Assimil workbooks for false beginners

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Assimil workbooks for false beginners

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:24 pm

I looked inside and wasn't impressed. Yes, they look quite good but so do many others. Sure, they could be awesome, once Assimil makes them for the less popular languages. But when it comes to the usual ones, I think there are many products with much better price/value ratio on the market.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:26 pm

arthaey wrote:
aokoye wrote:
arthaey wrote:
aokoye wrote:I think Powells bookstore has them

:drive-by salivating over Powell's: ;)

You're in Seattle - you could even literally drive by and salivate ;) (or drive, park, and spend five hours there)

If you think I don't do that from time to time, you would be mistaken. ;) My brother-in-law lives in Portland now… and sometimes I even stop by to see him while visiting Powell's. :P

Oh I totally expected that you did. You live close enough that not doing so would be foolish :lol:
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 pm

There's an error in the first exercise in the book which made me a bit sceptical. I then (unrelated) stumbled upon reviews for Assimil: Chinese with Ease which said that their book were full of errors. So I contacted Assimil about possible digital/online material.

Five days later they replied and asked which book since apparently "German False Beginners" wasn't specific enough. When I made them aware of the error and asked if there was any page with corrections online, their reply was "We transmit your message to our editorial department". I'm guessing it was a "no". Hopefully it's a single mistake but who knows.

6 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”