Do You Like Quizlet?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Re: Do You Like Quizlet?

Postby stelingo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 pm

I love Quizlet. I only discovered it last year, up till then I was of the old school, using paper flashcards. Now I use Quizlet for all my vocab learning.

On a sidenote I had problems yesterday when creating a Japanese set with the audio. The audio wouldn't play for about half the terms I created. Has anybody else had this problem?
0 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:19 am

stelingo wrote:On a sidenote I had problems yesterday when creating a Japanese set with the audio. The audio wouldn't play for about half the terms I created. Has anybody else had this problem?

Your question being outside the scope of this thread, I started a new thread for you here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4148
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 am

ロータス wrote:Flashcards Deluxe. Audio + SRS included. Audio same as Quizlet, I think. Have to pay like 2 dollars but there is a free app to check it out. Also FD gets decks from Quizlet so easy to import from your teacher's set.

If I really wanted to learn words on Quizlet and not just being able to recognize them, this is the order I would go in: Flashcards (speed through all cards, get used to the words), Speller (star a few words at a time and build up into you started the whole set. practice spelling the words and getting used to the sounds), Learn (back to staring or try whole set. learn definitions, don't spell English definitions) then Test (KR <-> ENG. Dont stop until u get 100%).

Thanks, this is quite helpful! I'll check out Flashcards Deluxe, but I think your advice on using Quizlet (flashcards -> speller -> learn -> test) is already a great help :) Especially the Speller, I think that'll more or less do for me what the immediate quizzing in Memrise does.
0 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:52 pm

smallwhite wrote:
stelingo wrote:On a sidenote I had problems yesterday when creating a Japanese set with the audio. The audio wouldn't play for about half the terms I created. Has anybody else had this problem?

Your question being outside the scope of this thread, I started a new thread for you here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4148

OK, thanks
0 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Smallwhite asked me to say more about how I like the pro membership at Quizlet from another thread, out of laziness I'm just going to quote my reply about Quizlet here. Actually, it's pretty much all I have to say about it at the moment:

"Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using Memrise and Quizlet myself, though I'm favoring Quizlet now and just using Memrise for one deck that I made for my Earworms audio course.

I've dabbled in most of the popular flashcard programs out there and I've recently ended up BACK at Quizlet (was one of the first ones that I came in contact with a long time ago). I decided to try out a pro membership for the Long-term Learning SRS that they promoted. I'm also testing their beta Learning Assistant feature on iOS (actually use an Android phone but I have an iPad) and I really love that in combination with the SRS they have now and all the other features. Their TTS seems to be really above average too which has made me more comfortable with not using a lot of extra time to input audio into flashcards (which I got burned out doing with Anki).

Creating a set on Quizlet, initially easing it into my memory with Learning Assistant, and then using the SRS on there feels really good in combination with their other features. They seem to be implementing all the most popular key features of other popular SRS. Not to mention they have the most premade sets. If they keep it up, Quizlet will definitely be the best pre-packaged flashcard service, I already think it is (though Learning Assistant is still in beta so maybe not yet).

......sorry I've become a Quizlet fanboy in the past few months :lol:''

Link to my original post: viewtopic.php?p=60717

I'm definitely interested to see how they continue to improve their Learning Assistant feature as it is still in beta, though as I said I'm loving it so far. The Longterm Learning SRS seems to be working fine.
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm

ロータス wrote:
jsega wrote:Smallwhite asked me to say more about how I like the pro membership at Quizlet from another thread, out of laziness I'm just going to quote my reply about Quizlet here. Actually, it's pretty much all I have to say about it at the moment:

"Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using Memrise and Quizlet myself, though I'm favoring Quizlet now and just using Memrise for one deck that I made for my Earworms audio course.

I've dabbled in most of the popular flashcard programs out there and I've recently ended up BACK at Quizlet (was one of the first ones that I came in contact with a long time ago). I decided to try out a pro membership for the Long-term Learning SRS that they promoted. I'm also testing their beta Learning Assistant feature on iOS (actually use an Android phone but I have an iPad) and I really love that in combination with the SRS they have now and all the other features. Their TTS seems to be really above average too which has made me more comfortable with not using a lot of extra time to input audio into flashcards (which I got burned out doing with Anki).

Creating a set on Quizlet, initially easing it into my memory with Learning Assistant, and then using the SRS on there feels really good in combination with their other features. They seem to be implementing all the most popular key features of other popular SRS. Not to mention they have the most premade sets. If they keep it up, Quizlet will definitely be the best pre-packaged flashcard service, I already think it is (though Learning Assistant is still in beta so maybe not yet).

......sorry I've become a Quizlet fanboy in the past few months :lol:''

Link to my original post: viewtopic.php?p=60717

I'm definitely interested to see how they continue to improve their Learning Assistant feature as it is still in beta, though as I said I'm loving it so far. The Longterm Learning SRS seems to be working fine.

Can you edit the settings of SRS? Suspend cards? Can you review ahead or change the amount of cards you study that day? Can you set a limit on how many reviews you see a day?

I believe it's 10 new cards a day, with the option of always studying ahead (I think it does 20 reviews a clip when you choose to study ahead). I don't think you can lower the reviews, though it seems to be set reasonably low to me, again, always with the option to study ahead.

You cannot edit the SRS settings. I don't believe you can suspend cards, though the Long-term learning is based on your folder, which contains any number of sets of cards (a deck of decks). So you could always keep a set outside of your folder and manually add the card you would want to suspend, then remove it from its current set.

There are plenty of drawbacks but also positives with this set/folder system. You don't have the card type flexibility/creation of Anki, but it's very easy to add and remove sets. After a lot of time using Anki, I've come to learn I prefer simplicity in my review program.

I think for those who are going to stick to mainly vanilla card creation (like myself), they will more than likely enjoy Quizlet. Translation, some picture cards (quizlet allows you to search its database for pics when creating card or upload your own), etc.

***As far as I know you can't upload audio files, only record yourself. Hopefully someone else can reaffirm this. This may be a deal breaker for some. Personally, I find their TTS to be above average and good enough for me. If I want to practice some specific native audio I'll probably use Anki just for that.

Basically, those who prefer more complex card creation, Anki is of course king.

I personally burned out on Anki. As I said, I've come to prefer this ready-made system so I can just focus on reviewing the material I'm currently working through and not worrying about making the "best" card or having the "perfect" settings. I can be a perfectionist at times so Anki became a distraction for me. And although I don't consider myself a visually focused person, similar to Smallwhite I surprisingly came to detest the bland UI of Anki.

All that being said, I actually find Quizlet to now be more flexible as a one-stop shop of study. It has a very nice variety of ways to work through your material. Even if someone is a wordlist person rather than a SRS flashcard type, I feel they might quite enjoy using Quizlet if they gave it a chance, especially with its built in TTS.

So its flexibility is not in its settings or card types but rather in its variety of possible study formats in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply, it somehow motivated me to discuss more than I planned to :lol:
Last edited by jsega on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:02 pm

ロータス wrote:
jsega wrote:
Thanks for the reply, it somehow motivated me to discuss more than I planned to :lol:

Thank YOU for the reply. I also burnout when ever I try Anki and right now using Quizlet with a small amount Anki on the side. I don't think Quizlet Pro is for me(need my colors and settings xD) but it does sound nice. I'm also cheap so I'll stick to whats free lol

Yea, I think if I didn't like the combination of Learning Assistant (feature in beta on iOS only right now) and their very straightforward SRS so much for my study routine, I wouldn't pay for it.

If one likes what Quizlet Pro offers, you can get pretty much the same thing by using a combination of free resources anyways (Quizlet, Memrise, Anki, etc.).

For me it's just the convenience of having everything I personally want all in one place. This way I have less shuffling around so I can keep my focus on studying.

If Quizlet isn't the center hub for most of your study material/targeted study routine, as it has become for me, I'm sure it's not worth it.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Quizlet's games provide good practice for engaging with the language I am studying, though I do not use it very often. I do not use it for SRS at all.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Quizlet's games provide good practice for engaging with the language I am studying, though I do not use it very often. I do not use it for SRS at all.

I forget to specify I'm talking about Quizlet Pro :roll:

Most of Quizlet is indeed completely free.
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm

No I do not like it. It does not fit in with my language learning philosophy. Anki fits my philosophy plus it's really customizable. I hate all these nonsense sites that test you by making you write out the word out correctly and multiple choice tests whether it's this or duolingo or whether it's in the form of a ""game" or flashcards. I like how on anki it's very customizable so if you like bs like that you can set it up like that or if you want the definition and the word on the front you can do that easily quickly for all x hundred cards you have by changing the format while on duolingo and quizlet you have no option but to begrudgingly click or press enter to flip each card to get the definition.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”