Do You Like Quizlet?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Do You Like Quizlet?

Postby smallwhite » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 pm

I've been trying out Quizlet, and I'm really loving it! I like how many of the parameters are configurable, each in a simple, no-frills way. I chose it mainly because of the variety of ways one can fiddle with one's batch of words (word list, slide show, matching, typing, multiple-choice, true/false...) I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it supports flagging - manually ticking which words you want to study in the current session-, something I was previously looking for but couldn't find. And automatic TTS... I'm not even sure if it's TTS or human voice.

As with Memrise, I'm surprised it doesn't get more mention on this forum. I get this feeling that my learning preferences are different from everyone else's :roll:

Do you use Quizlet? Do you like it? How do you use it?
Last edited by smallwhite on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Re: Do You Like Quizlet?

Postby Soclydeza » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:38 am

I've used Quizlet for pretty much the duration of my language learning ventures and I find it to be very good and easy to use, especially with the app. I write down the words I wanna study, put them into Quizlet on my computer and walk around and go through them on my phone. I especially like how they have the voice saying the words - though it may be robotic, it's something. I generally use that as a listening review. I also like the "Learn" feature, where you have to type in the words. I know there are other game-ish features but I don't use them much.

I've started using Memrise lately to study premade vocab lists and I really enjoy that too. In general, if I want to study my own vocab lists, I use Quizlet. If I want to get some random vocab, I'll find a premade list on Memrise.

Quizlet is an awesome tool, very basic and easy to use. For self-made lists, I think it's the best thing out there.
3 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 am

I like quizlet! I don't use it as my primary vocabulary review program, but I easily could. As it stands, I use it for small sets of vocabulary, when I want to do some extra drilling.

I often recommend both anki and quizlet to my adult students. Quizlet seems to appeal to a wider range of people - perhaps not on this forum, but in my experience with language learners in the "real" world.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am

I like Quizlet
Last edited by Elexi on Mon May 11, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:56 pm

I've been using Quizlet for over 3 years now and it is my main resource for learning new vocabulary! It has limitations with certain uncommon languages I've noticed (for example, it isn't able to provide audio for Bulgarian text). Other than that, it's been a wonderful resource for learning my Japanese and Korean vocabulary.

I tried Memrise last summer, but what I noticed about it is that I use it more for reviewing words rather than actually learning them, otherwise it seems to take way too long. I whipped through the "Genki I Vocabulary" set (I know most of the words in this set) and noted the few words I wasn't too familiar with. I realized that even when I got words I didn't know wrong, it would pass me to the next level even if I got the answer after a couple tries. This means I wasn't learning the unfamiliar words, but only seeing them a couple times before the next level. This just isn't enough drilling for me. I will say that the review option is super helpful though, and I could see Memrise working well if I had chosen a set of vocabulary in which I didn't know any of the words, and if I had A LOT of free time to dedicate to it.

Quizlet just is easier for me because I am able to create my own sets, and select trouble words, which is so useful when you just want to focus on a certain number of words rather than keep on reviewing words you already know. It seems to save a lot of time, and keeps things simple. The game options are kind of fun too.

Using online flashcard sets is so much more practical than using paper flashcards, so either one of these sites can work really well for a language learner. Happy studies~

-Xelian-
5 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

Rozzie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40994&PN=1

Postby Rozzie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:14 am

I love it I'm using it as my main source for my Spanish studies at the moment and I enjoy all of their features. :D
1 x

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

The last time i tried Quizlet I felt that the lack of SRS made it quite useless for me, have they added this nowadays, or do you not like using SRS?
1 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Gomex

Postby Gomex » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:41 pm

I love Quizlet and use it for more than two years now!

I found this on DroidGamers.
If you have some easy text flashcards (e.g. vocabulary) you can use an RPG-style learning game which seems to have an SRS built in (if you enjoy learning and gaming at the same time...).

I successfully transferred some spanish vocabulary and played it. Unfortunaterly it's lacking audio though...
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:39 pm

I really need some tips on how to use Quizlet. I'm in a Korean class right now and the teacher uses Quizlet to make vocabulary lists for us. However, I just can't seem to retain anything and I am getting very frustrated. I have always been terrible at learning vocabulary - I just can't work with vocab lists or standard flashcards. Just flipping a flashcard back and forth doesn't work for me, and when I try taking a test in Quizlet I've already forgotten everything.

I am used to Memrise, which quizzes you right after you learn a word and that has been the only way I've ever been able to properly retain vocab. Memrise has been a real life saver. I already found the option to export Quizlet lists to Memrise, but unfortunately it won't import the audio. Our teacher records all the words and I notice I really need the audio to understand the pronunciation.

So I'm at a loss. Can't work with Quizlet, can't use Memrise :( Any suggestions? Ideally to import audio to Memrise, but any suggestions to make the best use of Quizlet are welcome too..
0 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:54 pm

brilliantyears wrote:I really need some tips on how to use Quizlet. I'm in a Korean class right now and the teacher uses Quizlet to make vocabulary lists for us. However, I just can't seem to retain anything and I am getting very frustrated. I have always been terrible at learning vocabulary - I just can't work with vocab lists or standard flashcards. Just flipping a flashcard back and forth doesn't work for me, and when I try taking a test in Quizlet I've already forgotten everything.

I am used to Memrise, which quizzes you right after you learn a word and that has been the only way I've ever been able to properly retain vocab. Memrise has been a real life saver. I already found the option to export Quizlet lists to Memrise, but unfortunately it won't import the audio. Our teacher records all the words and I notice I really need the audio to understand the pronunciation.

So I'm at a loss. Can't work with Quizlet, can't use Memrise :( Any suggestions? Ideally to import audio to Memrise, but any suggestions to make the best use of Quizlet are welcome too..

Do you use the Quizlet games like Scatter and Gravity? I wouldn't try to quiz myself on terms before I played those games for a while. When I used Quizlet, Gravity was a different game but I think the idea is still the same.
0 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”