanks for your PM. I don't seem to be able to respond via private message, can you PM me your email address?

Just a note from the moderators: To reduce spam, PMs are disabled until you've had three posts approved by the moderators. This cuts down on the number of designer handbag advertisements on forum. ;) Our apologies for the inconvenience.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”