Twitter instant translation

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Twitter instant translation

Postby tommus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:26 pm

I read a lot of Twitter tweets in my target language for a couple of reasons. They often contain very useful links to material I find interesting. It is, of course, dependent on following people on Twitter who you find interesting. The second reason is because of the colloquial language that is often used. I find the tweets to be more challenging to understand, partly due to the conversational style but also because of the size limit which often condenses the sentences and the words. I think the tweets provide a very good L2 learning environment.

The normal double-click to get a pop-up translation doesn't work because that just opens a new window with the tweet. But what I somehow failed to note was that there is a translation link available. I overlooked it because it starts with just a tiny world globe in the upper right-hand corner. But when you put the cursor inside the tweet, the words "view translation" appear beside the globe. By clicking there, you get a pop-up Bing translation. For Dutch -> English, the translation seems to be quite good.

Most members here at LLorg probably already know this. But somehow, I missed it. So maybe this will help others who are as unobservant as I am.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”