Berlitz Course Books

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Berlitz Course Books

Postby aokoye » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Specifically I'm wondering about the textbooks that appear to have been produced in the 90s for their in person classes. Does anyone have experience with these books? I've seen the Dutch, German, French, and Spanish books from time to time at Powells and broke down and bought the Dutch 1-4 book when I was there on Tuesday. For clarification, I am talking specifically about the books that look like this:

The book above was published in 1997 and outside of the copyright page is entirely in Dutch. It is also clear that it was designed with classroom use in mind as it states on the copyright page "For use exclusively in connection with Berlitz classroom instruction." Despite this it has all of the answers in the back of the book. I don't have the audio for the book. I did some searching both on this forum and the old one and I couldn't find anything that talked about these specific books. Lots of info on the newer books and some on the Think and Talk, Self Teacher, and Step-by-Step, but I couldn't find anything about the books designed for the in person classes.

From what I can tell it's based off of the natural or direct method and throws you pretty. Here are some link to some of the pages in the first and second chapters - here, here, here, and here. According to the current Berlitz levels it takes you to A2 (at least in reading). From what I've seen of the books in the other languages they have a similar look and feel.

Does anyone have any experience with these books?
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”