ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: How to use Anki for multiple languages

Postby arthaey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 am

Serpent wrote:Honestly that sounds like way too many single-word cards. Don't expect to maintain the same enjoyment of the formal methods as you currently have.

I may be new to Anki, but I've been doing SRS flashcards since 2009. I would have expected it to "lose its shine" by now, if it was going to for me. ;)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Postby vm_nm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:32 am

Serpent wrote:Honestly that sounds like way too many single-word cards.

Valid point. I think if a friend asked me how to use Anki for several languages, I'd suggest to simply create one deck per language, and send them this article: http://www.lingholic.com/how-many-words ... ize-a-day/

That said, if someone genuinely enjoys experimenting and tweaking their tools, and derives satisfaction from having their cards set up exactly like they had in mind, why not take advantage of that.

Serpent wrote:Don't expect to maintain the same enjoyment of the formal methods as you currently have.

I imagine if you enjoy it at all, and if the enjoyment is permanent or not, also depends on how you're wired.

I noticed that I personally follow cyclic pattern: I often use SRS heavily for some time (and during that time, tweaking serves as a motivation booster). A few months later, I get bored and feel the need to focus much more on reading / writing / listening / speaking, so I reduce SRS to a minimum. After a while, I realize my vocabulary knowledge is getting weak, so I decide to go back to SRS. Rinse and repeat.

For someone with a more consistent and balanced personality, this might look extremely inefficient, but I found for some reason it works better for me than trying to follow a consistent, balanced long-term plan.

I'll stop here since it's getting off-topic. If people are interested in that particular aspect of using SRS, maybe we could open a new thread for that?
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Formal learning gets boring more easily when you add more languages, or when you finally reach "fluency" in one ;) I used flashcards/SRS mostly in like 2005-2010 so it's never too late to get bored, especially if you switch apps :)

Enjoyment also doesn't guarantee improvement. :roll: Would you say you effortlessly think in Spanish without translating from English?..

On the old HTLAL you listed your level as intermediate, here as advanced. And I'd say you're indeed pretty good ;) My impression is that you mostly need to continue getting input, and get more if possible. If SRS is more enjoyable than reading/watching/writing, something is off. I certainly agree with the rec to use authentic sentences, rather than dictionary examples.

Essentially, words simply don't fit so neatly into boxes.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks, everyone! I think I've gotten what I needed out of this thread. :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”